ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multichannel parade audio system  (Read 15476 times)

Aaron Watson

Multichannel parade audio system
« on: October 29, 2011, 04:54:43 AM »

How would I deliver a multichannel parade audio (like they do for the Disney parades) where a street loop track is going to street speakers and separate music tracks are going to each float simultaneously. What do I need to be able to do this???

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Multichannel parade audio system
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 04:59:10 AM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »

How would I deliver a multichannel parade audio (like they do for the Disney parades) where a street loop track is going to street speakers and separate music tracks are going to each float simultaneously. What do I need to be able to do this???

I did an 8 channel one of these recently and simply used 8 MP3 players with simultaneous start pulse and staggered tracks. I was initially worried about them sliding out of sync, but over an entire 6.2 hour loop time the maximum discrepancy was 0.75 seconds (at which point a global reset pulled them all in to line again).
BTW I do worry that the Mods are more interested in asserting the rules publicly than answering the question. Surely these issues could be dealt with in private email.
M

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:17:49 AM »

BTW I do worry that the Mods are more interested in asserting the rules publicly than answering the question. Surely these issues could be dealt with in private email.
The full name rule is clearly stated at the top of each page and violations approached the same for everyone.  Since the alternative would be to lock the thread with no indication of why it was locked, it seems to make sense for the Mods to post something.

Aaron, what are you actually asking?  Are you asking about the content creation, the content playback, the content delivery, the reinforcement systems or all of these?

What is your role?  Are you an organizer of the event, a participant, a content creator, someone being paid to design or install the system?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 01:15:14 PM »

M

I think it might be that it is more noticeable when posted in the thread.  If someone misses the clearly printed instructions at the top of the page, how likely are they to notice the small message notification?  I know a lot of regular users who take a long time to respond to PM's because they just don't notice the little number which appears signalling "message received".  I wouldn't bet on a newb noticing it.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »

The correct way to mount "an Electric Parade" sound system is with wireless links to each float. 

The magic of the parade is that the background park system plays music which is the base line and bed for all of the float specific theme music, not just another bit if music. 

All channels are from a multi channel playback system and therefore are always in exact sync.

Pictures from an installation at Discovery world in Korea.

1.  Control room.  Rack, mixer and show control computer monitor.

2.  Lectrosonic transmitters, AC powered and passively combined and then re-amplified to about 1 Watt ERP, not the best way to do it but inexpensive and not legal in the US.

3.  Typical float sound system showing batteries for AC inverter and CD for testing which is replaced by a receiver.

4.  Rack with audio monitor switcher, multi track playback, transmitters and RF combiner and eq for Park audio feed.

5.  Antenna on roof of parade building fed via 1" heliax low loss coax about 180' from control room.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

David Buckley

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:09:13 AM »

The way that Disney used to do it (and I dont know if this is still how they do it today) is they sent SMPTE timecode over the air using walkie talkie quality gear, and each float had a timecode receiver, along with a timecode locked playback system.  So each float (and this is Disney: we're talking dozens of floats) had its own little musical and effects thing going and the park speakers had the main theme, also locked to timecode, so you get this constantly changing musical montage.

Because we're talking timecode to the float, the timecode also drove the float lighting, so the music and lighting stayed in sync.  Thus the maical moment moment when all the floats go from coloured twinkly lights to white twinkly lights simultaneously.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:18:32 AM »

It probably was not smpte time code since this is digital and not transmittable over radios.  FSK time code is an audio based TC which can be sent over radio.  If you have a large number of floats this method only uses one radio channel instead of a different one for each float.  It is much more expensive, however, due to the added synchronization equipment and separate music playback devices on each float.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Moderation
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »

I think it might be that it is more noticeable when posted in the thread.  If someone misses the clearly printed instructions at the top of the page, how likely are they to notice the small message notification?  I know a lot of regular users who take a long time to respond to PM's because they just don't notice the little number which appears signalling "message received".  I wouldn't bet on a newb noticing it.

We do send private email, as well as PMs, but without the public posting we in turn get lots of emails from members reporting a problem that has already been dealt with. People should continue to report issues, but the mods will use public postings to make it clear that action has been taken.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »

Pictures from an installation at Discovery world in Korea.

1.  Control room.  Rack, mixer and show control computer monitor.

2.  Lectrosonic transmitters, AC powered and passively combined and then re-amplified to about 1 Watt ERP, not the best way to do it but inexpensive and not legal in the US.

3.  Typical float sound system showing batteries for AC inverter and CD for testing which is replaced by a receiver.

4.  Rack with audio monitor switcher, multi track playback, transmitters and RF combiner and eq for Park audio feed.

5.  Antenna on roof of parade building fed via 1" heliax low loss coax about 180' from control room.

So that's what the install looked like; I never saw photos after the transmission system left the shop.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.