Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Using Smaart to determine delays on a processor

(1/4) > >>

Johnny Diaz:
I would like to use Smaart to determine how much delay there is from the input stage to the output stage of my dsp. How would I accomplish this?

Timo Beckman:

--- Quote from: Johnny Diaz on November 12, 2011, 11:55:53 AM ---I would like to use Smaart to determine how much delay there is from the input stage to the output stage of my dsp. How would I accomplish this?

--- End quote ---

Hook up smaart to the input of the processor and the output of the processor to your soundcard and put pink noise trough it (turn of phantom power if you do this) . Hit auto small/large . The value you get is the processor latency .

Johnny Diaz:

--- Quote from: Timo Beckman on November 12, 2011, 12:14:29 PM ---Hook up smaart to the input of the processor and the output of the processor to your soundcard and put pink noise trough it (turn of phantom power if you do this) . Hit auto small/large . The value you get is the processor latency .

--- End quote ---

So I would connect my reference signal to the input of the dsp and the measurement signal to the output of the dsp?  Would the pink noise be through smaart? 

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Johnny Diaz on November 12, 2011, 12:49:30 PM ---So I would connect my reference signal to the input of the dsp and the measurement signal to the output of the dsp?  Would the pink noise be through smaart?

--- End quote ---

Split the reference signal between the DSP input and reference channel for your analyzer.  DSP output is the measurement channel.  You can use the noise generator if you wish.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on November 12, 2011, 12:55:04 PM ---Split the reference signal between the DSP input and reference channel for your analyzer.  DSP output is the measurement channel.  You can use the noise generator if you wish.

--- End quote ---
Or any other input signal-be it a sine wave-music-whatever.

All that most of the various systems are doing is comparing a known input to an unknown output-and showing the difference-be it in time-phase-amplitude etc.

With of course a bunch of various measurement parameters associated with the resultant measurement-windowing-number of samples-averaging-weighting etc.

The same difference can look very different-depending on the parameters of the above factors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version