ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think about Peavey's IPR's?  (Read 24783 times)

Philipp Hausmann

Re: What do you think about Peavey's IPR's?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 11:55:01 PM »

Well I'm not a Peavey insider,, but I was... not only inside but I was the product manager for all power amps at one time so I know a little about it... just not exact details about these recent amps.

Regarding bigger caps that is a pretty good way to make the Crest amps slightly different in a merchantable "slightly better" way... Adding a steel chassis to a "lightweight" power amp seems a little odd. I'd be inclined to lose the Tijuana taxi cab blue LEDs that you can't ever turn off. That would really keep me up at night in more ways than the obvious.

I don't care where other people live, but many people when they hear I'm living in MS think I'm some kind of dumb ass. I recall one funny exchange after Peavey bought Crest and I was up there on some business..  The lady office manager, a definite NJ classic, was afraid I might get lost, returning the rental car. I got a kick out of cluing her in that I grew up a few towns over.. :-)

I've seen Hartley work that angle when people underestimate him. It's almost unfair, to the other people. :-)

JR

Dear JR,
Reading all the thread, many many other threads on this forum and many other forums, reading allot of technical articles just so I could make an educated choice, but now I'm more confused then when I was just an ignorant customer. Why oh why did I choose the red pill.

My budget for subs and amplification is $1500-2000. I really wanted to work with the professional staff.
What do you suggest I do? may be save up some more...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:59:29 PM by Philipp Hausmann »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »

Dear JR,
Reading all the thread, many many other threads on this forum and many other forums, reading allot of technical articles just so I could make an educated choice, but now I'm more confused then when I was just an ignorant customer. Why oh why did I choose the red pill.

My budget for subs and amplification is $1500-2000. I really wanted to work with the professional staff.
What do you suggest I do? may be save up some more...
For $2k you can't get new SRX and appropriate new amps!
Look used for both. You can always upgrade the amps later.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 11:03:50 AM »

You are asking the right questions, I don't give product advice.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »

You are asking the right questions, I don't give product advice.

JR

A wise man indeed!  Could it be.....YOU are the Old Soundman!
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/the_old_soundman_helping_a_newbie_properly_spec_a_system/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:19:08 AM by Chuck Simon »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »

As far as being old, guilty as charged, but not the OSM...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 12:51:36 PM »

A wise man indeed!  Could it be.....YOU are the Old Soundman!
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/the_old_soundman_helping_a_newbie_properly_spec_a_system/

The OSM has been MIA for a couple of years.  If there are new articles by him, he is being channeled by others.  Seance, perhaps?

Tim "knows the secret identity, but not the secret location" Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Maye

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »

Did one of you guy's have hands on experience with Peavey's IPR amps yet? have they started shipping the 4500/6000? DSP model?
On paper it sounds like the newest hottest potato in town, is it also that good on set?
What about for subs (IPR6000 on SRX728s)? it has a pretty low dumping factor (at least the IPR 3000/1600) and if it works in bridged mono on subs I think it's supposed to be even lower (divided by two fold).

Sound quality wise?
How good is the DSP?

Are they pretty much comparable to Crown's XTI amps?
I've only had experience with the IPR 1600 on monitor duty and they worked fine. But I was curious about sub duty also. When I looked at the owners manual I was a little curious as to not being able to bridge them. So anyway I had a 3 gig weekend and had the extra cash and was in Gitfiddle center talking with one of the managers. Now this isn't one of your normal Know nothing GC employees (he also plays 6 instruments very well). So anyway he mentions the Crown competion. Anyway I end up walking out with a pair of XLS 1500's for $600 plus tax. I bridged them and tried them with a pair of JBL MRX 528's. They work great. At 1550 RMS they seem to be a pretty good match. Me thinks they are on to something with these class D amps. By the way, the box with 2 XLS's and a PL236 (ducking...SKB rotomolded case) weighs about 45 lbs.   Be advised the the XLS's airflow is front to back.

Chris Van Duker

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »

There's some new info posted on the amps replacing the 4500 and 6000 here: http://peavey.com/products/proaudio/poweramps/ipr/index.cfm/item/116951/IPR%26trade%3B%26nbsp%3B5000.html and here: http://peavey.com/products/proaudio/poweramps/ipr/index.cfm/item/116952/IPR%26trade%3B7500.cfm

Peavey IPR 5000:
- 2900W RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 1780W RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 975W RMS x 1 at 8 ohms
- 2525W RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
- 1510W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
- 890W RMS x 2 at 8 ohms

Peavey IPR 7500:
- 3850W RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 2400W RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 1330W RMS x 1 at 8 ohms
- 3750W RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
- 2022W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
- 1250W RMS x 2 at 8 ohms

David Flowers

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »

And Still,, No release date,,,,,,,,

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.