Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer FUD Forum Archive

What Is the Real Lowest Audible Frequency & Best Subs to Achieve It?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Bob Somers:
I've been doing more research on the Net and the Danley products certainly appear to be very potent.

I wonder what it would be like if the DTS-10 drivers were driven by the servo motor arrangement (or similar) that had been used in the Contrabass?

Art Welter:
Bob Somers wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 14:55
I've been doing more research on the Net and the Danley products certainly appear to be very potent.

I wonder what it would be like if the DTS-10 drivers were driven by the servo motor arrangement (or similar) that had been used in the Contrabass?

Large advances have been made in conventional woofers linear excursion potential, the difference between conventional and servo drive speakers is not much with the present state of the art.

Servo drive cones had around 16 MM Xmax, conventional cones of that time more like 4 or 5.
Today, 16 mm Xmax is still quite respectable, but becoming more common in conventional sub woofers.

Due to supply and demand, the price of servo motors is greater than it used to be, while high Xmax drivers costs have gone down.

Ivan Beaver:
Art Welter wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 17:47
Bob Somers wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 14:55

Large advances have been made in conventional woofers linear excursion potential, the difference between conventional and servo drive speakers is not much with the present state of the art.

Servo drive cones had around 16 MM Xmax, conventional cones of that time more like 4 or 5.
Today, 16 mm Xmax is still quite respectable, but becoming more common in conventional sub woofers.

Due to supply and demand, the price of servo motors is greater than it used to be, while high Xmax drivers costs have gone down.

You pretty much got it nailed.  There is just no advantage to using the servo technology with the state of todays drivers.

In its day the servos were very impressive.  But look at the state of loudspeakers in general-as compared to back then

Don Gspann:
The conventional drivers are pretty darn good, and I haven't heard the DTS 10 or 20, much less in my living room, but I do have 2 ContraBass subs in my living room.  I'm sure the transient response is much better on the new subs, but for the size and weight and the sheer wall/floor shaking, knick-nak knocking off shelves enjoyment, I'm not giving them up anytime soon!  A Telarc/DTS disc that has a recording of a space shuttle launch is too much fun to play for people.  At first, all your you hear is the windows rattling, and feel the house shaking!  Love them!

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound:
You need to hear/experience the Danley DTS-10's!

I have two that I assembled from the kits that Danley offered a while back.  In an open floor plan basement, roughly 30'x75', they ROCK!  In a typical sized living room, corner loaded, they would be devastating!

Jeff "has better sound at home than the local movie theater"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version