ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha SB168 users?  (Read 2032 times)

Riley Casey

Yamaha SB168 users?
« on: November 02, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »

I'm looking at reworking the design of an event that we have handled for years to fit some new venue constraints.  One change would be doing away with copper snakes and going to Cat 5 that can remain in place from year to year.  I've chewed thru the Yamaha user manual and such Ethersound documentation as I could turn up but I'm still unclear on some possible configuration details.  The event changes room orientation three times in three days with a built stage in the center of a ballroom and another stage on the wall on the first day, the permanent stage only on the second day and the permanent stage supplemented by a bandstand stage about 60 ft away on the third day. I need to know if each Ethersound 16 in by 8 out card in say an M7CL can talk to an SB169 stage box independently - that is without the daisy chain configuration since I will need to receive inputs and send returns to two different stages on the first day.

Another question is the shielded Cat 5 that Yamaha recommends.  This new configuration will also require picking up power from different panels with the likely problem of ground differentials.  Is ground carried thru the shield on this type of Cat 5?  If so can the ground be opened at the receive end ( and what the hell constitutes the receive end of an ethernet cable anyway)?

Thanks for any suggestions

Chris Trupe

Re: Yamaha SB168 users?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »

Ed, I would think it would be possible using three MY16-ES64 cards, and three of the SB168's instead of daisy chaining into the EX cards, and daisy chaining the SB168's. 

Although, as you said the only diagrams that Yamaha shows are the daisy chaining, and ring method. 

I would think a call to Yamaha Tech support would answer this question.  I am assume you have the numbers, during the day, 888-211-9366, been dealing with Nick and Justin about a Studio Manager issue, I am sure they can answer this question.

As far as receive end, I think, its opposite of which way the audio is going, its the way the control signal is going.  So Cat5 would be plugged into the 'in' on the SB168 since it is a control signal, I would assume this is the receive end that you refer to.  Interesting question if the ground was opened if it would cause a problem.  I have done this with a DSP5D, and unplugged the Cat5 from the DSP5D, and the PM5D was powered up, and there were no ground issues anywhere on my inputs or outputs.  But obviously this is something to set up in the shop first and test, instead of find out at the gig!

Hope this helps some, let us know what you find out!

Chris Trupe

I'm looking at reworking the design of an event that we have handled for years to fit some new venue constraints.  One change would be doing away with copper snakes and going to Cat 5 that can remain in place from year to year.  I've chewed thru the Yamaha user manual and such Ethersound documentation as I could turn up but I'm still unclear on some possible configuration details.  The event changes room orientation three times in three days with a built stage in the center of a ballroom and another stage on the wall on the first day, the permanent stage only on the second day and the permanent stage supplemented by a bandstand stage about 60 ft away on the third day. I need to know if each Ethersound 16 in by 8 out card in say an M7CL can talk to an SB169 stage box independently - that is without the daisy chain configuration since I will need to receive inputs and send returns to two different stages on the first day.

Another question is the shielded Cat 5 that Yamaha recommends.  This new configuration will also require picking up power from different panels with the likely problem of ground differentials.  Is ground carried thru the shield on this type of Cat 5?  If so can the ground be opened at the receive end ( and what the hell constitutes the receive end of an ethernet cable anyway)?

Oliver Driver

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:50:30 am »

HI there,

Yes you can run three separate ethersound systems, one from each card slot, so as you say a MY16ES64 in each slot with an SB168 on the end of it BUT the issue you will have is the gain control, as there is only one RS422/Remote port on the M7 and you would need to supply RS422 to each card slot to control the head amps, so you'll only get gain on one card at a time......the only other way to do it would be to use one of these to build a star network http://www.auvitran.com/www/index.php?page=AVM500-ES but I've never tried one to know any more details.

Cabling - We use Belden 1305A and have never had any issues, even running next to three phase power / socapex lighting multi's etc. We've been told by Yamaha service that it's the best to use but it doesn't officially meet CAT5 spec ( due to the cable being stranded type ) so can't be recommended officially!

Regards

Oliver.

Chris Trupe

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:29:55 pm »

This might be your ticket, seems to be avioms solution.

http://www.ethersound.com/products/getinfo.php?eprod_key=1301

Although, Yamaha said, just a standard switch could would too with the ES64 cards and 2 EX cards.

Let me know if it works!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:29:55 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.