ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixer positioning over theater seats  (Read 6745 times)

Tomer Hagay

Mixer positioning over theater seats
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:56:25 PM »

Hi all,

Looking for creative ideas for positioning my mixing desk when mixing in theaters:
In some cases the only possible mixing position in a theater is somewhere above the fixed theater seats. This makes things challenging, since the rows are in different levels which requires some special setup.

I thought of building a table using these:
http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Table-Leg-Set-Legs/dp/B001D T5HMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1295642774&sr= 1-1

Any thoughts/ ideas?

Thanks!

Randy Amos

Re: Mixer positioning over theater seats
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »

Back in the day, I did a lot of work at the Tupperware Convention Center in Kissimmee, Florida. We built several tables approx. 3'X6' with legs only on the front side. The "uphill" edge of the platform would rest on the seat backs of whatever row you placed it in, and the "downhill" edge was supported by the legs. As our room had a consistent slant to the floor, the table was level whether you placed it on row A or row ZZ. Adjustable length legs would let you adapt to whatever room you were in.
We used these things all the time- for producers during rehearsals, as FOH for smaller shows, camera platforms, you name it. They were very handy.

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:55:18 AM »

I use a set of adjustable leg length metal saw horses and an old bifold door.  Fairly portable and quick to set up. Also bring along a board to span a couple of armrests to sit on.  
                      Hanno

Tomer Hagay

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:34:37 AM »

This is great info.
Hano, just to make sure I get it:

You put the sawhorse on the "downhill" side and the door on top of it from one end, supported by the seat backs on the other end?
(similar to Randy I guess)

Thanks

Brian Bolly

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:28:10 PM »

There was a thread recently about FOH chairs that drifted into console stands.  Check out Quik Lok

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/551702/565

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »

s great info.
Hano, just to make sure I get it:

You put the sawhorse on the "downhill" side and the door on top of it from one end, supported by the seat backs on the other end?
(similar to Randy I guess)

No, I straddle one row with sawhorses, the longer set of legs goes on the lower side, so that the tops are level.  usually the "body" of the horses fits into the gap between the seatbacks on adjacent seats.

Dick Rees

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »

Tomer...

If you really want to make this work I recommend that you make sure that you keep the "footprint" to an absolute minimum.  It's easy enough to make something to straddle the seats, but every seat lost to paying customers is the theater/promoter/performers loss.  The less space you take up, the happier those folks will be.  And remember that unless you're in the last row up against the wall you also run the risk of obstructing the view of folks seated behind you. I try to run as much stuff as I can from my laptop so that I don't have to have stuff piled up in the sight lines.

The down-side of all this is that you'll often end up close to a wall, either to the side or right behind you.  If you're lucky enough to work with folks who don't mind FOH being out in the best mix position (read prime seating), then good for you.

Good luck.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Mike_Monte

• http://www.allegrochamberplayers.com
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 07:31:50 AM »

"If you really want to make this work I recommend that you make sure that you keep the "footprint" to an absolute minimum. It's easy enough to make something to straddle the seats, but every seat lost to paying customers is the theater/promoter/performers loss."

Above is a point well-taken and not thought about very often.  I provided sound production for a Holiday concert this past December.  For the dress rehearsals I setup my FOH mixer position (with the approval of the producer) in the audience area and while not taking up any seats, there were a couple of seats behing the postion whose view was conpromised. At the last moment, the show was "sold out".  I'm sure that there were more than few dis-satisfied patrons in regards to line of sight.

Mike M

Tim A Perry

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 09:07:05 AM »

index.php/fa/34844/0/

keyboard stand with adjustable legs for small setups.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" ~ Berthold Auerbach

Tomer Hagay

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 02:34:53 PM »

Thanks again for the great info.
Just ordered this one:

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/WS8550/ grp/GRP000257

I'll tell you how it turned out...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.