Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board FUD Forum Archive

So, what's first?

(1/2) > >>

Tom faderjockey Brandis:
So, over the years I've learned a lot on the workings of medium size PA systems and one thing has eluded me. When tuning a PA system, exactly what steps do you take first?

I've time aligned systems, checked for phase issues, set crossovers, limiters, PEQ's, GEQ's, etc, etc.

But what exactly are the proper steps to doing this? You certainly wouldn't start building the stick frame of your new home before the foundation is done.

Is there an order to this?

I guess without getting into long drawn out discussions about how to do each step, I'd just like to know what you guys think about which order it should be done in.

Thanks in advance.

Tom in Baltimore

Rob Timmerman:
Is everything working correctly?
Are the speakers deployed in an appropriate manner?  (Coverage, splay, etc)
Are any external processing settings correct for the system (manufacturer suggested crossover, delay, PEQ)?

If all three of these steps are taken care of, the rest can fall into place reasonably quickly.

In general, deal with physical issues (speaker placement and aim) first - that affects everything.  Next is crossover point or points and delay (including protective HPF and LPF filters).  Get the bandpasses to play nice with each other.  Only after that's done should you even think about touching any EQ.

Ivan Beaver:
This past Saturday the AES chapter of Atlanta had a measurement workshop.

Here is a slide from my presentation that addresses just what you are asking.

This one is just the start of the process.

Jay Barracato:
I like your choice of background. I think I did a show there once.

And your content is useful as well.

Chris Hindle:
Jay Barracato wrote on Mon, 21 February 2011 10:23
.......... I think I did a show there once.

Me too. Top floor of a "club", and the staircase was around 24" wide     We had to strip the amps out of the racks and rebuild eveything once inside the "venue"
Life's a bitch when you're hired to stuff a 40Kw rig into a 600 watt club   for a track act.
This was 20 or so years ago. Think EX-4000's and 3800's. Many of them..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version