ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub hunting.  (Read 6678 times)

Drew West

Sub hunting.
« on: November 08, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »

I'm looking for some CHEAP subs. Size and weight don't matter at all, I'm just looking for as much bang for my buck as possible. Will start off with just 1 sub for sure, as we only have 1 EV ELX 112 atm anyways.

Something around 2-250 is about all I can afford. How are the dual 15 Nady's?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/nady-psw-152-dual-15-subwoofer/609024000000000

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
Re: Sub hunting.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »

It will sound better than a photo of a sub, but not by much.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »

I'm looking for some CHEAP subs. Size and weight don't matter at all, I'm just looking for as much bang for my buck as possible. Will start off with just 1 sub for sure, as we only have 1 EV ELX 112 atm anyways.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/nady-psw-152-dual-15-subwoofer/609024000000000

Save your money for something that works.  The Nady is an unmitigated piece of shit that you will regret buying the moment you plug it in.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Drew West

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »

lol, so Nady is a no no, got it. What about one of these? I guess I can hope for some used Yammy's or something, but IDK where I'd get them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-eurolive-professional-b1800x-pro-subwoofer

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-eurolive-vp1800s-1600w-18-subwoofer

Bryan Mac Berntsen

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »

It will sound better than a photo of a sub, but not by much.

^^^ thats awesome!!!!!

I used a pair of behringer active speakers in my first band I was in as floor monitors.  We beat the hell out of them, spilled pitchers of beer on them, stood on them, had drunk people on dance floor fall on them and nock them over, fell off shelves in trailer during transport to and from giggs, used the limiter lights as our light show...... ect and they held up just fine.  They didnt sound that horriable either. I read an article about how behringer pretty much bought a town in China and turned it into a factory where its employees and ther families also lived.  It equated to better efficency to keep prices down while still producing a decent quality german designed product.  I know, too much info!!!  lol....  In my opinion, best budget gear by far!!!!!

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:24:34 PM »

Drew, the cheapest sub you can buy that will work for a while, and get you by will be something from a known name with a track record (thats how the company got there to begin with.)

Products to generally avoid are Nady, Behringer (generally,) Pyle, Seismic Audio, Kustom, and that general class of products.

Best, cheap sub you might find would be a Yamaha, Carvin, Cerwin Vega, Sonic, and lower end Yorkville or Peavey.  Not great, but functional subs, and should be available in your price range or close if you do some looking.

Bryan Mac Berntsen

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »

Drew, the cheapest sub you can buy that will work for a while, and get you by will be something from a known name with a track record (thats how the company got there to begin with.)

Products to generally avoid are Nady, Behringer (generally,) Pyle, Seismic Audio, Kustom, and that general class of products.

Best, cheap sub you might find would be a Yamaha, Carvin, Cerwin Vega, Sonic, and lower end Yorkville or Peavey.  Not great, but functional subs, and should be available in your price range or close if you do some looking.

I agree with Stuart but with my experience, I would put behringer in the acceptable group and maybe above sonic and lower end peavey.  Theres alot of bar bands in my area that uses behringer gear and it surprisingly sounds decent and seem to hold up well......  But as stated, used higher end is the way to go and I wouldnt touch nady, pyle, Kustom period!!!!

chuck clark

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »

+1 Mr. McCullough.  I know a BUNCH of people who own Behringer 18" subs who wish they had something better.  At least get Yam Club V  (not club IV) or recent Peavey SP series with lowriders. Over the years I've learned you need to avoid weenie subs. The best cheap sub I've found in 20 yrs. is the DLX series Wharfedale. WARNING: do NOT get any lower line Wharfedales than the DLX or that "dissappointment" factor will creep back up on you! Good luck.
Chuck

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 10:48:22 PM »

Seriously, I would save a few more pennies, and get a used sub locally.  Powered would be better since you have powered tops IMHO.

You could get into a LiveX sub for ~700.00  or a little less if you do some shopping.

Your top was ~$600.00.  Surely you would want a sub of similar quality?

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 11:12:10 AM »

I agree with Stuart but with my experience, I would put behringer in the acceptable group and maybe above sonic and lower end peavey.  Theres alot of bar bands in my area that uses behringer gear and it surprisingly sounds decent and seem to hold up well......  But as stated, used higher end is the way to go and I wouldnt touch nady, pyle, Kustom period!!!!

Drew, I think Stuart's scale is spot on.  I think low end Yorkville or Peavey is where most of the self-respecting guys like myself would dare to start (if I absolutely had to).  People are coming up with some real schlock suggestions just because of your given budget.  Are you looking for a sub that is capable of playing music, or are you looking for just a "token" piece of gear.

Gus Housen

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »

for 5 or 6 bills go used
Check your local craigslist

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 12:55:27 AM »

for 5 or 6 bills go used
Check your local craigslist

I agree.  There are some good deals out there on JBL 4718's, for example, and they will kill any of the lower level brands mentioned.

Doug Maye

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »

Save some more money. At that price there just isn't anything that will last. A recone kit for a decent 18" driver will cost more than that. If you go to about $400 you may be able to find a Proel Flash15SA thats left over. They've replaced it with a higher powered model. The 15SA has a 350 watt amp in it. I use them for drummers monitors,with a QSC HPR122i and they help a lot. Not a bad little box and definitely a decent bang for the buck.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.