ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your most embarrassing experience you have ever had in Audio?  (Read 25876 times)

Brian Abington

Hey guys,

I'm new here. I'm originally from the Omaha area and recently moved to the Spokane Washington area. I have over 20 years of experience in a Church volunteer FOH positions, and freelance show production work.

I thought the question of "What is your most embarrassing experience you have ever had in Audio?" would be a good ice breaker.

For myself, some of my friends in Omaha had all played in very well known bands over the years and came together to form a new band.

Their first show was in the small bar attached to the Ranch Bowl in Omaha. They asked me to run sound for them since the RB did not provide techs for the bar.

The bar had a small sound system consisting of a 16 ch mixer 2 speakers, 2 monitors, and a really old amp that was sooo full of dust bunnies that you could have made a rabbit from fuzz I pulled out of the openings on the back of the amp.

The first act was an acoustic duet, and the second was an acoustic solo act. Nothing to complicated.

It was a small enough room with only about 100 people that all I put mics on were the acoustic guitars of their 2 opening acts because they didn't bring an amp and I didn't have a direct box with me.

When when my friends band played I put the kick drum in the monitor for the drummer. That was all that was needed beyond the vocals because the bass and guitar amps were loud enough to be heard over the drums.

Into their first song the super dusty amp needing to finally exert itself to be loud started over heating, the cliping indicator kept flashing, and John sounded like he was singing with a kazoo in his mouth. Then the amp started to go into thermal protection and shut off.

I had the gains all the way down, and decent levels coming from the board. But there was nothing I could do about it. I told the band what was happening between songs but the crowd didn't know what was happening.

Everybody was staring at me because they thought I was the reason it sounded like crap and not the facilities poorly maintained equipment.

I sat on the floor behind the mix board the rest of the show.

frank kayser

Re: What is your most embarrassing experience you have ever had in Audio?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:10:42 AM »

We walked into a bar like that the other night - fortunately we brought our own stuff.

During setup, my friend called me over saying he had not seen anything like this outside a shop - OLD jbl 2x18 cab, top speaker teh dust cap was gone, the cone disconnected from the burned voice coil.  It looked like the cabs hadn't been used in years - just there taking up space on the dance floor, and attempting to impress, I guess.

They also had some old Cerwin Vegas on the wall, and some old Peaveys as well.  This place has been there since I was a kid, 40 yrs ago.  One could imagine...

As far as stupid, well most of what I do - but specifically, last Sat had some brain fade and plugged the IPOD into the INSERTs rather than the inputs - all I got was a woeful, pitiful low-level muffled sound out of the aux1 monitors - nothing out of the main - ran around looking at everything.  Of course, since I plugged the IPOD into the channel strips, I also inadvertantly disconnected two channels of DI - No signal, of course,  WTF? changed out pristine DI boxes with better ones and still nothing.  Of course, some of the DIs worked, so that was confusing.  10 min later, I had that D'oh! moment...

And we lived happily ever after...

Chris Hindle

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:31:25 AM »

Doing monitors for a BOTB about 25 years ago.
shared drums and guitar amps. Bring yer axe and keys.
2nd or 3rd group changeover, and this little 8 year old is poking around the drum kit. Tell him to bug off. 2 minutes later, he's sitting on the throne. Tell him to bug off.
Guitar dude starts to play a riff, again I tell the kid to bug off.
Rest of the band takes the stage, and now the little bugger is whaling away on the kit like he has been doing it all his life.
Turns out he HAS been doing it all his life. Pretty good at it too! He was able to play the entire set staring at me with daggers in his eyes, and not missing a beat.
Lesson learned ? Be carefull what you say at a gig. You may be surprised to see who's paying the tab.
"Ya, whatever. Just stick a '57 on it, and get off the stage"
Chris.

Jared Bartimus

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »

frank kayser wrote on Wed, 26 January 2011 06:10

As far as stupid, well most of what I do - but specifically, last Sat had some brain fade and plugged the IPOD into the INSERTs rather than the inputs

In my case it was plugging into the L/R output inserts instead of control room out for monitoring on my laptop but fortunately that was near the beginning of practice.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 02:55:26 PM »

Most of my embarrassing experiences are nightmares, literally. Had one last night that I was mixing some high profile event with a lot of spoken word in between music acts. I set up the system, Midas Pro 6 at FOH, and we did a check. For some reason whoever was in charge was all over my back the whole time, asking if I'd done this and that... I kept assuring them that I had certainly done that and was more than ready for their event. I was also under staffed, the only audio guy on the show, and my mix position was buried deep in the audience.

Anyway, we finish the run through and prep for the show. Show opens with an announcement by some dignitary, and I realize I haven't prepared... at all! Channel gains aren't set, no EQ or high pass, and I have nowhere near enough gain before feedback. Somehow there also doesn't seem to be any connection between my channel gain and the feedback that keeps happening, and people in the audience are starting to mutter to themselves about the audio. Another announcer steps up and I can't find her mic at all, it must be on some other layer, and I've covered up the banking buttons with a script or something. Every time I move it to try and find them I somehow just cover them up again, can't find them anywhere on the board. So I panic, and go into my patching, and try and patch her channel (which I can see on the screen) to the fader right next to the guy who was just speaking. Somehow I manage to delete my whole patch, inputs and outputs... dead air.

This is when I realize that the whole time I've actually been mixing on some kind of sidecar, and the actual desk is on the other side of the audience. When I killed my patch I also killed the assignments that make the sidecar work, so I have no control whatsoever any more. I'm going to have to get out of the row, packed with people, across the aisle, and into the other audience section to get to the main desk... and still there's dead air.

Just as I'm starting to think I've finally totally fucked my career I get that funny feeling like this isn't real, and I might be able to just wake up. This isn't my show, it never was and never will be, I can just wake up.

So I fucking did!
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Art Welter

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Wed, 26 January 2011 12:55

Just as I'm starting to think I've finally totally fucked my career I get that funny feeling like this isn't real, and I might be able to just wake up. This isn't my show, it never was and never will be, I can just wake up.

So I fucking did!

Did a show that required leaving for the gig at something like 4 AM.

After the opening band started, about 9pm that night, I turned the mix over to their band engineer.

I then fell asleep in my chair, but awoke because the sound had changed quite a bit.

The band engineer was looking at me, and pointing to the board, which had no lights on.

I had kicked the power supply switch off while sleeping Embarassed .

Fortunately, all it took was turning the switch back on, but I forgot to mute the crossover before turning on, so we got to hear a big turn on thump to match the turn off thump that had happened a few seconds before.

One other embarrassing moment came on the last night of a mini tour, I fell asleep at the console, dreaming of floating through islands.

Turns out the "islands" were round tables in the ballroom.

I awoke from the dream when I heard my name, the artist had said thanks to me over the PA for doing a great job on the tour Laughing .

Crimson and Clover, over and over...

Art Welter

Brian Abington

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »

Art thats really funny.

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »

Many years ago... I was a working a Tour through my hometown (at the time) of Houston.  I left the Coloseum to go to my home to relax, shower, change clothes, etc... before the Show.

I came back to the Coloseum about "doors", didn't have my Laminate, couldn't remember the Venue Manager's name, the security guards were different from when I had left earlier, and couldn't page any of the crew...because I didn't have their pager numbers with me.

The security guards weren't buying my story and didn't seem to put much effort into finding anyone that I'd named to vouch for me.

Finally, I found an opening and started into the Venue...with security guards chasing after me.  It almost became physical with the guards, just as the road crew, venue techs and promotion people stepped up to vouch for me. Embarassed  Twisted Evil

Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Dan Johnson

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 11:56:21 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Wed, 26 January 2011 13:55

Most of my embarrassing experiences are nightmares, literally.

I'm right there with you Bennett.  I have a recurring embarrassing experience where it's showtime and the PA is only about 20% set up and I'm scrambling just to get something workable going.

Ben Johnson

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:31:27 AM »

I did a gig about 7 years ago for Judy Tanuda (late 80s and 90s comedian).  She gave me a cd of tracks, and I was dreading finding the right times to run them with no one cueing me ("When I say '..and Cher gave me this dress', you play track 6," etc.)

That actually turned out to be pretty easy, what was rough was that the CD started having a little stutter when I'd start the track, just a moment and then it'd continue properly.  She gave me a funny look but just went on.

That happened maybe twice, then it failed completely.  ERR 07 or something similar on the player, and it stopped working.  It kinda tripped her up, so she stopped and asked about it.  Approximate quote, "Wait, what happened to the music?  BTW everyone, this my sound guy Ben who's been helping me today, and been really great.  Ben, what happened to the (whichever) clip?"  There's a pause as 300-500 people turn to look at me. "Um, the player froze completely."  And she just says "Oh, okay," and continues on.

I've been acknowledged by performers before, but usually not while semi-panicking because something's not working.  It's _way_ more attention than I wanted right then.

Habit now is that if the artist/client only carries 1 copy of the CD (or whatever media, but particularly CD), even if it plays flawlessly in rehearsal, copy it and have the backup cued and ready.  Seems obvious, I know.

Ben
"The sigfile.  Where people share their wisdom about life and the human condition, usually by quoting somebody else." -Me.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.