ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry I purchased powered speakers- now what?  (Read 19636 times)

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: Sorry I purchased powered speakers- now what?
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 06:03:46 AM »

I had intended to purchase a SRX rig 722/728 from the local music shop. In short, I got talked out of it and came home with 2 QSC KW152's and 2 QSC KW181's. I thought they sounded pretty good in the store and they sounded great in my basement. After last night I am disappointed. The 60 deg boxes didn't give enough coverage so I had to focus them on the dance floor and I just couldn't seem to get that punch and clarity I was hoping for. The other issue  since I center clustered the subs those drink wielding dancers were freaking me out, I was worried a long Island Ice tea would end up shorting out those built in amps.  I not saying these things sound terrible, perhaps I am thinking they are too delicate, maybe I need double the system(classic rock music). I was all over the JTR products after reading about them here but I haven't heard much about them lately,(they may be more DJ oriented) then I thought of resale and SRX, now I am just confused. I've returned to the music scene after a 15 year break, FYI- my last rig was 4 double scoops, 4-perkins bins and  4 2441's on top. I guess that dates me- Now what?

Ya, dont get the JTR stuff, sounds like crap and is def DJ gear and unprofessional, you'll never reach any significant db SPL levels.

I stupidly power 2 T-8s with a PL236 over 4 Growlers with a CC5500 almost every weekend for the last 2 years, they are muddy, unclear, no punch and dont get very loud and arent back killers... not good for anything - no one ever asks me "what kind of speakers are those?"

Stay away! Total GARBAGE!

;D

( JTR is my secret weapon, I hope no one in my area catches on for many years...)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 07:48:26 AM »

You guys from Maine can be so silly. I can hear that rig in Boston on a good night.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chip Dryden

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 08:23:09 AM »

Alright, The store wouldn't take them back since it's been over 30 days (42) since the purchase. I didn't make a big deal over it, my mistake so I'll deal with it.  Since I have a bunch of analog outboard gear I  picked up a used Mixwiz and put the digital idea on hold .I like the Mixwiz small format but desire subgroups +++ and don't like the effects etc.. That APB Bob uses looks very tempting! Since the rooms I'll be doing will be 200-500 cap I'm going to focus on a system which is appropriate. Mike, do tell more about the JTR stuff. Triple 8" speakers/ much in contrast to Bob's 725 suggestion. I'm not going back to that store again, I'll shop on line once I can come to a conclusion, I must say I am getting a little fuzzy the more I read in the forums, but a good fuzzy...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:40:46 PM by Chip Dryden »

Arthur Wnuk

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »

Alright, The store wouldn't take them back since it's been over 30 days (42) since the purchase. I didn't make a big deal over it, my mistake so I'll deal with it. They probably think I'm a borrower... I had purchased a studiolive 24 from the same store (also recomended) 3 months prior and returned it because it lost audio on me 3 times and that scared me away from the product.  Since I have a bunch of analog outboard gear I  picked up a used Mixwiz and put the digital idea to bed.I like the Mixwiz small format but desire subgroups +++ and don't like the effects etc.. That APB Bob uses looks very tempting! Since the rooms I'll be doing will be 200-500 cap I'm going to focus on a system which is appropriate. Mike, do tell more about the JTR stuff. Triple 8" speakers/ much in contrast to Bob's 725 suggestion. I'm not going back to that store again, I'll shop on line once I can come to a conclusion, I must say I am getting a little fuzzy the more I read in the forums, but a good fuzzy...

At the risk of fuzzing up your selection process even further, let me throw in another JTR opinion.

I haven't experienced the Growler/T8 combo, but I've been using an Orbit Shifter/T12 set since this summer. Referring strictly to size, this is pretty close to your original 722/728 plan. I wish I could tell you I've heard a direct  comparison between the JTR and JBL boxes, but I haven't, and frankly, there are more significant factors at play than the differences between two well-designed speaker systems.

I use a zoo of different speakers. Sometimes the selection is very deliberate, other times I take whatever happens to be in the trailer at the moment. Tonal differences do not bother me greatly; I focus on the mix. The thing about the JTR's is that they are easy to mix, if that makes sense. They are not "in-my-face" and forcing me to mix with a lot of subtractive EQ rather than the faders. This is a big plus considering the range of genres I need to satisfy, where subtlety is often more desirable than brute force. Having said that, if my only clients were hard rock or other aggressive styles, I'd likely turn to horn-loaded monsters rather than the wave-guided JTR beauties (referring to tops, of course).

It sounds like you are searching for something specific: that sound you had in your basement translated elsewhere. I can't say if the JTR jack-of-most-trades (as they've become to me) is right for you. If your gigs are like many of mine, there is no time or access to treat the venue like a world tour stop, or even your basement. So, a simple bi-amped system that's easy to mix and sounds pleasant from measure one is the way to go. My JTR rig fits that ticket, and I too like that people don't know what they are. The most recent question I got, from a doo-wop cat this past weekend, was "Are those Apogee speakers?"

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »

Alright, The store wouldn't take them back since it's been over 30 days (42) since the purchase. I didn't make a big deal over it, my mistake so I'll deal with it. They probably think I'm a borrower... I had purchased a studiolive 24 from the same store (also recomended) 3 months prior and returned it because it lost audio on me 3 times and that scared me away from the product.  Since I have a bunch of analog outboard gear I  picked up a used Mixwiz and put the digital idea to bed.I like the Mixwiz small format but desire subgroups +++ and don't like the effects etc.. That APB Bob uses looks very tempting! Since the rooms I'll be doing will be 200-500 cap I'm going to focus on a system which is appropriate. Mike, do tell more about the JTR stuff. Triple 8" speakers/ much in contrast to Bob's 725 suggestion. I'm not going back to that store again, I'll shop on line once I can come to a conclusion, I must say I am getting a little fuzzy the more I read in the forums, but a good fuzzy...

Hi Chip, if you are targeting 500, loud, then T-8s are probably not for you. Although for around 200 peeps, and when needing 90 degree coverage, they excell. When I expect larger than that I bring the 212/75 QRxs, which alot of people like too.

I dont think you can compare the 725s with the T-8s, two different boxes : the T-8s have the same paper area as 1 15", but have a mid driver and a HF comp, where the 725s have 2 15s and a HF horn.

Everyone seems to like the JBL gear, so who can argue with such popularity.

What I have always done when shopping is to create a spreadsheet and list all the criteria that is important: size, weight, sens, max SPL, price, list forum opinons, and compare the options.

Define your biz model, the target budget of your clients, and buy the tools that provide the correct solution, that is key.

Mike

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »

Chip,
The APB was purchased after a very long search and many recommendations. I compared the mixer to a good number of quality desks, both digital and analog from Midas, Yamaha, etc. with a cost of up to 10K. Routing, layout, ease of use and sound quality were my number one considerations.  If you have an investment in outboard gear, or if you feel that analog is for you, then I'm willing to say there are no better desks for live sound than the APB line of mixers. If the sound of the mixer matters, then APB is the way to go. If you feel that digital is where you're headed then my recommended ENTRY level digital board is a Yamaha LS9 16. Others will have different opinions, but for what it's worth that's mine.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 05:18:30 PM »

One last thing . The Presonus boards seem to be doing a pretty good job. I don't hear of any real complaints, failures, or issues with tone. I didn't really compare that board to the APB, but had I been in the market for a low cost, good sounding and reliable (from what I'm hearing) board then I would have to look at the Presonus.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Chip Dryden

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »

I am beginning to narrow down my selection based on the responses (JBL 725, EV QRX212, JTR T12)- Subs- (4) 718 or (4) Growler or (2) TH118 or (2) Orbit Shifters. Amps- who knows... Curious those horn loaded Orbit shifters, growlers, Danley vs front loaded 718/728, how do they compare with regards to the accuracy on bass reproduction? I plan to replace the MixWiz with a APB or Larger A&H, small Midas. Who would you go to for a APB desk?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:18:27 PM by Chip Dryden »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 12:19:02 AM »

Straight to Charlie Tappa at Pro Sound Service in Braintree, MA. He'll give you the best pricing and the best service.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Chip Dryden

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 04:50:36 PM »

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:16:30 PM by Chip Dryden »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 04:50:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.