ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another extension cable question.  (Read 2246 times)

Thomas Lamb

Yet another extension cable question.
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:10:37 PM »

So I'm about to by some rack mount power distros for my amp rack which I'm looking forward to. I've decided the manufacturer and I also had them quote extension cables 8-5 with 21-30s. Any way they were quoted as "non UL" I normally make my own cables so I've been looking at bulk pricing. Non UL is considerably cheaper. It's still SO will this cause me any issues?
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Yet another extension cable question.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »

My opinion -- and it's worth every penny you paid for it -- is that if all of the components are UL listed, and they are installed according to the manufacturer's instructions, the cordset should be safe.

As for the set quoted as "non UL" they may indeed be made of all UL listed components, installed according to manufacturer's instructions, but the fully assembled cordset is not itself UL listed. Perhaps the manufacturer does not have authority to market cordsets they assemble as UL listed.

UL listing applies to the full assembly of a product, or to particular subassemblies. For example, a replacement plug with the UL mark simply indicates that subassembly has been tested and listed by Underwriters' Laboratories. In order for the cordset to be listed, the manufacturer would have to provide a sample cordset of the same design to UL for inspection, testing, and listing. Alternatively, UL provides means for manufacturers to become listing agents, so they can "list" some of their products without submitting them to UL.

Your insurance company may have something to say about this, as well.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Yet another extension cable question.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.