ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to upgrade  (Read 13410 times)

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
Re: Time to upgrade
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 10:44:23 PM »

On paper, it would take 6 TH118's (at ~22kw) to keep up with 4 DBH218's (at ~28kw).  Do you want to move less, bigger boxes or more, smaller boxes?  Which is more scalable for you?

I'm a firm believer in Tapped Horns but the Danley folks even say the DBH218 is killer.  My money would be on the DBH218 going lower (especially when arrayed).

I'm not sure that I helped. :)

Jeff

P.S. buy scaffold or fly the tops

Randall Hyde

Re: Time to upgrade-Don't jump so fast
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 10:14:23 PM »

I guess this is the payback for all the shows where we have to fight stage spill in FOH, but I usually find the amount of wash back onto the stage unacceptable with center clustered subs, if no attempt is made at arraying them.

I actually have a strong preference for flown subs. Not everything is about maximum output.

Yes, flown sounds much better in many cases.
Someday I hope to graduate to the big boys and work with flown subs; the liability is just to great at the level I'm working at now.

BTW, just switching to cardiod subs using 8 JBL SRX 728s this year. Hoping that cleans up the stage mud versus the 4 cabinets I've been using this past year. Definitely stage volume has been a big issue for me.
cheers,
Randy Hyde

John Chiara

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 11:05:33 PM »

I'm pretty sure Jeff knows WTF he's doing.

"Per side" is still the standard way of doing things when you don't have control of where your subs can be placed.   Barricades, etc.....

"Per side" happens to me 90% of the time on a small-medium size shows...but seriously, this last season I did a bunch of 700-1000 seat outdoor amphitheater type setups and in all of them the "per side" setup yielded superior results. Also in 3-400 seat indoor/outdoor fair type pavilions where the setup puts the stage along a long wall...or other setups where wide horizontal coverage is needed. Most center sub arrays have serious dropoff at a relatively small angle off axis in structures this size.

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 11:27:56 PM »

On paper, it would take 6 TH118's (at ~22kw) to keep up with 4 DBH218's (at ~28kw).  Do you want to move less, bigger boxes or more, smaller boxes?  Which is more scalable for you?

I'm a firm believer in Tapped Horns but the Danley folks even say the DBH218 is killer.  My money would be on the DBH218 going lower (especially when arrayed).

I'm not sure that I helped. :)

Jeff

P.S. buy scaffold or fly the tops

Thank you for 1 person having a on topic post..
I'm really leaning towards 6 TH118's since they would have the height I need for tops.. scaff doesn't fit in the same footprint and I think the DBH are gonna be in a different power class than I can feasibly use on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:59:01 PM by Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney) »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 08:51:19 AM »

Thank you for 1 person having a on topic post..
I'm really leaning towards 6 TH118's since they would have the height I need for tops.. scall doesn't fit in the same footprint and I think the DBH are gonna be in a different power class than I can feasibly use on a regular basis.
As usual in audio there are a lot of things to consider.

How you use them is a biggie.  The TH118's are much easier to transport-I guy does it easlity, while the DBH218 really needs 2 guys-if you are going to be laying them down/stacking etc.

The Th118's will stack taller with less boxes (great if you are putting tops on top of them). 3 per side-(laying on their sides stacked up) is  pretty serious output. It would take more of the DBH218's to get to the same height-take more labor-more truck space etc.

However 3 DBH218's are going to have a good bit more "get up and go" than  3 Th118's.

I were to go back into the rental business and do the same sort of gigs I used to do-( a wide variety of styles/sized-venues) I would choose the Th118-if for no other reason-for portability and scaleability.  I could easily use 1 or 8 per side as needed.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »

As usual in audio there are a lot of things to consider.

How you use them is a biggie.  The TH118's are much easier to transport-I guy does it easlity, while the DBH218 really needs 2 guys-if you are going to be laying them down/stacking etc.

The Th118's will stack taller with less boxes (great if you are putting tops on top of them). 3 per side-(laying on their sides stacked up) is  pretty serious output. It would take more of the DBH218's to get to the same height-take more labor-more truck space etc.

However 3 DBH218's are going to have a good bit more "get up and go" than  3 Th118's.

I were to go back into the rental business and do the same sort of gigs I used to do-( a wide variety of styles/sized-venues) I would choose the Th118-if for no other reason-for portability and scaleability.  I could easily use 1 or 8 per side as needed.

My concern is that 6 TH118's won't have near as much SPL as 8 LS1208's... 6 DBH's are not in my budget (or power budget) so its not really a fair comparison.

Also this is specifically for EDM - so we are gonna bang the heck out of them.. and they way it looks power configuration wise we probably can only get about 1800 watts a box... which isn't exactly as much power as I should have. Altho from my experience with your products before the tapped horns have better-than-real-life sensitivity.

The labs on the other hand would be closer to their power range.. they are just a much larger, heavier, hard to lift box... and I could have 8 of them.

I'm also kind of looking around to see what plans exist these days for other horn projects that may fit the bill.  I almost think having something that is ferrite with high sensitivity would be preferrably (thinking 1000watt RMS) on a single 18". Everyone seems to be going big power - and I can't really do big power in this particular scenario.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »

My concern is that 6 TH118's won't have near as much SPL as 8 LS1208's... 6 DBH's are not in my budget (or power budget) so its not really a fair comparison.

Also this is specifically for EDM - so we are gonna bang the heck out of them.. and they way it looks power configuration wise we probably can only get about 1800 watts a box... which isn't exactly as much power as I should have. Altho from my experience with your products before the tapped horns have better-than-real-life sensitivity.

The labs on the other hand would be closer to their power range.. they are just a much larger, heavier, hard to lift box... and I could have 8 of them.

It is hard say how the output (both level and low freq extension) would stand up-without accurate measurements of the LS1208.

One way you could get an idea is to look at the measurements from the MD sub shootout a number of years ago.  There was a LS1208 and a Th115 there.  While not abosolute-they are comparative-and then you could comapre the differences to the differences between the Th115 and the Th118.  It would get you close anyway.

I have the files, but cannot directly help you as the measurements were done in Smaart 6.  I never got that version (only 3,5,7)

I'm also kind of looking around to see what plans exist these days for other horn projects that may fit the bill.  I almost think having something that is ferrite with high sensitivity would be preferrably (thinking 1000watt RMS) on a single 18". Everyone seems to be going big power - and I can't really do big power in this particular scenario.
You might want to "rethink" the power issue a little bit.  Just because a particular loudspeaker can "handle" a particular power does not mean tha you HAVE to use that much power.  As long as you keep the amps out of clip, running cabinets with less than max power will only  result in a longer life.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:01:51 AM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 10:49:46 PM »

Jeff,

Contact Langston Holland, he's also down in FL and knows how to get the most out of TH118's.  He's powering them with Lab Gruppen PLM14000's I believe running ONE TH118 per channel.

I would think that 6 TH118's will do what you're looking for in less space. 

Another suggestion would be trying some high powered amps on your existing LS1208's.  In my experience with bridged PLX's, they didn't seem to perform up to my expectations (especially when the AC power is poor).  Try something like QSC PL380's at a minimum.

Jeff

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 10:55:17 AM »

Aren't both boxes the same width?  That means that 3 boxes of either (stacked on their sides) will be the same height?  Maybe I'm not understanding the stacking technique?
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 12:40:43 PM »

Aren't both boxes the same width?  That means that 3 boxes of either (stacked on their sides) will be the same height?  Maybe I'm not understanding the stacking technique?
Yeah my wording was a bit "off".

I was thinking from a price standpoint.  Yes they are both 22.5" tall.  For the same dollar standpoint, the DBH218's would not be as tall or from an output standpoint-for an equal level, the TH118's would be taller.

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 12:40:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.