ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The quest for the nearly indestructible microphone  (Read 9832 times)

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
Re: The quest for the nearly indestructible microphone
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »

The back story: One of the venues I work in needs a paging microphone that has an on / off function.  We have in the past used Shure U2 wireless, Shure SM58s, Shure 522, and an old Bogen that I found in the back of the warehouse.  After the U2UA was outlawed (and had already been repaired more times than I can remember) the SM58s looked like it was used as a hammer for rail road spikes since the days of steam power, the Bogen didn't last 24 hours and the 522 is currently being held together with almost an entire tube of 5 minute epoxy as the wind screen was torn off, the push button had it's screws stripped out then the mounting studs broken and now the reed switch is bent to heck and back.

I know the obvious answer is to educate the users of this microphone that it's not a hammer, pry bar or other bludgeoning device and to treat them nicely.  That not withstanding, does anyone have any suggestions of what they have used in the past that has withstood hell and keeps on working?  I am seriously considering either "Playskool", "My First Sony", or just a bullhorn since they can't seem to take care of some of the most rugged microphones that I know of.

I know the rules of the board prohibit manufacturers from answering such open ended questions as I have presented but I couldn't think of a better way to word it.  I'm not looking for "buy my product" but I am interested in direction to potential solutions to a problem that has vexed me for some time.

Thanks,
Fred

this is the ultimate mic!
http://youtu.be/mfk8vCHUqU8

fred martinez

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »

Just to clarify, the 58 is still passing signal?   ::)

I've got a sennheiser 835S which has lasted many years, beers, and bars. I think the grills on the senns are a little more hard core than the factory 58 grills. I keep thinking there are an ad that boasted they were bullet proof, but maybe that was just a sales person back in the day.

HAHA yes the 58 was still passing signal until they dislodged the xlr connection from the body, I repaired that then they crammed the switch into the body somehow.  I didn't have the heart to send it back to Shure since I know it wasn't just a failure it was straight abuse by the users. 

fred martinez

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 07:48:46 PM »

Would it possible to move the switch to another location such as a panel mount toggle switch? If you can remove the need for the switch you could buy an EV 635a. That's about the toughest damn thing anywhere and not pricey either.

We tired a stomp box, that lasted about 24 hours, I am seriously thinking about taking the old cop car radio that I have and rewiring the mic from it to work and see if they can destroy that too!

fred martinez

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »

this is the ultimate mic!
http://youtu.be/mfk8vCHUqU8

I am going to start taking pictures of these mics as we go through them... I don't doubt the ability to beat the hell out of an SM57/8 as we've done it around here.  We're worse than any road tour on equipment and we don't leave the venue.  My Krewe are great but those that we serve are a bit unappreciative of what we do to keep them in business at times.

fred martinez

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »

Clearcom Handset.

I like it... I may just use this since we have one that isn't being used... Why did I discount this as an option??? This is why I love the replies that everyone has sent it has opened my mind up, I had become very narrow in the scope of this project!

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »

We tired a stomp box, that lasted about 24 hours, I am seriously thinking about taking the old cop car radio that I have and rewiring the mic from it to work and see if they can destroy that too!
Along the same idea as the cop-car radio, our Motorola two-way radio mics go through hell, and still work.  Perhaps you could rewire one of those?  The Shure 514B looks like it may take a lot of abuse.  The only thing I don't like is that the PTT button appears to stick out of the shell (vs the motorola's, which doesn't).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:59:36 PM by Jonathan Kok »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »

I to would look a PTT radio mic or maybe a desk top PTT communications/dispatch style mic. The weak link in the cheap 58 knock off mics I've seen is the switch will fall apart first, but $10 for a disposable mic may be the best way if their paying the bill. What type of facility is this that shreds these mics! Having asked that I've seen mics at some church's look like they were used on a 1980's punk tour.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »

There is only one real 0ption. EV 664. I used to use one to nail my kick drum down to the riser and then sing through it. Worked.

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 10:00:50 AM »

There is only one real 0ption. EV 664. I used to use one to nail my kick drum down to the riser and then sing through it. Worked.

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

LOL,  You beat me to it!  The 4-pin balanced/unbalanced connector might be a headache for the uninitiated though.  ZZ Top uses one, with an SM58 capsule I think.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 10:00:50 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.