ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Outboard Upgrade DBX VS Drawmer  (Read 7848 times)

Davide_Bonetti

Analog Outboard Upgrade DBX VS Drawmer
« on: January 29, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »

I have the chance to upgrade my two DBX 166XLs gate/compressor with Drawmer DL241s or DBX 1066s... what would you choose and why?

Also feel free to suggest other brands/models. I need FOUR channels of gate/comp in TWO rack units.

Jim McKeveny

Re: Analog Outboard Upgrade DBX VS Drawmer
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »

Two of either doesn't give you any "real" gates. DBX has a single-rack space quad gate with filtering, and also a 1U quad comp that doesn't sound horrible. Forced into 2 spaces I might go there. Drawmer also has/had a quad 1U "Punch" gate that worked well.
Jim McKeveny
SoundResource
Bohemia, NY

Davide_Bonetti

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »

I already have the Drawmer 201s, that are real gates, and I am currently happy with the gate section of the DBX 166XL, which I use only for the comp I insert on the kick drum.

so I need four channels of gate/comp but only one will get the gate used on the kick drum, and I always found a basic gate (=no filtering) to be effective on the kick drum.

Jason Dermer

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:25:56 PM »

Caveat:
Asbury Audio is a dealer for all of the brands mentioned in this post.

We have 24 channels of 241, and 40+ channels of 1066, and have used/ still use them regularly.

Do you need to meet touring production riders?

If you need to meet "B" or better level riders, get the 241s. You probably won't ever be questioned about them.

The 241s are unquestionably a better sounding unit as well. I've never been able to get a 241 to distort or do anything ugly, the 1066s will only take so much before getting grainy. The 1066s have not been as reliable either. Although they aren't a regular problem, probably 1 in 4 of the 40 or so that we use have had to be serviced for various small issues. Granted, a lot of them are in install racks that see use 5-7 days a week, as compared to the 241s which are primarily road gear.

The 241s also cost nearly twice as much. Worth it? That's up to you. FWIW, our "A" level analog racks have the 241s, and "B" level/opener/ overflow/ club racks get the 1066s.

I used to advocate the 1046 as a good all around unit  for basic compression needs, but after spending some time with them in venues where we installed them, I've found that anything more than 10-12 db of reduction gets them sounding ugly.

If you do not need to meet riders, the Rane C4 is a phenomenal piece of gear. It is unfortunate that due to past issues with lower end gear, far too many touring guys want nothing to do with Rane, as this is probably the best 4 channel on the market, and costs about the same for a 4 channel unit as the Drawmer 2 space units. If the unit is for you, or you don't have riders to meet, buy one and be happy forever.
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »

I'm going to jump out of Lounge Land and add on to what Jason said.

On my university's main installed rig, we had around 2 each of Drawmer DS201, DS404, and DL441.  We also had a Rane C4.

The Drawmer gear was great, and worked flawlessly, but it always seemed to add something to the signal going through it (it wasn't "bad", but wasn't always wanted).  

The Rane C4 (which is digital inside, by the way) was "cleaner" and didn't impart anything to the signal going through it.  The metering was fantastic and responsive, and the built-in sidechain for de-essing or dynamic EQ is so nice to have.

We'd occasionally get some guest speakers whose speaking levels were all over the place.  The Drawmers worked fine for them, but when peaks came, and fast compression of 12dB or more was needed, it was noticeable.  The Rane unit's similar compression was inaudible.

I'd gladly give up an extra rack space for the unit, if I had the money for it.
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Chris Davis

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »

Davide Bonetti wrote on Sat, 29 January 2011 15:18

I already have the Drawmer 201s, that are real gates, and I am currently happy with the gate section of the DBX 166XL, which I use only for the comp I insert on the kick drum.

so I need four channels of gate/comp but only one will get the gate used on the kick drum, and I always found a basic gate (=no filtering) to be effective on the kick drum.

Hi. Since you mentioned other brands in your OP, I would also recommend the BSS DPR404 for the compressor.  Four channels in a single rack unit and a very good sounding compressor.  Then you have one space left over for the gates.

Steve Payne

• http://soundworksva.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »

I am going to side with Chris.  I think the BSS 504 gates and 404 comps are stellar.
They meet your form factor needs, are very easy to set up and use, sound excellent and meet most any rider handily.
steve

"My favorite things turn money into noise"

"Too much power is just right", - Carroll Shelby

Davide_Bonetti

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »

I ended up with one DBX 1066 and one BSS 402.... they're both on their way home so we'll see how they do... thank you everybody.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.