ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O1V effects vs. SPX90?  (Read 3878 times)

Matt Dittman

• http://attagurlrex.com
O1V effects vs. SPX90?
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:03:58 AM »

Does anyone know if the original O1V has the same effects that are found in the SPX90? I already have the O1V, and found a good deal on the SPX. Would adding an SPX90 just duplicate what's already in the O1V?

Geoff Doane

Re: O1V effects vs. SPX90?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »

The 01V has far more delay time available for starters.  I own/have owned both, and I can't say there is anything on the SPX that I miss on the 01V.

Just the fact that you'd have to use up scarce analog outputs to use the SPX would put me off the idea.

GTD

Matt Dittman

• http://attagurlrex.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »

Thanks. The reason I ask is that I run my bass guitar direct (with no amp/speakers on stage), but currently am using a Digitech GNX4 for effects. I really like the bass tone of Duff McKagan for the style of music we do, and know that he uses the chorus in the SPX90 as pretty much his only effect even to this day. If I can get close to it with the chorus on the O1V, that will save me some rack space.

Geoff Doane

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »

Well if you're just using it for the bass, that negates my concern over using up valuable outputs.  You should be able to plug the bass directly into the SPX (set the sensitivity switch to -20), and then take the outputs into a stereo channel of the 01V.  A guitar player I worked with for years did this quite successfully.

I have to confess a certain fondness for the SPX90.  It was the first affordable digital reverb that had an acceptable sound, and could do a few other tricks as well.  I used to have two of them and a REV7 racked up at FOH, with an Alesis MPX midi patch transmitter to change presets on all three at the same time.

GTD

Tim Padrick

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 03:29:25 AM »

If the instrument does not have active pickups, plugging in to the SPX first will compromise the tone, owing to the pickups being loaded down by the comparatively low input impedance of the SPX.

Ned Ward

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:48:32 PM »

I have an 01v and had a SPX90. I sold the SPX. you can get very close to the chorus presets, including Symphony, or build your own detuned versions.

Since you have the mixer, why not spend time tweaking chorus patches to see if you get to where you like?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.