ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: guitar amps on stage  (Read 17062 times)

Doyle Smith

guitar amps on stage
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:06:21 AM »

When our guitar amps are onstage (and our stages are small little "bar" stages) directly behind the vocal mics and are usually turned up LOUD, there is a lot of bleed into the vocal mics.  The amps themselves are usually mic'ed and mixed on their own inputs into the PA.  Is there a downside into putting the guitar mics in front of the player facing him in the null of the vocal mic? Does the open back amp cabinet create significant phase cancellation for the FOH?  

Scott Middleton

Re: guitar amps on stage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »

It often helps to aim the gtr amps across the stage, instead of facing forward.  Tilting the cabs back at an angle helps as well.

Patrick Campbell

• http://www.jurysout.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »

Side wash is good _ I usually ask guys to do that.

One band that I work with all the time and have 'em on IEM's, if the guitar player wants his old Fender real loud,I turn it around and place a foam-lined rack cover in front grill and place a cloud nine cover over the back if it is open back -  then he can let it rip and it acts as an ISO cabinet - I have done this bands that are on my wedges too, and although the guitarist was not real excited about the stage mix, the FOH was excellent and all his crowd let him know how good they sounded awesome.

I, myself, play an old Marshall half stack and do the turn around thing and foam lined case - keep my guitar in my IEM's and I am all good no matter where I go -

My .02

Soupy219
Patrick Campbell
Patrick@jurysout.com
Feel free to visit me at my band page:
www.jurysout.com

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.
New Member of QRX Mafia Central,IL

Loren Aguey

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »

Doyle Smith wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 08:06

When our guitar amps are onstage (and our stages are small little "bar" stages) directly behind the vocal mics and are usually turned up LOUD, there is a lot of bleed into the vocal mics.  The amps themselves are usually mic'ed and mixed on their own inputs into the PA.  Is there a downside into putting the guitar mics in front of the player facing him in the null of the vocal mic? Does the open back amp cabinet create significant phase cancellation for the FOH?  

For starters if you're playing small stages you can turn the amps down.

Barring that side washing the amps so they're shooting across the stage and not towards the vocal mics is also very helpful. Some bands also turn their amps around so they're shooting against the back wall. I'm always a big fan of this.

Usually after that they will need guitar in the monitors which is fine.

I'm not sure whether any phase cancellation that would occur from the open back of the amp facing FOH would be significant enough to be noticeable. When I've had bands turn cabs toward the wall they were usually closed back.

Perhaps someone else could chime in on that.

I like my snare sound like I like my women...fat and punchy.

Art Welter

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:11:50 PM »

Doyle Smith wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 09:06

Phase cancellation will occur in any miced cabinet/PA combination, and will vary with every position in the house. The closer the two are in level, the greater the problem.

If you find phase cancellation a problem with the guitar cabinet located in front pointed back, you can put the microphone on the back of the speaker, or use a polarity flip cord, or switch if the board has one.

The downside of guitar amps placed like floor monitors is the same as floor monitors, the extra reflective path length (bouncing off the upstage wall and ceiling) of the output is delayed in relation to the mains output, causing phase and reverberant "mud".

jeff harrell

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »

it would seem you would get some cancelation but i would try it.

Loren Aguey

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »

jeff harrell wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 14:59

i never let a guy with a peavy in the band ! Shocked shocking !!!

Peavey is good enough for Eddie Van Halen but not good enough for the drummer??  Rolling Eyes
I like my snare sound like I like my women...fat and punchy.

jeff harrell

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:56:08 PM »

that was going to be a joke but i edited it out but not fast enough ! i'm from jackson,ms. and knew a couple if guys that worekd at peavy back in the late 70's and they love their fender twins and hated peavy and well thats why i edited my post i didnt think i could word it tp be read as a joke. BUT i just might let a peavy in the band. But i would never let another drummer set in if he plays zlidjain cymbals! Shocked peavy bought Crest amps about 10 years ago and crest is a good amp but i ONLY use Colgate with cavity protection !

Tim Padrick

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 01:25:22 AM »

Putting open back amps in front of the players is fine, so long as you don't mind that the folks in the front rows can't hear anything but guitar.

Frederik Rosenkjær

• http://www.blackburst.dk
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »

Tim Padrick wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 06:25

Putting open back amps in front of the players is fine, so long as you don't mind that the folks in the front rows can't hear anything but guitar.

I guess the optimal placement would be flying the guitarcab from the front truss aimed down at guitarist Smile
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.