ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: school needs cheap wireless lavs for production  (Read 5240 times)

james page

school needs cheap wireless lavs for production
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:30:19 PM »

The local high school asked me to help them purchase mics for their spring production. They already have 2 of the entry level  Shure wireless lav systems and they must be satisfied because they asked for 6 more. They paid $300 each for their current mics and they've budgeted $1800 for 6 more.
I looked at the comparable Senn but they only offer 4 bands. Anything else out there?
Thanks,
JP

Jay Barracato

Re: school needs cheap wireless lavs for production
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:15:06 PM »

Our school runs a bunch of the audio technica freeways for plays and such. I don't tech for the school so I really never looked at the exact model or frequencies.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

james page

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »

Thanks Jay. I can see an Audio-Technica ATW-2129 that seems like the same price range. I wonder how it compares to the Shure.
JP

Jay Barracato

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:47:13 AM »

I have never compared the low end, but in the middle range I prefer AT wireless to Shure. At the top end, it is a tossup and really comes down to the character of the mic, and when used with the same mic, I didn't notice much difference.

For the record, our theatre department does everything "wrong" (number of units, antenna placement, receiever placement) and they still seem to work for them.

edit: in case you missed the other discussion check out

http://www.microphonemadness.com/

when you need replacement mics.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

james page

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »

Thanks for that microphonemadness tip Jay.
Do you think these low end units vary much on battery life: and is there a way to tell how long a battery would last in an AT vs Shure?
JP

Jay Barracato

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »

I don't think it is a fair comparison because if I remember rightly it is AA vs 9 volt. I actually prefer AA but either should get you a show + at the minimum.

For some reason in a school setting consumables like batteries seem to be a reasonable purchase but getting a budget for the major items is always unreasonable (at least to the bean counters around my way). I would plan on having batteries included in the shows consumables list and just change every performance.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

james page

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »

Jay Barracato wrote on Thu, 03 February 2011 21:07

I don't think it is a fair comparison because if I remember rightly it is AA vs 9 volt.

You were right. The Shure uses 9v and claims 8 hrs. AT uses 2 AA and claims 7-9 hours. And since they already will be using 9v for the two Shure units they already have, that might be reason enough to stay with Shure.
JP

Don Boomer

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »

Try before you buy.

You may love their performance when using two of them but adding 6 more may not work.  It's tough to get cheap mics up in numbers.  I'd shop somewhere with a liberal return policy ... or buy much better mics.  
Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

james page

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:13:59 AM »

Good advice though about the return policy. I'll be sure to check.
I spoke with tech support at AT and they said I would have no problem adding 6 of their ATW 2129 systems. I also spoke with the guy at Microphonemadness and he was very impressed with the AT 2000 series. I'm hoping to buy a couple of their mics for the featured performers.
JP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.