ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spekking a 6K Pa system  (Read 7820 times)

Huw Williams

Spekking a 6K Pa system
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »

Hi im new to this site and not sure if im going about it right way
have lots of questions to ask in mind to clarifying points relevant to spekking PA systems (yes im in university but keen to get as much input as possible )

obviously im trying to put the research in myself to find stuff out but id welcome any comments or suggestions to help me along

got to spec 4 smaller systems that would fit together to combine into 1 larger venue system for about 6K

theres a 75K budget cap on  everything but looking to include absolutely everything

first question ? am I going down wrong road when thinking about small array type set ups (like EAW range ) to get more efficiency when combined for distance coverage

if this is too broad a question or not right material for this forum please comment I dont want to waste anyones time but really welcome extra input
thanks Huw

Silas Pradetto

Re: Spekking a 6K Pa system
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

What do you mean by 6k? You could certainly get 6k watts within your budget (but sound systems shouldn't be specified in watts), but there's no way you're going to do 6k people right for $75k, unless it's speech or maybe jazz...

Tony Mitchell

• http://www.eventpahire.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »

@ the OP - did you not find enough inspiration in the 25 or so answers you got when you posted your essay question on SOS?

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Numb er=891261&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=& fpart=1#891261

Dick Rees

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »

Sounds like the course in question is Personal Shopper 101.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Doug Fowler

Re: Spekking (sic) a 6K Pa system
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »

Thank you Tony.

"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Huw Williams

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »

ahemm it wasnt me that posted on sound on sound (must be someone from my assignment year though)

thanks for the link though it has come in very useful
like I said in OP being a newbie to sound is hard as lots of people will tell you lots of different things and its not allways easy to get out there and pick the knowledge up at the event level

This is my goal though and not to just be interpreted as some 'tarquin' gear head with no real idea of how it really works

so any input is really well appreciated thank you lots it all helps  

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »

Isn't this "Pro Sound Web" and not "College Sound Web"? The LAB is a forum for people who make their living doing this.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Huw Williams

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »

okay Bennett point taken
will not pursue this thread any longer
as i said I am new to the forum and despite being a 'student' Im 41 and trying my best to get live work experience. fully appreciate that the knowledge is hard earned by most in the industry  

in this age if you dont ask you dont get !! maybe this isnt the place to ask such broadly related questions so point taken there

Ive checked out some of your articles on sound and found them to be very useful particularly array article

its all about acquiring professional opinion for me so thanks

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »

My point was simply that this topic belongs in the lounge at best, or perhaps basement. However, as you can see you're not going to get many responses trying to build get us to come up with a detailed sound system spec off the top of our heads to cover 6K people for your school work.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Jay Barracato

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 06:22:25 AM »

After the assignment is due, please have your instructor report back and post what they think the best solution is.
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Brad Weber

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 08:09:46 AM »

Huw Williams wrote on Thu, 03 February 2011 15:03

in this age if you dont ask you dont get !! maybe this isnt the place to ask such broadly related questions so point taken there

Perhaps the point both here and in regards to your assignment is to learn what needs to be known to even start to put together the systems.  For example, would the systems be used indoors, outdoors or both?  What might be the sizes of the listener areas?  What styles of music might be involved?  Are there any specific performance or tech rider requirements to consider?   Are you providing backline for any events?  Any constraints on transport?  Do you need to provide dedicated rigging, stands, etc. for all events?  What about power distro?  Does "absolutely everything" include a way to transport all the gear, canopies, test and maintenance equipment and tools and literally everything needed starting from scratch?

Even experienced professionals would be guessing with the information provided and learning what needs to be identified to start putting together potential solutions may be the goal.  If your instructors can't provide that information or don't think it's important, then maybe it's time to start looking for a new school.

It's also interesting that the discussion on SoS was for a 6kW system that could be broken into four 1kW systems with a budget of 75,000 Pounds (around $120,000).  Changing that to 6,000 and 1,000 people with a $75,000 budget seems to represent significantly more system and significantly less money.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Andre Vare

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »

Jay Barracato wrote on Fri, 04 February 2011 06:22

After the assignment is due, please have your instructor report back and post what they think the best solution is.

+1 with a bullet.   Very Happy   The question is so nebulous, it brings to question the knowledge of the positer.

Andre

Dick Rees

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:41:27 AM »

Andre Vare wrote on Fri, 04 February 2011 09:37

Jay Barracato wrote on Fri, 04 February 2011 06:22

+1 with a bullet.   Very Happy   The question is so nebulous, it brings to question the knowledge of the positer.

Andre

That's not a positer......it's a suppositer.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »

no way you're going to buy a system to cover 6000 people for $75,000

add a zero and you're getting close
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 15 queries.