Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Phase trace

(1/3) > >>

Johnny Diaz:
I took another measurement of the top and sub. Does it look like they are in phase? Also, I'm using 1/12 Oct for Phase Smooth and Mag Smooth and 8 for averaging is this ok? The steps that I'm taking to take these measurements is as follows;

1. Click find. Once it finds the delay insert it.
2. Unmute the left top. Take TF. Capture TF and stop.
3. Mute Left top. Leave delay as is. Unmute left sub. Take TF. Capture Tf. Now add delay to one of the speakers and see where the phase shift goes.
4. Perform 1-3 on the right side speakers.

Is this correct so far? Any recommendations?

Johnny

Paul Tucci:
Johnny,
Your technique is valid. Capturing a TF of the full range box and storing it gives you a target for the sub. NOT CHANGING the offset delay is critical. You need to look at both boxes from the same perspective in time. By manipulating the arrival time of the sub via its own processor leaves the measurement perspective unchanged. Here's a suggestion though. The area of interest in your example here is below 200Hz ish. Matching the phase traces of the area of interest is always easier if you zoom in and fill your display with the bandwidth of interest. A bigger display will make this process easier.

I've been wanting to customize my dispay, how did you get that pretty orange band on the top?

Tucci

Johnny Diaz:

--- Quote from: Paul Tucci on October 26, 2011, 10:52:01 PM ---Johnny,
Your technique is valid. Capturing a TF of the full range box and storing it gives you a target for the sub. NOT CHANGING the offset delay is critical. You need to look at both boxes from the same perspective in time. By manipulating the arrival time of the sub via its own processor leaves the measurement perspective unchanged. Here's a suggestion though. The area of interest in your example here is below 200Hz ish. Matching the phase traces of the area of interest is always easier if you zoom in and fill your display with the bandwidth of interest. A bigger display will make this process easier.

I've been wanting to customize my dispay, how did you get that pretty orange band on the top?

Tucci

--- End quote ---

Paul,

Thanks. Would I zoom in with the Phase smooth?  I'm a newbie with Smaart.  I think you know how to get the pretty orange band:) 

Johnny

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Paul Tucci on October 26, 2011, 10:52:01 PM ---I've been wanting to customize my dispay, how did you get that pretty orange band on the top?

Tucci

--- End quote ---

I also like the orange band, but I'm pretty sure it indicates the demo version.

Mac

Paul Tucci:
To zoom in...right click and highlight the area you want to fill the display. Make sure to grab enough frequency bandwidth (left / right) and amplitude ( up / down) to see what you need to see.

Tucci

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version