ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: more mixes on a LS9  (Read 10720 times)

Peter Dakin

more mixes on a LS9
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »

with recent updates on the LS9-32, I'm a little behind the times.
I know with the M7cl now, you can have sends on faders for matrix and add things individually to a matrix sends. Effectively giving you a 24 bus desk.

However with the LS9 it used to be the case that you could only send to a matrix, from a output bus? Is this still the case?

Basically the issue I have is I have a show coming up on monitors where I need 15 mixes and 2-3 Fx sends for reverb. The reverb sends are from drums and vocals, so its not really possible to use insert points to trigger the verbs.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping that the LS9 now allows sends to matrix from individual channels, which I can then use for my FX sends.

Cheers,

Hayden J Nebus

Re: more mixes on a LS9
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:17:35 AM »

If you have open channels and fx sends are discrete, e.g. lead vox verb, you could split the headamp to 2 channels and insert fx on one.

I'm still on old firmware, so Im unsure about sends on fader to mtx. I would check with yamaha support.

Can you foldback a wet fx return from the FOH desk? That's usually how I cope when out of facilities in monitor world.
Hayden J. Nebus
Audio Engineer
Assistant Production Manager
SMG Richmond
Richmond Centerstage and the Landmark Theater

Peter Dakin

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »

sadly the three FX sends are artistic specific, hence not going with your insert idea. I had thought about it and its my get out jail reserve work around...

Artist 1 likes a big hall on key items (e.g. vox, bv's, acst and strings)
Artist 2 like a small plate on his vox and guitar.
FX 3 is drum plate across kit and acoustic instruments and is dialled into everyone else's mixes.

its not the sends-on-fader that interests me (though that'd be handy), its the ability to send individual channels to a matrix, as opposed to just a output.

Thanks for the input. Pun intended!  Very Happy

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »

I think the limitation is more the number of mixes you can juggle on that interface. Even if it could do 48 mixes, if you're doing more than 6 (or maybe that many stereo mixes) you're using the wrong tool, or giving your client too much.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Rick Stansby

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »

You still can't send individual channels to matrices on the LS9.

Assuming this board is only being used for monitors, you might be able to come up with some creative panning and routing to use the left, right, and mono as 3 more aux sends.

Of course Bennett is right that a bigger mixer would be the best solution.
Rick

Peter Dakin

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:02:47 AM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Wed, 02 February 2011 19:12

Assuming this board is only being used for monitors, you might be able to come up with some creative panning and routing to use the left, right, and mono as 3 more aux sends.

Well a bigger desk would be lovely, but budget dictates that I either use in-house or carry a LS9.

I tend to keep everything in post fade, but the stereo/mono bus is a excellent workaround.. especially the mono bus cheers for that.

Annoying Yamaha haven't enabled individual channels to matrices, but guess they have to draw a line somewhere for price differential.

Rick Stansby

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »

Peter Dakin wrote on Thu, 03 February 2011 00:02

Rick Stansby wrote on Wed, 02 February 2011 19:12

Well a bigger desk would be lovely, but budget dictates that I either use in-house or carry a LS9.

I tend to keep everything in post fade, but the stereo/mono bus is a excellent workaround.. especially the mono bus cheers for that.

Annoying Yamaha haven't enabled individual channels to matrices, but guess they have to draw a line somewhere for price differential.

Yeah, I figured you didn't have an option to change boards.

I have been somewhat frustrated that Yamaha hasn't passed down a bunch of the M7 upgrades to the LS9, but as you say - they need to ensure that the M7 is enough better to justify the extra cost.

Good luck.
Rick

Tim Padrick

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:53:22 AM »

You could route the direct outs (via a card) to a line mixer, and use it for additional auxes (sort of like using a Shure AuxPander).

Christopher Trupe

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:37:11 AM »

Sounds like a case of the wrong tool for the job.  Also, I don't think its yamaha drawing the line on certain products.  Think about an anaolg console, you can't get to a matrix without going through a subgroup.  Yes with digital you can jump these hoops sometimes, but I think people forget how the analog consoles work and why Yamaha makes some of these choices.  You ultimatly need a board with more output mixes.  Comprimise is the name of the game, give client the choice, take a way a few mixes to get your effects, loose the effects, or have client pay more if they don't want to comprimise and get a console with more mixes.

Peter Dakin

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:37:53 AM »

Christopher Trupe wrote on Sun, 06 February 2011 09:37

...give client the choice...

then it'll be a Folio SX!

No I totally hear what your saying but as mention there isn't budget for a beefy desk so compromise will be the name of the game, I was just curious if new updates had enabled alternative matrix patching.

Cheers for the comments.

Dan Richardson

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:12:55 AM »

Peter Dakin wrote on Tue, 08 February 2011 08:37

there isn't budget for a beefy desk so compromise will be the name of the game,.

This is a show that needs 15 mixes but there isn't enough budget for sufficient desk? What's wrong with this picture?
dut duruduttdurudutt dut dutt. I hate iphones.

Peter Dakin

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:29:08 AM »

Dan Richardson wrote on Tue, 08 February 2011 08:12

Peter Dakin wrote on Tue, 08 February 2011 08:37

there isn't budget for a beefy desk so compromise will be the name of the game,.

This is a show that needs 15 mixes but there isn't enough budget for sufficient desk? What's wrong with this picture?

8 piece band

5 wedge mixes over 6 wedges (2 mixes are only used for backups/solo sections)
4 stereo in-ears
2 mono ears
3 reverbs

Obviously all my IEM's could be mono, however the 4 stereo IEM's are the money channels and they are used to having stereo.

Picture looks fine to me.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »

Peter,

I'm curious.  You mentioned it is an 8 piece band.  I assume the 4 stereo and 2 mono ears are for 6 performers.  What are the 5 wedge mixes for besides backups and solos? Couldn't you condense wedge mixes?

Jonathan

Peter Dakin

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »

Band:
L Guitar, R Guitar, Keys, Bass, Drums, Sax, 2 x BV's

1    - SR Lead Guitar (Pair)
2    - Centre Backup/Solo (single)
3    - SL Sax (single)
4    - Drum Fill (single sub used as a butt kicker)
5    - Bass (single used to add weight to IEMs)
6    - IEM 1 BV 1
7/8  - IEM 2 Lead Vox/R Guitar
9/10 - IEM 3 Bass (HW)
11/12- IEM 4 Keys (HW)
13/14- IEM 5 Drums (HW)
15   - IEM 6 BV2
16   - FX 1 Drum Plate

ideally I then wanted a reverb dedicated to mix 7/8 (Lead Vox) and reverb for mix 11/12 (keys).
All fitted on nicely last year, but Keyboard player has moved onto IEM's rather than wedges (much to everyone's delight) and he struggled with mono.

As mentioned the reverbs aren't mission critical, they're just the icing on the cake. The above mixes for me and using ambience mics usually gets me through.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.