ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New (to me) JBL SRX 722 / SRX 728 Rig....WOW!!!!  (Read 21845 times)

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
Re: New (to me) JBL SRX 722 / SRX 728 Rig....WOW!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 03:58:58 AM »

SRXs go just fine over LabSubs as well - they sound as good as my previous experiment (a disasterous delve into BFM boxes) sounded bad!.
M

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »

Mike,
When I moved to the SRX line years ago my goal at the time was to replace a good sounding system with an even better sounding system, which of course is always the goal. I had moved from JBL, to EV, then to Bag End, then purchased SRX 725s and put those over my existing Bag End subs. This included some power upgrades, etc., and I soon found myself with the need for more bottom end as the 725s easily over powered the Bag End 18s.

I was OK with this for a while because the 725s more than made up for most of the low end loss with the dual 15s and the progressive transition from driver to driver down to about 45hz. So I adjusted my crossover appropriately and lived with the results. Eventually I replaced the Bag End subs with the 551P-TACs and 718s, a match made in heaven.

So, in response to your statement I think you'll remember how critical everyone was of the Vertec and SRX lines. "Ice pick", "Shrill", "I hate JBL" etc. are statements I remember. I know you'll also remember that my stance has always been favorable as a lifetime JBL fan.

Now if you'll remember back a bit there has been a 180 degree turn around with those statements since JBL came out with their V4 settings for the Vertec and the newer settings for the SRX. I have never thought the SRX boxes were shrill, needed excessive EQ, or lacked in tonal quality, but maybe that's just me. What can be said though is the SRX boxes more than do the job, will last forever if cared for properly, and have wonderful tone.

I've spent a lot of money on my personal system knowing since the 60's that any system will sound only as good as it's weakest piece. I also know that there are some better sounding cabinets out there for double and triple the cost, but I'll be damned if I can hear enough difference to justify that cost. With the addition of my APB Pro House I now here sound that has been missing for quite some time, sounds that become even more apparent when supplimenting the backline with XV-3080 sound modules. So I agree with you Mike and add that the SRX line can sound good over anything if you take the time to set them up properly.

As I move towards the day when the truck doors close for the last time I find myself working fewer and smaller gigs, mostly 1000 people or less in medium to small sized halls and clubs. The day will come, and when it does I'll be happy knowing that in over 45 years JBL has not let me down. Not once, not ever.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »

Mike,
When I moved to the SRX line years ago my goal at the time was to replace a good sounding system with an even better sounding system, which of course is always the goal. I had moved from JBL, to EV, then to Bag End, then purchased SRX 725s and put those over my existing Bag End subs. This included some power upgrades, etc., and I soon found myself with the need for more bottom end as the 725s easily over powered the Bag End 18s.

I was OK with this for a while because the 725s more than made up for most of the low end loss with the dual 15s and the progressive transition from driver to driver down to about 45hz. So I adjusted my crossover appropriately and lived with the results. Eventually I replaced the Bag End subs with the 551P-TACs and 718s, a match made in heaven.

So, in response to your statement I think you'll remember how critical everyone was of the Vertec and SRX lines. "Ice pick", "Shrill", "I hate JBL" etc. are statements I remember. I know you'll also remember that my stance has always been favorable as a lifetime JBL fan.

Now if you'll remember back a bit there has been a 180 degree turn around with those statements since JBL came out with their V4 settings for the Vertec and the newer settings for the SRX. I have never thought the SRX boxes were shrill, needed excessive EQ, or lacked in tonal quality, but maybe that's just me. What can be said though is the SRX boxes more than do the job, will last forever if cared for properly, and have wonderful tone.

I've spent a lot of money on my personal system knowing since the 60's that any system will sound only as good as it's weakest piece. I also know that there are some better sounding cabinets out there for double and triple the cost, but I'll be damned if I can hear enough difference to justify that cost. With the addition of my APB Pro House I now here sound that has been missing for quite some time, sounds that become even more apparent when supplimenting the backline with XV-3080 sound modules. So I agree with you Mike and add that the SRX line can sound good over anything if you take the time to set them up properly.

As I move towards the day when the truck doors close for the last time I find myself working fewer and smaller gigs, mostly 1000 people or less in medium to small sized halls and clubs. The day will come, and when it does I'll be happy knowing that in over 45 years JBL has not let me down. Not once, not ever.
Ive heard the Vertecs and my first impression was fantastic midrange.  Sizzle and Boom is easy to achieve but with midrange done right there aint no better.   Listen to well recorded classical piano music through a sound system and you will know immediatly if the midrange is not right. 

Randall Hyde

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »

SRXs go just fine over LabSubs as well - they sound as good as my previous experiment (a disasterous delve into BFM boxes) sounded bad!.
M

I would be interested in hearing about your experience with the BFM cabinets (subs, I assume, Titans?). I've never, ever considered them because I'm not a carpenter and having them built costs almost as much as an SRX 728 cabinet, so why bother (nothing screams "amateur" quite like homemade speakers, I've always said). Not to mention the fact that I'd be concerned about how well 1/2" plywood would stand up to disinterested road crew and how well the Eminence speakers would stand up to disinterested sound engineers -- "disinterested" meaning they didn't pay for the gear out of their own pockets).

I've always wonder how far the real world is from the hype on the BFM web site. Lots of BFM owners swear by the boxes, but I suspect that once you've invested the effort to build a set your opinion of them will be a little biased.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:53:12 AM by Randall Hyde »

Randall Hyde

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »

Amen, Bob.
I blew a HF compression driver in an (MI) MPro 225 cabinet once. That's been the extent of my problems with JBL gear (both MI and Pro stuff). Their drivers are incredible. I've had a sound engineer clipping an IT8K into a 725 all night long with no problems (other than the reaming out I gave him when I discovered what was going on).

About the only problem I have with the SRX line is that you're crowd-size limited with them. I've done shows with 3,000-4,000 people (using a pair of SRX 725 cabs as delay stacks 3/4 of the way out), but once you rise about 3,000 or so people a better rig is called for.  Hopefully, I'll save enough pennies to get a decent Danley setup within a couple of years to handle larger shows (either a pile of SH46 cabs or a couple of J2 cabs).

To the OP: I have six SRX 725 cabs and six SRX 728s cabs. Most shows (1,500 or less) I run four of each and it works great. The 722 cabs you've got should work equally well.

The SRX line, to me, is the entry point for "professional audio." Anything less is MI. Not to suggest that MI isn't appropriate for some gigs (indeed, I'm thinking of getting some JBL PRX or QSC KW cabinets for a "C" rig this next year), but no one will complain *too* much about SRX gear.  Having said that, I would point out that one of my recent shows in October was with Larry Dunn (of Earth, Wind, and Fire). The band's engineer suggested that my system (four SRX 725, four SRX 728s, and SRX 712m monitors) was sufficient for a "wedding band". Great way to get on the good side of the sound company :).
cheers,
Randy Hyde

kel mcguire

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »

Amen, Bob.
I blew a HF compression driver in an (MI) MPro 225 cabinet once. That's been the extent of my problems with JBL gear (both MI and Pro stuff). Their drivers are incredible. I've had a sound engineer clipping an IT8K into a 725 all night long with no problems (other than the reaming out I gave him when I discovered what was going on).

About the only problem I have with the SRX line is that you're crowd-size limited with them. I've done shows with 3,000-4,000 people (using a pair of SRX 725 cabs as delay stacks 3/4 of the way out), but once you rise about 3,000 or so people a better rig is called for.  Hopefully, I'll save enough pennies to get a decent Danley setup within a couple of years to handle larger shows (either a pile of SH46 cabs or a couple of J2 cabs).

To the OP: I have six SRX 725 cabs and six SRX 728s cabs. Most shows (1,500 or less) I run four of each and it works great. The 722 cabs you've got should work equally well.

The SRX line, to me, is the entry point for "professional audio." Anything less is MI. Not to suggest that MI isn't appropriate for some gigs (indeed, I'm thinking of getting some JBL PRX or QSC KW cabinets for a "C" rig this next year), but no one will complain *too* much about SRX gear.  Having said that, I would point out that one of my recent shows in October was with Larry Dunn (of Earth, Wind, and Fire). The band's engineer suggested that my system (four SRX 725, four SRX 728s, and SRX 712m monitors) was sufficient for a "wedding band". Great way to get on the good side of the sound company :).
cheers,
Randy Hyde

hah "wedding band" what a jackass... I guess "line array" is the shizzle if you are a real soundman.

this isn't really a JBL props/fanboy thread I realize.

I have owned many a JBL product.  I really have not found too many brands or products i could not get along with on some capacity. I've had 10 or so of the Sr4700 series that worked well, made me a decent living and helped my business grow. i have 6 pieces of MRX that do a good job too.

every summer I have mixed a concert series  on a 2x 725 over 1x 728 system each side powered by RMX 4050 and 2450 amps, ran Biamped processed w a DBX DR. I admit I struggled with the system, especially at first. It seemed harsh, aggressive and I seemingly chased after a good blend week to week. Part of the issue of this concert series is the big foldable aluminum stage with nothing resembling a soft surface save for the performers themselves. But, i have grown to appreciate the system. I have found some good settings in the DR and learned the areas of the high end that were unpleasant to me.

These park concerts can get upwards of 2000-3000 people. The JBLs hang well and I am continually pleased with them. I find the 725s to be very focused on it's horn pattern to where even a couple feet one way makes a difference. The cabinets are damped well too..to me thats a sign of quality.

The 728 is badass, it pumps out warm fat subs and covers the gig really well. The RMX4050hd works well with it.

bottom line, i would own this system and i know it would deliver years of great shows..

Randall Hyde

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 12:29:22 AM »

hah "wedding band" what a jackass... I guess "line array" is the shizzle if you are a real soundman.
I should mention that the venue was a closed event for 300-500 people. He wanted an arena-capable system for, at most, 500 people. Sheesh.

We were running 105 dB (slow, C-weighted) at FOH, about 120' from the stage.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »

We were running 105 dB (slow, C-weighted) at FOH, about 120' from the stage.
Glad I wasn't 20ft from stage!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 07:19:31 PM »

Having said that, I would point out that one of my recent shows in October was with Larry Dunn (of Earth, Wind, and Fire). The band's engineer suggested that my system (four SRX 725, four SRX 728s, and SRX 712m monitors) was sufficient for a "wedding band". Great way to get on the good side of the sound company :) .
cheers,
Randy Hyde

Randy,
My answer to that asshole would have been simple.

I would have looked him straight in the eye and said "You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't see the problem. Last time I asked I was told you were a wedding band."
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »

Randy,
My answer to that asshole would have been simple.

I would have looked him straight in the eye and said "You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't see the problem. Last time I asked I was told you were a wedding band."

Great response. I'll have to remember that!
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.