ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Paraline Series PSA1 compared to other Yorkville powered speakers  (Read 28439 times)

Frank Povazanj

I see that my local L&M store now has these available for rent:
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=402&cat=64&type=29

I saw them in the store (did not listen to them). They look very nice, small and compact. Subs are heavy but easy to move around. L&M guy told me that live bands are happy with them, DJ not very much (except with the sub).

I normally rent pair of NX750 for tops and pair of NX720S for subs. That works well for my band in small places (up to 100 people top). I mic everything including drums and bring things into the mix as needed. So this is my reference setup.

On paper the tops are close to NX750 and sub is close to two NX720S subs. To be safe I think I would like to take two tops per side and just one sub (ideally two of them). That should work well. However for the practical reasons I am thinking of maybe getting only one top per side plus one sub.

I would appreciate your opinion on these speakers, especially from the people who used them and also used some of the other Yorkville powered speakers. We play mostly classic rock style of music. Small places. Not trying to be overly loud but still have decent punch to get people moving.

I could not find any discussions in this form on this topic, please point me to some if I missed something.

Thanks,
Frank

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI

IMO they are to brand new to the market to have any actuall useage comparisons.
I can say, for the price they are asking for them they had better be amazing.

I can't see (2) tops & (2) bottoms per side being any better then a single EF500P/LS801P per side that I run now.....especially for the $12-14 thousand.....thousand dollars more..

I see these being an epic failure at there current price point, only time will tell.

Frank Povazanj

I can't see (2) tops & (2) bottoms per side being any better then a single EF500P/LS801P per side that I run now.....especially for the $12-14 thousand.....thousand dollars more..

I agree with you on EF500P vs 2 x PSA1 tops. There might not be much difference in power, however I would expect better sound from 2 PSA1 tops. And on paper one PSA1 top is close to one EF500P, so to compare prices it might be more fair to compare one to one.

On the other hand LS801P and a single PSA1 subs have similar specs, I don't think you would need two of PSA1s for one LS801P.

I am not sure where are you getting the prices ... from what I can see (at least here in Canada):

PSA1 top: $1,725.00           128dB Peak (125dB Continuous)
PSA1s sub: $1,799.00       135dB Peak (129dB Continuous)

EF500P: $1,499.00       133dB Peak (127dB Continuous)
LS801P: $1,450.00       140dB Peak (134dB Continuous)

From the practical point, PSA is the winner being about half of the weight of EF/LS.

I agree this is a new thing and it has to prove itself. Since for our next gig organizer is paying for the rental, I will probably rent some of those and try them.

Rob Gow

I say if you are going to rent them, rent 2 of each, for each side.

I'm curious as well, to see what the big deal is. Don't know if I can justify replacing my U15/LS800p combination, that's paid for.

;)

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI

I am not sure where are you getting the prices ... from what I can see (at least here in Canada):

PSA1 top: $1,725.00           128dB Peak (125dB Continuous)
PSA1s sub: $1,799.00       135dB Peak (129dB Continuous)

EF500P: $1,499.00       133dB Peak (127dB Continuous)
LS801P: $1,450.00       140dB Peak (134dB Continuous)

My pricing is based on (2) PSA1 tops & (2) PSA1 subs per side, as compared to (1) EF500P & (1) LS801P per side.
Because from what I am seeing you will need the two tops/subs per side of the PSA series to compete with a single top/sub per side of the EF/LS setup.

Again, I am just guessing as I have not heard the PSA setup, but I use every weekend a EF/LS setup.

Rob Gow

My pricing is based on (2) PSA1 tops & (2) PSA1 subs per side, as compared to (1) EF500P & (1) LS801P per side.
Because from what I am seeing you will need the two tops/subs per side of the PSA series to compete with a single top/sub per side of the EF/LS setup.

Again, I am just guessing as I have not heard the PSA setup, but I use every weekend a EF/LS setup.

Yup. I did the math, in Alberta, with a 5% sales tax, 4 tops and 4 subs are approx. $14,800 out the door.

Mike Javier

Frank, I recently purchased a few of the top and bottom boxes of the Paraline series.  As far as your question in regards to the NX series, the Paraline will out do the NXs.  I've been a Yorkville user for over 16 years, and I personally believe these are the best boxes Yorkville has come out with in a long time.  As far as Yorkville, our inventory includes the 500p, U15s, 801ps, NX 750s, TX4s, and more, but I could not be more impressed with the scalability, portability, and most importantly the sound quality that the Paralines  provide.  Yes, they are bit costly, but in my opinion they are definitely worth the money.

Frank Povazanj

Frank, I recently purchased a few of the top and bottom boxes of the Paraline series.  As far as your question in regards to the NX series, the Paraline will out do the NXs.  I've been a Yorkville user for over 16 years, and I personally believe these are the best boxes Yorkville has come out with in a long time.  As far as Yorkville, our inventory includes the 500p, U15s, 801ps, NX 750s, TX4s, and more, but I could not be more impressed with the scalability, portability, and most importantly the sound quality that the Paralines  provide.  Yes, they are bit costly, but in my opinion they are definitely worth the money.

Thanks for the info Mike. When you say Paraline will out do the NXs, do you mean two PS1 tops vs one NX750 or one to one? I am sure two will out do a single NX but not sure about one.

I would really like to try them and I think I will do that 26/27 November when I have two events that I need a PA for. I will rent four tops (two per side) and only one sub. I know many people here will say one sub is not enough however I think that will fit what I need (for kick and some of the bass guitar).

I like the fact that they are modular and easy to move around by one person (at least the tops, not sure about the sub).

Nate Conti

My only concern is Yorkville was always a great performance to value leader. A box that is in the $1700 range I would be looking to VRX or JFL tops in that price range. Even though the yorkville is powered I still have a hard time dropping $1700 per box with out some kind of name recognition through out the rental market. To me once a product breaks a certain price barrier I start looking to put that money into something else. Not to say anyone else would have the same hesitations I do.
Crescent Pro Audio

Mike Javier

Frank,
IMHO, the Paralines will outperform the NXs in a 1 to 1 shootout.  Depending on how many people you are addressing, (It sounded like less than 200) I would not hesitate to take a pair of PSA1 and one sub.   Be prepared to be impressed.  The horizontal coverage is very nice.  No hot spots and very even distribution through the mid'hi bandwidth. 

Mike Javier

Re: Yorkville Paraline Series PSA1 compared to other Yorkville powered speakers
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »

My only concern is Yorkville was always a great performance to value leader. A box that is in the $1700 range I would be looking to VRX or JFL tops in that price range. Even though the yorkville is powered I still have a hard time dropping $1700 per box with out some kind of name recognition through out the rental market. To me once a product breaks a certain price barrier I start looking to put that money into something else. Not to say anyone else would have the same hesitations I do.

Nate, I totally understand your hesitations.  Before deciding on the Paralines, the JBL Vrxs, QSC K Lins, and  DB Technologies DVA T4s were all considered.  I decided on the Yorkvilles based on a few factors.  I liked the amplifier configuration they used in which a class D amp powers the low mids and a Class H drives the Highs.  I like the drivers they use (18 Sound and BMS). The dispersion is a true 110 by 15 from each end of the box to the other (the way a true line array is supposed to be).  Lastly,  other than the DVA T4s, I can see where the cost to manufacture would raise the street price.  The Yorkvilles are made in Canada whereas some of the boxes like QSC are made in China.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »

I would appreciate your opinion on these speakers, especially from the people who used them and also used some of the other Yorkville powered speakers. We play mostly classic rock style of music. Small places. Not trying to be overly loud but still have decent punch to get people moving.

Frank

Hi Frank,
I have used the PSA1 system (4 tops and 4 subs) and directly compared them against QSC KLA and DVA T4, as well as against some powered trap boxes such as the Mackie HD1531.

To be honest, I was quite disappointed.

The good:
Excellent consistent coverage within the pattern
Simple controls
Relatively light weight
Looks good on paper (paraline etc etc)

The not so good:
Sonically not on par with other products in that pricerange.  KLA,  T4, and even HD1531(though HD1531 is not apples to apples) sound considerably better IMHO.  In particular, the midrange near the box crossover point just does not sound right, and no amount of EQ can correct this.  I expected to fire up some tracks and smile, but instead frowned - I never did get the rig where I wanted it.  With a bit of low-midbass boost and a few other EQ tweaks it was improved, but never satisfying for a product at that price point.

I wish I had fired up Smaart, but alas did not have time to do so.

Additionally, the rigging and pole mounting implementation worries me a bit.  It did not feel very secure, and with 2 tops mounted on a tripod it felt tippy, so much so that I switched to some larger Manfrotto crank stands.

The subs were also fairly uninspiring, despite the listed specs they do not seem to go very low, and are a bit muddy in their top end range, though for their quite compact size they are ok performers.

Apparently Yorkville does not use the same BMS HF driver as used in their VTC Paraline boxes, and this was evident, as having used that driver in other designs I expected more from the cab.....

I should back up a bit and say this - they are not terrible products.  You could put on a respectable sounding show with these. 

However, in my own opinion, this is a competitive marketplace and I believe there are quite a few other products on the market that are worth considering before dropping nearly 15K into a 2 over 2 per side rig of these. 

I should also note that I tried this system in 2 different listening environments and circumstances, so my opinions are not simply the result of a one-off bad room experience.

FWIW you should also note that I have no bias against Yorkville and have plenty of experience with their other products.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:17:15 PM by Jeff Babcock »

Frank Povazanj

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »

Thanks Jeff for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Frank

Rob Gow

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »

How do the tops compare to a U15? Would it be possible to run one or 2 tops per side, over a pair of LS800p's?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.