ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think about Peavey's IPR's?  (Read 24665 times)

Philipp Hausmann

What do you think about Peavey's IPR's?
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:46:30 AM »

Did one of you guy's have hands on experience with Peavey's IPR amps yet? have they started shipping the 4500/6000? DSP model?
On paper it sounds like the newest hottest potato in town, is it also that good on set?
What about for subs (IPR6000 on SRX728s)? it has a pretty low dumping factor (at least the IPR 3000/1600) and if it works in bridged mono on subs I think it's supposed to be even lower (divided by two fold).

Sound quality wise?
How good is the DSP?

Are they pretty much comparable to Crown's XTI amps?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:26:00 PM by Philipp Hausmann »

Philipp Hausmann

Re: What do you think about Peavey's IPR's?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:15:11 AM »

Up

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:59:45 AM »

I have not seen or used either but this thread from the Peavey  Forums may be of some interest http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23622

You may have to wait a while longer as they are discontinuing the IPR4500 and IPR6000 BUT they are going to re-introduce the IPR4500 as an IPR5000 and won't say just yet what the IPR6000 will become. See the post by Marty McCann.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:02:08 AM by Jonathan Goodall »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »

Don't for get about the Crest version of the IPR, I think it's to called "Pro Lite". Said to be a heavier duty version of the IPR. Don't know if there actually on the street yet though.

Steven warner

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »

Don't for get about the Crest version of the IPR, I think it's to called "Pro Lite". Said to be a heavier duty version of the IPR. Don't know if there actually on the street yet though.

direct pro audio has them in stock supposedly. Im not sure how their different from the ipr's but they are more "pro" looking and the weight is a bit more. Im tempted. I may pick up a couple and try them on monitors.  One of my buddies has had a set of ipr s on monitors for a few months now without issues. 

Keith Billik

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »

Did one of you guy's have hands on experience with Peavey's IPR amps yet? have they started shipping the 4500/6000? DSP model?
On paper it sounds like the newest hottest potato in town, is it also that good on set?
What about for subs (IPR6000 on SRX728s)? it has a pretty low dumping factor (at least the IPR 3000/1600) and if it works in bridged mono on subs I think it's supposed to be even lower (divided by two fold).

Sound quality wise?
How good is the DSP?

Are they pretty much comparable to Crown's XTI amps?

I run a couple IPR1600 on monitors (Yamaha CM12V, which means they are slightly underpowered).

I've had no problems and am pleased with the sound, and of course the weight is incredible. The construction feels a little cheap (particularly the gain knobs and on/off button) but if you keep it racked like I do then no biggie. Also, due to the standby lights which make it look like the amp is turned on all the time,  I've caught myself trying to troubleshoot my signal path when I really just needed to turn the amp on! A little annoying but whatever.

2 things about using them for subs: I don't think any of the models are rated for bridge mode, so plan accordingly.

Also, don't be concerned with damping factor. Using short runs of thick gauge cable, and keeping your load around 4 ohms (not 2) will help way more than the amp specs.

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 04:33:13 AM »

I run a couple IPR1600 on monitors (Yamaha CM12V, which means they are slightly underpowered).

I've had no problems and am pleased with the sound, and of course the weight is incredible. The construction feels a little cheap (particularly the gain knobs and on/off button) but if you keep it racked like I do then no biggie. Also, due to the standby lights which make it look like the amp is turned on all the time,  I've caught myself trying to troubleshoot my signal path when I really just needed to turn the amp on! A little annoying but whatever.

2 things about using them for subs: I don't think any of the models are rated for bridge mode, so plan accordingly.

Also, don't be concerned with damping factor. Using short runs of thick gauge cable, and keeping your load around 4 ohms (not 2) will help way more than the amp specs.

Just to add to Keith's reply, the IPR's are'nt rated for bridge but the can be configured to do that, I'm quoting from talkBass: "The IPR's can be bridged into 8 ohms, but it's kinda tricky. You have to parallel the inputs (no signal inversion or anything, just a straight parallel. Then, you take (+) from channel 1 and (-) from channel 2. Match the gain control on both channels and you're there.". I think you need to stick to what I quoted if bridging is what you want and no less then 8 ohms so no SRX728s on them.

I guess from what I heard it's more of a marketing limitation rather then an actual amp limitation to brand Crest as a higher end brand with the new Pro Lite line which is bridgeable and looks a bit more professional. I couldn't find a complete spec sheet for the Pro Lite to make a complete feature comparison.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:35:22 AM by Yosi Melamed »
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 07:02:18 AM »

it has a pretty low dumping factor (at least the IPR 3000/1600) and if it works in bridged mono on subs I think it's supposed to be even lower (divided by two fold).
I think you mean Damping Factor and unless it is very low it is not usually a factor in real applications where you have to account for the actual load impedance and the cable impedance in addition to the amplifier output impedance.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/what_is_loudspeaker_damping_damping_factor_df/

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/understanding_the_relationship_between_amplifier_damping_factor_impedance_c/

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »

I used the IPR 1600 this past summer at a weekly polo match in the Hamptons. The one side of the amp was a 4 ohm load while the other was running at 2 ohms. (I daisy chain speakers along each side of the field) and the amp worked out great. Yes, I too was fooled by the lights remaining on however the weight reduction and features (switchable sub out) came in very useful for other applications as well.

I agreee that the amp seems to be made of tin and the appearance looks as if it was purchased at Walmart yet I was more than satisfied with my purchase. Regarding the Crest, I too think it would be a better overall choice for slightly more demanding situations and may have a longer life expectancy.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »

"I bought these really cheap amps and guess what? They look and feel cheap..." (go figure). If they are low cost and don't suck, they sound like your classic Peavey products.

I've probably said this before. but if the manufacturer doesn't support using them bridged, there may be a good reason. The manufacturer should know the product limitations better than you or I. Operating an amplifier in bridged mode involves more than just differential output signals, the protection between both channels must be coordinated, etc.

In my experience Peavey is not a very sophisticated merchandiser, and  intentionally disabling a feature in the Peavey model to move customers to the Crest model would only "maybe" work if both were sold and available in the exact same distribution channels. The more likely result of such gamesmanship would be to make the Peavey model less competitive against other similar brands. Of course this is speculation on my part, but informed by a little past experience. 

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.