ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: pm5d channel links  (Read 9749 times)

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Re: pm5d channel links
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 09:26:02 AM »

My point about the pairing is most often run into on toms/perc/hrns, where one sets separate input gain and eqs. But it can be expedient to have the mix sends grouped when someone is asking for more of a source with several channels that you get them with one fader throw.
END QUOTE

One option, in a monitors context, is to use the 24 mixes a internal buses, and mix those buses down to matrixes to drive monitors. This is a very handy trick with an act that moves around a lot, as it makes moving your lead singer's mix from the down center wedges to wherever you want most expediently.

Edited to reflect the fact that I suck at quotes
-Hayden J. Nebus
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:29:10 AM by Hayden J. Nebus »

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 11:59:36 PM »

On the lowly ls9 you can group dozens of channels together like this. Not just pairs. Plus you get the flexibility to separate HA,eq, sends,faders on desired channels.

Unless I've missed something on the LS9, the linking parameters that you set up apply to ALL channels that are linked - IOW you can't link faders only on the toms, link everthing on Key L/R, and link EQs only on another pair.

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »

My point about the pairing is most often run into on toms/perc/hrns, where one sets separate input gain and eqs. But it can be expedient to have the mix sends grouped when someone is asking for more of a source with several channels that you get them with one fader throw.

On the lowly ls9 you can group dozens of channels together like this. Not just pairs. Plus you get the flexibility to separate HA,eq, sends,faders on desired channels.

My mention of 5.1 is to illustrate how fast those pairs lose their usefulness... an awards show with a few fancy playback decks, plus live broadcast and you'd be paging around the 5d like crazy. I don't mean to belabor this topic, I just find the flexibility of channel link vastly better than pairing.

@ Tim - I agree and I run mono everywhere it makes sense to.

They are called DCA's.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 05:11:31 PM »

For stereo pairs the pairing as previously described works fine.

Mac

Sometimes keyboards sound really bad when summed to mono so I want stereo monitoring, but the wedges will be used for many things in one session, so running stereo auxes isn't practical.  In these situations, using a "group" with only two member channels works really well:  Dynamics, EQ and faders track eachother, but the auxes can be turned up independently for each channel.  This won't work with stereo pairs.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 06:29:26 PM »

Sometimes keyboards sound really bad when summed to mono so I want stereo monitoring, but the wedges will be used for many things in one session, so running stereo auxes isn't practical.  In these situations, using a "group" with only two member channels works really well:  Dynamics, EQ and faders track eachother, but the auxes can be turned up independently for each channel.  This won't work with stereo pairs.

In reading the manual to see how panning a stereo pair to mono mixes works I was reminded that the PM5D does have groups for eq and dynamics. There are 8 groups for eq, and 8 for dynamics for the input channels, and 8 more for the output channels.

It is not made clear in the manual, but I think if you hard pan a stereo signal to a mono aux, only the channel you have panned to goes to the aux. This would seem to be almost the same as your independent sends since it is isolated and independent level. It is worth testing anyway.

Mac

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »

In reading the manual to see how panning a stereo pair to mono mixes works I was reminded that the PM5D does have groups for eq and dynamics. There are 8 groups for eq, and 8 for dynamics for the input channels, and 8 more for the output channels.

It is not made clear in the manual, but I think if you hard pan a stereo signal to a mono aux, only the channel you have panned to goes to the aux. This would seem to be almost the same as your independent sends since it is isolated and independent level. It is worth testing anyway.

Mac

I'm going to investigate a little further the next time I can, but the way I remember it:

When you pair up two aux masters and you then open the fader view screen on any input channel, one aux send "pot" has turned into a pan "pot".  If you want to pan out a stereo keyboard you just pan one channel of it to one side of the stereo pair and the other to the other side of the same pair.
A mono input can be left in center for sending to both sides of the aux pair, or hard panned to reach either aux.

The main hassle is that you must arrow your way to the "pot" and then use the encoder wheel to pan, the normal pan control won't work. 

Also, you no longer have individual control over EQ and compression on the output of those two auxes, which can be an issue if the wedges are used for many things in one evening of entertainment, for instance.

If the auxes are left as individual mono auxes, the pan "pots" are no longer there in the fader view window, so I don't see any opportunity to actually pan the sends from a stereo pair.

I have had good results with the method of making a "two-member group", but always eager to learn new ways of routing these consoles.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »

I'm going to investigate a little further the next time I can, but the way I remember it:

When you pair up two aux masters and you then open the fader view screen on any input channel, one aux send "pot" has turned into a pan "pot".  If you want to pan out a stereo keyboard you just pan one channel of it to one side of the stereo pair and the other to the other side of the same pair.
A mono input can be left in center for sending to both sides of the aux pair, or hard panned to reach either aux.

The main hassle is that you must arrow your way to the "pot" and then use the encoder wheel to pan, the normal pan control won't work. 

Also, you no longer have individual control over EQ and compression on the output of those two auxes, which can be an issue if the wedges are used for many things in one evening of entertainment, for instance.

If the auxes are left as individual mono auxes, the pan "pots" are no longer there in the fader view window, so I don't see any opportunity to actually pan the sends from a stereo pair.

I have had good results with the method of making a "two-member group", but always eager to learn new ways of routing these consoles.

At least in Studio Manager what you want to do doesn't work. I think you are going to have to push up both faders of the keys when you want to change the level. You can make the eq and dynamics track with one of the 8 groups available for each.

As far as the stereo mixes being used as mono mixes in another part of the show, why not set them up the way you need them in scenes?

An a PM1D you do have individual pan controls for each mix from stereo input channels, but they are only available onscreen, not on the channel encoders.

Are you talking about your 1D, or a 5D?

Mac

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »

Unless I've missed something on the LS9, the linking parameters that you set up apply to ALL channels that are linked - IOW you can't link faders only on the toms, link everthing on Key L/R, and link EQs only on another pair.

You're right Tim, I had the recall safe options mixed up with the global channel link options.
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 06:49:44 AM »

At least in Studio Manager what you want to do doesn't work. I think you are going to have to push up both faders of the keys when you want to change the level. You can make the eq and dynamics track with one of the 8 groups available for each.

As far as the stereo mixes being used as mono mixes in another part of the show, why not set them up the way you need them in scenes?

An a PM1D you do have individual pan controls for each mix from stereo input channels, but they are only available onscreen, not on the channel encoders.

Are you talking about your 1D, or a 5D?

Mac

I was talking Yamaha in general, also including my 01v96 and my DM2000.  I will investigate the "soft pans" on my 1D further next time I can.  As far as PM5D, I'm generally hoping to get more time on one of those.

Thanks for your suggestion on changing output pair assignments between bands.  For some reason I'm still stuck in the "it feels more comfortable to leave stuff like that the same all through one show" mode, but working on it!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 06:49:44 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.