ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Problems In South Africa Ahead Of U2 Concert  (Read 10133 times)

the other Mike Russell

Power Problems In South Africa Ahead Of U2 Concert
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »

We have enough AC worries on a typical gig... now copper cable theft, yikes!

JOHANNESBURG (AP) -- Officials blame thieves for power problems at South Africa's main World Cup stadium, but the stadium manager promised Friday the lights will be on in time for a U2 concert.

The theft of power cables in the area around Johannesburg's FNB Stadium led to fluctuations in supplies that can damage generators and other equipment, stadium manager Jacques Grobbelaar said Friday. City Power spokesman Sol Masolo said his utility had asked police to investigate a case of cable theft in the matter.

Cable theft, widespread in South Africa and elsewhere, is likely to increase with recent global copper price rises.

Grobbelaar said U2 is expected to draw 98,000 fans, making the Feb. 13 concert a bigger event than the World Cup final, when the stadium hosted about 94,000 people.

Walter Wright

Re: Power Problems In South Africa Ahead Of U2 Concert
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »

i just hope all the vuvuzelas are in the same keys as the songs Rolling Eyes
Professional Guitar Repair Tech,
Semi-professional Sound Guy

Adam Finlayson

• http://www.quakecentralsound.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 02:30:19 AM »

Here in the UK, railway cable theft is an every day occurance.  Up where I am, the recent heavy snow brought down around 500m of mains powerlines and before the National Grid engineers could get to the location to repair it, it was all gone.

We used to occasionally leave reels of cable and bits of truss out in the yard during the day to keep the warehouse floor clear when we were prepping a big rig, but copper and metal theft is so bad around here, we cant even do that for fear of them getting nicked.

Also, a friend of mine recently had his warehouse broken into.  Rather than take any of the audio or lighting kit worth hundreds of thousands of pounds, all they stole was 2x reels of 100m 3x 6mm rubber cable worth less than

David Morison

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:12:36 AM »

Adam Finlayson wrote on Thu, 24 February 2011 07:30

Also, a friend of mine recently had his warehouse broken into.  Rather than take any of the audio or lighting kit worth hundreds of thousands of pounds, all they stole was 2x reels of 100m 3x 6mm rubber cable worth less than
Pages: [1]   Go Up