ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: StudioLive 24.4.2 Pros & Cons  (Read 18703 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: StudioLive 24.4.2 Pros & Cons
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 05:45:56 pm »

As to what our needs are and anticipated:  I feel like I am in a "anything is better than what we have" situation.  Also other than reading online I don't know what is out there to say we need this and that.  I am just trying to make sure we get the best system for our tight budget.

Jacob....

This doesn't say anything about your specific needs. 

Just exactly what do you need a mixer to be able to do?   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:49:19 pm by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 06:23:52 pm »

Jacob....

This doesn't say anything about your specific needs. 

Just exactly what do you need a mixer to be able to do?

I am not trying to be difficult, but I am not sure what I need the mixer to do.  Scene changes are not a major asset to me, our worship style is the same and rarely changes except for special services at Christmas and Easter.  We have a VERY DYNAMIC pastor so compression is necessary for him, also after doing much reading it seems that when used correctly compression can add a lot to a mix.  Also our music/praise team is high energy, if that makes a difference in a mixer.  Also a better EQ section on the mixer would be a major help, currently we have 3 bands and only the mids are sweepable.  I need at least six auxes, and as far as busses go, I am not sure how they work so I am not sure what I need in that category. 

Does this help any, are these the types of specifics you are looking for?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 06:44:23 pm »

I am not trying to be difficult, but I am not sure what I need the mixer to do.  Scene changes are not a major asset to me, our worship style is the same and rarely changes except for special services at Christmas and Easter.  We have a VERY DYNAMIC pastor so compression is necessary for him, also after doing much reading it seems that when used correctly compression can add a lot to a mix.  Also our music/praise team is high energy, if that makes a difference in a mixer.  Also a better EQ section on the mixer would be a major help, currently we have 3 bands and only the mids are sweepable.  I need at least six auxes, and as far as busses go, I am not sure how they work so I am not sure what I need in that category. 

Does this help any, are these the types of specifics you are looking for?

Yes, that helps.  I'll try to answer point by point.

1.  Purchasing a mixer without knowing what you need it to do does not seem like a good idea.  A little study is in order, which is what I assume you're doing right now.

2.  Scenes on the Slive are not really handy for quick changes within a show.  They are, however, just fine for saving settings for a particular band or special service where you have enough time to do the requisite manual restorations.

3.  A "dynamic" pastor is best addressed by limiting, not compression.  Compression can cause some problems in a live setting.  A compressor can, however, be set up to act as a limiter by setting the threshold and ration high and the attack and release fairly quick.  But the SLive boards give you a limiter on each channel along with the other features.

4.  If your music is "high energy" it probably is a good thing to have complete processing available on every channel to be used as needed.

5.  The 24 channel SLive has a very nice EQ section now, fully parametric on each of the 4 bands.  It would be a HUGE step up over the one sweepable mid you have now.

6.  The more auxes you have, the better.  Each aux is a "bus", busses being common routing for the channels you select.

Does this help any?

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 09:02:20 pm »

Does this help any?

Yes it does, I have almost decided on the SLive24.4.2.

I have a question regarding the recording aspect.  If I multitrack record, I saw in the Webinar videos that you can play the mix back through the mixer to re-mix it or do a virtual sound check.  When I do this what signal is being played back and if I make changes how does it affect the original signal?

Simply put, If I want to change the EQ or add a little bit of EFX does this add to what was done in the original recording or does it replace what was there before. i.e. will I be EQ-ing the already EQ'd signal or does it play back a dry signal and then I can alter the dry signal?

Hope this wasn't too confusing, it seems my posts seem to be getting more and more confusing!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 09:06:48 pm »

I have a question regarding the recording aspect.  If I multitrack record, I saw in the Webinar videos that you can play the mix back through the mixer to re-mix it or do a virtual sound check.  When I do this what signal is being played back and if I make changes how does it affect the original signal?

Simply put, If I want to change the EQ or add a little bit of EFX does this add to what was done in the original recording or does it replace what was there before. i.e. will I be EQ-ing the already EQ'd signal or does it play back a dry signal and then I can alter the dry signal?

Hope this wasn't too confusing, it seems my posts seem to be getting more and more confusing!

The beauty of the digital realm is that you can use "non-destructive" editing.  The undo function will let you back out of any changes you make.  You can also create "snapshots" with different changes, then recall them to compare this to that, etc.

But I'm not into the recording side as such.  Others can tell you about that. I'd ask any recording questions on the SLive user forums.

Brian Lemmon

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 08:54:11 pm »

Each channel can be setup to record pre dynamics or post dynamics with just a push of a button on the mixer. For virtual sound check and our multi track recording we use pre dynamics recording. That way, when the recording is played back through the mixer, you can mix as if it were a live band playing up there.

As for reliability...We had a problem with our 24.4.2 a few months ago that required a trip back to presonus. They had it back to us a couple of weeks later and it's been fine ever since.

We multitrack record our services to an iMac that is also running ProPresenter for the video display. This is not ideal, but right now we are stuck until we get some money in the budget for another computer dedicated for the mixer.  It works ok. The transitions between slides are a little slow when recording, but other than that it's not too bad.

Overall, for our needs, I'm very happy with the 24.4.2; especially for the cost. We were looking at the iLive but that was over our budget. Hope this helps.

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 08:09:27 am »

The major strength of digital editing is non linear editing, which means using software to apply changes to tracks in other than real time. Using a mixer to do digital editing and mixing would be an example of the opposite, which might be called linear editing. 

One big advantage of nonlinear editing is speed - you don't have to wait 15 minutes to hear the effect of applying changes to 15 minutes worth of music. The big disadvantage of linear editing is not only the time factor, but also the fact that you must actually move controls in real time, whereas in nonlinear editing you can expand or contract the time scale to apply changes with either fine resolution or globally, depending on what works in the particular situation.

With software you can edit down at the sample level, if that is what you need to do. There is nothing that compares with that if you are doing real time editing.

Editing that might take me several hours with a mixing console can take only a fraction of an hour using software.

If you want to fully exploit the benefits of nonlinear editing you record all of your channels clean (e.g. from channel direct outs) and without any EFX or other changes applied, and then apply the changes you need by using nonlinear editing software.  It may seem like double work to apply the changes separately, but the time benefits of nonlinear editing more than make up the difference.  Often the software provides many, many EFX that you simply don't have the hardware to do.

Often, the changes required to make a good recording are vastly different from what you would do for live sound. That's so true that it is almost a general fact. By starting out with clean tracks you don't end up applying effects on top of effects, or using effects to counter the consequnces of other effects.

One other downside is that of course you have to learn how to work with the editing or DAW software, which is usually a different situation than learning how to use a mixing console. You end up climbing two different learning curves. If you put forth the effort you will be a better technican for your efforts. What you learn about mixing in software can help you do a better job of mixing with a console.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »

I'm not recommending Behringer, mind you, but if you're considering the Studio Live you might look at Barry's new 32-channel digital board. Saw it under glass at NAMM last January. Don't know if it's made it out the door yet, though. It was pretty; looked better built than the StudioLive. Had motorized faders and (surprise for Behringer) a decent-looking user interface.  No doubt it will have Behringer's renown reliability (/sarcasm).

I assume you've looked at SAC. I generally don't recommend SAC in a situation where volunteers run the gear (too much training involved), but if you're the only engineer in charge you might consider it.  www.softwareaudioconsole.com.
cheers,
Randy Hyde

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 03:20:50 pm »

I'm not recommending Behringer, mind you, but if you're considering the Studio Live you might look at Barry's new 32-channel digital board. Saw it under glass at NAMM last January. Don't know if it's made it out the door yet, though. It was pretty; looked better built than the StudioLive. Had motorized faders and (surprise for Behringer) a decent-looking user interface.  No doubt it will have Behringer's renown reliability (/sarcasm).
The Behringer X32 started being promoted and discussed about a year ago, started being shown in January and apparently was initially to have been released 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2011, however the last I heard it was still "coming soon".  I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that it may be released next spring and that it may initially be released without all of the capabilities with those being added via firmware updates in the future.  Regardless of whether the delay is the result of technical, production or patent/copyright issues, I have not seen an updated release date or found anyone that has apparently seen, heard or had a chance to use an actual working console.

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 04:38:24 pm »

Although I have taken a quick look at the Behringer, I don't think I want to make that purchase when it has not been out and proven yet.  I hope that it ends up being a great product, but they have a reputation to overcome first.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 04:38:24 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.