Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board FUD Forum Archive

rider friendly house mic kit

<< < (2/2)

Jim McKeveny:
On my fly-in one-offs I don't have time to check out new gear properly. I want to see "known quantities" in the mic package, especially voice mics. There are enough other variables to deal with.

I'd have some B87A/C heads available on the wireless, and if you are going to go for the E6 have the double-hook option available. MKE2's should be the sweatproof Golds or Platinums. Get inline preamps for some that allow their use as clip on string mics.

My .02.

Jim McKeveny:
The B52 is ubiquitous, but really mediocre. There is a whole list of things I'd rather use including a plain 57.

James Feenstra:
Add;
4 904
2 609
2 beta 91
6 sm58
6 sm57
1 beta 52

Remove:
2 421 (we have two in our mic kit and they haven't been used in at least a year)
Anything that's not sennheiser or shure unless you REALY like them

Why? Because 95% of riders will be satisfied with a sennheiser or shure kit, and if you've got a decent mix of the staples of both you'll be covered. Anyone who wants something different will more than likely be packing their own.

Audix and hiel are great and all, but most touring guys using a house kit want to see stuff they're familiar with, and for the most part that's sennheiser and shure. You'll see a much better roi out of those two brands than you will any other companies mics.

Simon Ryder:
I use my 421s several times a week.

I tend to suggest them as replacements for 57s in brass and guitar applications.

They really are one of the best saxophone mics going.

I would leave them on the list.

(they make a much better kick mic than a d6 or a B52 as well)

I agree with everything else James Feenstra has said.

Oh yes, if you are playing in those leagues add a pair of AKG c414s.

Jason J Raboin:
I would have to agree with other posters that if I need the mic to be anything other than a 57/58, I bring it with me.  

That said, I see no reason not to get a couple of mics of your choice, and offer them to visiting engineers as an alternative to the standard kit.

Maybe get 2 x PR35.  They can be used anywhere a PR30 can and are also great vocal mics.  

I would get:

1 x B52
6 x SM57
6 x SM58
4 x KSM137
4 x KSM32

2 x PR35
1 x PR40
4 x PR28 (I find visiting engineers generally aren't fussy about tom mics)

Wireless and Di's as you listed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version