ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridging my amp to run a ls808  (Read 4793 times)

Steve E

Bridging my amp to run a ls808
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:58:28 PM »

Ok so i'm new to hooking up pa systems and I have some questions about bridging an amp to run my sub.  I have 2 yorkville ap800 amps.  One is hooked up in stereo for the mid/highs and the other one I want to bridge to power my ls808.  It came with a custom cord with the connector to hook into the 2 reds in the power amp, and the other end is 1/4" which plugs into the sub.  I switched the amp into bridged mode and hooked it up like this and used only 1 input into the amp since it would be mono this way and when I gave the amp a bit of volume the sub just started farting so I shut the amp down.  I tried it in stereo and mono mode just to make sure the equipment was functioning fine and it was, but it seemed to be lacking something which is why I want to bridge the amp.  Does anybody know why it doesn't work properly when I try to bridge it? 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Bridging my amp to run a ls808
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:14:59 PM »

Ok so i'm new to hooking up pa systems and I have some questions about bridging an amp to run my sub.  I have 2 yorkville ap800 amps.  One is hooked up in stereo for the mid/highs and the other one I want to bridge to power my ls808.  It came with a custom cord with the connector to hook into the 2 reds in the power amp, and the other end is 1/4" which plugs into the sub.  I switched the amp into bridged mode and hooked it up like this and used only 1 input into the amp since it would be mono this way and when I gave the amp a bit of volume the sub just started farting so I shut the amp down.  I tried it in stereo and mono mode just to make sure the equipment was functioning fine and it was, but it seemed to be lacking something which is why I want to bridge the amp.  Does anybody know why it doesn't work properly when I try to bridge it?
I don't know about those particular amps (it is best to read the manual and see what it says), but different amps have to have different settings to use properly in bridge mode.

Of course the switch has to be in the correct position and the loudspeaker wired up properly (it sounds as if you ahve done both of those).

But how the volume/level controls are set varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  On some the Ch2/B contgrol doesn't do anyting or matter.

On others it has to be turned all the way down.  On others it has to be turned up to the same level as the Ch1/A control.

Odd sounds can happen if this is not done properly.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve E

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:00:51 PM »

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=126
http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/manuals/omap800.pdf
Those are the links for the amp and sub.  I did have the amp set in bridge mode and the second dial is supposed to do nothing when set like that.  I did notice however when I put the amp in bridge mode and hook it up between the red posts that the clip light comes on on the second channel, even though it is supposed to do nothing.  I hooked up the leads to the regular channel a and b leads while in bridged mode and the sub seemed to function fine as with stereo and mono modes but when I hooked it up between the reds in bridged mode it gives me these problems.  I've read that you can use a 4 wire speakon to use the amp in bridged more and both the amp and sub support this method from what i've read but I do not have one of these cables at the moment and would like to make it work with the cable I have which is 1/4" on 1 end and bannana on the other.  I don't really know what else to try besides trying to get the speakon cable but I don't see why the cable I have shouldn't work or why it would cause these problems.  Also when I have the bannana plugged in bridged but the 1/4" not plugged into the sub the clip light still lights up on the second channel.  Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »

Also when I have the bannana plugged in bridged but the 1/4" not plugged into the sub the clip light still lights up on the second channel.

Do you still get the clip light when the cable is completely disconnected from the amp? If not then the cable is suspect and I'd suggest you dismantle the 1/4 end and look for a short. If the cable checks out fine, since you have two of these amps maybe try bridging the other one to see if it behaves the same, if it doesn't the first amp needs service. Besides that 1/4 connectors are not designed for high power level so you would be well advised to get or make a speakon cable asap.

Steve E

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 02:07:21 AM »

Ok so I checked out the 1/4" end of my cable, it was loose and shorting out.  I fixed it up, but when plugged it back into the sub the clip light came on again and same problem, so I gave up on the 1/4" alltogether.  After reading the manual for my amp again it turns out I just need a 2 wire speakon cable to run the amp bridged but all I have to do is rewire it at the connector going into the amp.  So I did this and then I get the same problem as I did trying to bridge with the banana clips.  I was starting to think it was the amp so I tried the speakon with my other amp bridged and it worked fine.  I tried the amp in question not bridged (in stereo) with my mid highs and I got some farting.  This proves the amp is malfunctioning. I guess I shouldn't have been lazy in the first place and tried the other amp to begin with.  Well at least now I know to wire speakon cables properly and the amp should be out of the shop within a couple days.  Thanks for the replies everyone.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 02:07:21 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.