ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello Again  (Read 5177 times)

Langston Holland

Hello Again
« on: October 31, 2011, 01:04:52 AM »

Hello boys and girls:

It's quite an honor to help moderate this forum. I think. I do have a vague feeling that I may have volunteered for something in a manner similar to the 3 stooges when they, firmly remaining stationary, were asked to step forward to volunteer for service in a war effort when everyone else in the line stepped back.

Doug called me about this last Wednesday while I was on the road to a gig about 9 hours away. I was 1 hour into the trip at the moment of his call and during our conversation (I was in the passenger seat of the truck), I looked through the side view mirror at the trailer and noticed it was nearly sideways at 75 mph with sparks flying everywhere. In case you have lost sleep over this, a borrowed single axle trailer with one side riding on what's left of a steel rim will go sideways with the tire-less rim leading. Never heard or felt the tire exit - the Dodge RAM 3500 diesel maintained its cruise control setting with no apparent effort. Had to hang up. Spent 4 hours on the side of the road waiting for some friends to rescue me with new leaf springs. I had a spare tire/wheel like any good boy scout.

Concerning the topic at hand, next to Syn-Aud-Con and reading, nothing has helped me gain an intuitive grasp on how things work in this realm as much as measurement software and experimentation with same. People are next on the list and that's apparently where I come in. I pity both of you.

If you're serious about this, buy a couple of cheap (expendable) single driver computer speakers, get a loudspeaker processor, then begin at the beginning.

If you're really serious, keep reading.

I also have enjoyed reading the manuals to every successful piece of measurement software on the market, though I only own a few of them, all work off the same physics and all are very helpful. Older versions of the manuals are just as good - often better due to the additional detail. If you only read one manual in addition to the one for the software you own, make it ARTA and everything else that brilliant Croatian has written.

Tomorrow, by the grace of God, I'm hoping to have time to make raw measurements of a pair of Danley SH100's and a TH112 that I'm about to install in a small church. I'll be taking pictures and walking you through the process of mating the tops to the sub as well as EQ and limiting decisions. I have some rather unorthodox procedures that I'm either very proud of or very embarrassed about, depending. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:07:46 AM by Langston Holland »
God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
Re: Hello Again
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:02 AM »

I hope you're going to post some screenshots of the measurement . Do you use SMAART or ARTA ?

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:44:44 AM »

Tomorrow, by the grace of God, I'm hoping to have time to make raw measurements of a pair of Danley SH100's and a TH112 that I'm about to install in a small church. I'll be taking pictures and walking you through the process of mating the tops to the sub as well as EQ and limiting decisions. I have some rather unorthodox procedures that I'm either very proud of or very embarrassed about, depending. :)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us Langston. I'm really looking forward to learning more about this!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:48:50 AM »

Sorry to hear about your breakdown.  I know the feeling having had all sorts of vehicle and trailer troubles during my years-but that is a different thread.

I totally agree about getting started with something small.

When I got started into real measurement (RTA's excluded), I was using Smaart V3. something-I got it from JBL andit came on 3 floppy disks.

I took it home and played around all weekend with my home stereo speakers-singles/pairs/mono/stereo etc moving the mic around looking at reflections and so forth.

For anybody getting started-start SMALL-full range, then work your way up.

And always question the measurements.  If it doesn't make sense-then there is probably something wrong-either in your setup. Such as -program parameters-mic position-external processing you didn't realize etc.

DON'T just take what shows up oin the screen as "the truth".  Believe me-the computer LIES very often.  You HAVE to learn to "read in between the lines" to discover the real details of what is going on-or NOT going on.

And if you are like most of us here, the more you learn, the more you realize how little you actually know (at least speaking for myself).

And one of the hardest things to get your head around is that the measurement program will not tell you how to set your crossovers etc, it will only show you the result of what you have done.  It is up to YOU to figure out how to correct the problems. 

Of course there are all sorts of little clues the programs will give you (phase being a BIG one) that can help-once you start to understand it.

And going down the measurement path is like the Eagles song-Hotel California.  You can ckeck in-but you can never check out.  Once you start getting hooked on measurements, it is impossible to go back to not thinking about them and what is going on.  Not only on a system basis-but also a individual device basis.

Have fun and happy measuring.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »

Sorry to hear about your breakdown.  I know the feeling having had all sorts of vehicle and trailer troubles during my years-but that is a different thread.

I totally agree about getting started with something small.

When I got started into real measurement (RTA's excluded), I was using Smaart V3. something-I got it from JBL andit came on 3 floppy disks.

I took it home and played around all weekend with my home stereo speakers-singles/pairs/mono/stereo etc moving the mic around looking at reflections and so forth.

For anybody getting started-start SMALL-full range, then work your way up.

And always question the measurements.  If it doesn't make sense-then there is probably something wrong-either in your setup. Such as -program parameters-mic position-external processing you didn't realize etc.

DON'T just take what shows up oin the screen as "the truth".  Believe me-the computer LIES very often.  You HAVE to learn to "read in between the lines" to discover the real details of what is going on-or NOT going on.

And if you are like most of us here, the more you learn, the more you realize how little you actually know (at least speaking for myself).

And one of the hardest things to get your head around is that the measurement program will not tell you how to set your crossovers etc, it will only show you the result of what you have done.  It is up to YOU to figure out how to correct the problems. 

Of course there are all sorts of little clues the programs will give you (phase being a BIG one) that can help-once you start to understand it.

And going down the measurement path is like the Eagles song-Hotel California.  You can ckeck in-but you can never check out.  Once you start getting hooked on measurements, it is impossible to go back to not thinking about them and what is going on.  Not only on a system basis-but also a individual device basis.

Have fun and happy measuring.

When I "started" with measurement, which I really think is still right now, I tried really hard to calibrate what I was hearing to what I was seeing on the screen. Being able to go in and take measurements of a really good system is a great opportunity to learn to see what you like to hear.

Lately, I have become hooked on keeping the spectragraph running during shows hooked up to the cue bus. It can really help deconstruct a mix so you can see where each channel fits into the total picture.
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.