ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up a practice room  (Read 14113 times)

Eric Jowell

Setting up a practice room
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »

We have a small 12x15 foot practice room that we are trying to dial in. It has foam paneling and carpet on all surfaces except the ceiling. The problem we are having is feedback with our PA system. Our current setup has the drums facing everyone with the PA and the Monitors behind him facing the rest of the band. Our mics are positioned away from the speakers and the drums yet we still get feedback when we start playing. We just bought a powered Eurolive B2015 Active Monitor to add to our system so we can increase the threshold of power and range without having to crank up the volume on our PA. We haven't tested it yet but I have a feeling it's all about positioning and volume. My diagnosis is that we are getting so much feedback because we have to turn the PA up so loud to hear the vocals and its only a 400watt PA (Yamaha EMX640). Also the EQ on all channels are flat, so it couldn't be the EQ could it? Effects are all off.

Anyone have ideas on how we can reduce vocal feedback in such a small space while having the vocals decently loud? Right now our singer is having to use everything hes got in practice just to hear himself, which is not good at all.

Charlie Zureki

Re: Setting up a practice room
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »

Hello Eric,

Simplest answers...get a bigger room, spread out, don't aim the "mains" at the microphones,  and learn how to minimize feedback...use the "archives" and this forum's "search".

And... post these types of questions in the "lounge"

Cheers,
 Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Eric Jowell

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »

Not very helpful, pretty cocky answer. Shouldn't expect anything less here...

Maybe some one else has an actual answer for my particular situation? We don't need a bigger room and can't afford one. So if we could, why would I even be here asking a stupid question like that?

Dick Rees

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »

There'll be plenty more room for you if you lose the ego, chum.  You've asked a pretty "stupid question" (quoting your own words) in a forum whose clearly stated purpose is "topics related to sound reinforcement and application of audio, products and technology for live events." Setting up a practice room hardly falls within this purview.

Look it up.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Eric Jowell

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »

How about fuck you and this forum? I'm out - good riddance, and good luck applying your ass to your face in a live application of self fucking.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:28:41 PM »

Eric Jowell wrote on Tue, 08 February 2011 21:42

How about fuck you and this forum? I'm out - good riddance, and good luck applying your ass to your face in a live application of self fucking.

Ha ha ha!

Right in the ear hole!

index.php/fa/34931/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Ben Johnson

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:11:31 AM »

Eric Jowell wrote on Tue, 08 February 2011 20:42

He's leaving?  Without him the old forums won't last another month.

Ben
"The sigfile.  Where people share their wisdom about life and the human condition, usually by quoting somebody else." -Me.

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 07:18:17 AM »

Eric Jowell wrote on Tue, 08 February 2011 20:22

Not very helpful, pretty cocky answer. Shouldn't expect anything less here...

Maybe some one else has an actual answer for my particular situation? We don't need a bigger room and can't afford one. So if we could, why would I even be here asking a stupid question like that?

Eric,

In your post you've asked some complex questions, given that we do NOT know how you have your Sound gear and instruments set up, what type of band gear you have, and the levels, (including eq), that you are pushing, also with, everything being in a very small room.

There is no other easy set of answers, based on the information that you've given, that I could have offered.
 (you never mentioned what frequency that you thought was feeding back or even what instrument you thought was feeding back)

When someone posts a question, which, at the time may seem simple to them, but, could be a complicated problem, the easiest and quickest answer for the poster ...is for them to do their own homework.

I had pointed you in the right direction in regards to finding a solution to your problem....(Library, Archives, and "search" function) (and, don't point your speakers at the mics)  

For you to deal with the symptom (feedback), you need to understand what causes feedback.

Hammer

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »

Eric Jowell wrote on Tue, 08 February 2011 20:42

Wow, you really know how to get your questions answered. Laughing

Hammer

Scott Crawford

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »

I guess he is gone now. I just sat down with my popcorn.

Scott
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.