ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Paraline Series PSA1 compared to other Yorkville powered speakers  (Read 28464 times)

Mike Javier

Re: Yorkville Paraline Series PSA1 compared to other Yorkville powered speakers
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »

My only concern is Yorkville was always a great performance to value leader. A box that is in the $1700 range I would be looking to VRX or JFL tops in that price range. Even though the yorkville is powered I still have a hard time dropping $1700 per box with out some kind of name recognition through out the rental market. To me once a product breaks a certain price barrier I start looking to put that money into something else. Not to say anyone else would have the same hesitations I do.

Nate, I totally understand your hesitations.  Before deciding on the Paralines, the JBL Vrxs, QSC K Lins, and  DB Technologies DVA T4s were all considered.  I decided on the Yorkvilles based on a few factors.  I liked the amplifier configuration they used in which a class D amp powers the low mids and a Class H drives the Highs.  I like the drivers they use (18 Sound and BMS). The dispersion is a true 110 by 15 from each end of the box to the other (the way a true line array is supposed to be).  Lastly,  other than the DVA T4s, I can see where the cost to manufacture would raise the street price.  The Yorkvilles are made in Canada whereas some of the boxes like QSC are made in China.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »

I would appreciate your opinion on these speakers, especially from the people who used them and also used some of the other Yorkville powered speakers. We play mostly classic rock style of music. Small places. Not trying to be overly loud but still have decent punch to get people moving.

Frank

Hi Frank,
I have used the PSA1 system (4 tops and 4 subs) and directly compared them against QSC KLA and DVA T4, as well as against some powered trap boxes such as the Mackie HD1531.

To be honest, I was quite disappointed.

The good:
Excellent consistent coverage within the pattern
Simple controls
Relatively light weight
Looks good on paper (paraline etc etc)

The not so good:
Sonically not on par with other products in that pricerange.  KLA,  T4, and even HD1531(though HD1531 is not apples to apples) sound considerably better IMHO.  In particular, the midrange near the box crossover point just does not sound right, and no amount of EQ can correct this.  I expected to fire up some tracks and smile, but instead frowned - I never did get the rig where I wanted it.  With a bit of low-midbass boost and a few other EQ tweaks it was improved, but never satisfying for a product at that price point.

I wish I had fired up Smaart, but alas did not have time to do so.

Additionally, the rigging and pole mounting implementation worries me a bit.  It did not feel very secure, and with 2 tops mounted on a tripod it felt tippy, so much so that I switched to some larger Manfrotto crank stands.

The subs were also fairly uninspiring, despite the listed specs they do not seem to go very low, and are a bit muddy in their top end range, though for their quite compact size they are ok performers.

Apparently Yorkville does not use the same BMS HF driver as used in their VTC Paraline boxes, and this was evident, as having used that driver in other designs I expected more from the cab.....

I should back up a bit and say this - they are not terrible products.  You could put on a respectable sounding show with these. 

However, in my own opinion, this is a competitive marketplace and I believe there are quite a few other products on the market that are worth considering before dropping nearly 15K into a 2 over 2 per side rig of these. 

I should also note that I tried this system in 2 different listening environments and circumstances, so my opinions are not simply the result of a one-off bad room experience.

FWIW you should also note that I have no bias against Yorkville and have plenty of experience with their other products.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:17:15 PM by Jeff Babcock »

Frank Povazanj

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »

Thanks Jeff for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Frank

Rob Gow

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »

How do the tops compare to a U15? Would it be possible to run one or 2 tops per side, over a pair of LS800p's?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.