ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: advertised SPL ratings on active speakers?  (Read 13564 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: advertised SPL ratings on active speakers?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 06:48:17 pm »

Wouldn't that be POPOSS?

JR

Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 07:09:12 pm »

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »

To the OP:

The MI range QSC K, QSC KW, Yamaha DSR, and EV Live X are all decent speakers.  Way better than the Behringers and JRX entry crap, and not as good as SRX or Meyer.

Now, it is my opinion that MI gear in the hands of a good soundman will compete decently with the high end stuff in venues of <300.  The bottom feeder speakers could not every be made to carry such a venue and would sound bad even in a 50 person venue ;)

Of the powered 12's out there, the KW122's and DSR112's top my list having better head room and rounder sound than the rest of the pack.  The Live X's and PRX's sounded about the same to me with the PRX getting the nod since the finish on the LiveX is pure crap.

I own the DSR112's and can say with certainty that they are a very powerful speaker and stay clear and punchy to very high levels (way louder than anyone would be comfortable with in a store speaker room).

They are rated at 134db.  Is that BS?  Well, considering that the JBL SRX712 is rated at 131db and the Meyer UPA-1p is rated at 133db, perhaps so.  I seriously doubt that a DSR112 could hang with the UPA-1P (one of the best sounding speakers I have heard).

Still, for your purposes, a DSR112 over a PRX618 XLF would likely blow away any club you are currently doing and would be very light and easy to carry.  If you want to get a matching rig of PRX612's over XLF's, that will sound good too (I just really liked the DSR's punch better).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 23 queries.