ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MixWiz Repair question  (Read 6604 times)

Árni F. Sigurðsson

MixWiz Repair question
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »

Got an old MixWiz 16:2 DX (the one with FX) that has some problems.

Few of the channels have missing low-end on main outputs.

I was testing it today, running a song trough each channel, on a few it sounded really weak, like it had no low end (all gains were the same, EQ, pads and everything the same), i tried messing with the EQ and could hear it made a difference.

I then tried using Aux 1 of the same tracks, and it sounded just fine trough the Aux.
On one channel it popped back into normal when i was messing with the EQ, but the others keept sounding strange.

I can record a sample tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Pulled the back off and took a quick look at it before I went home today, and didn't see anything obviously wrong, ribbon cables seemed OK.

Anyone here know the problem and got any ideas ?

Dick Rees

Re: MixWiz Repair question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »

Dirty pots???

Did you try repetitive rotation of the EQ pots?  Sometimes just twisting them back and forth for a while will get rid of enough oxidation to let the full signal pass through.

Lykke till.....
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Árni F. Sigurðsson

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »

Yes i did to some extent.

I was receiving full signal through Aux 1, which is post EQ (pre fader) and the EQ was functioning normally when listening trough Aux 1

Dick Rees

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »

How were you connecting the signal source to the console?  When you say it is an "old console" the first thing that comes to mind is oxidation on contact surfaces.  If not in the pots, then perhaps at the inputs?  
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »

If Aux 1 is post EQ and pre fader than input might not be the problem but the insert jack at the main output might have oxidation or the faders.  

Geoff Doane

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »

Jerome Malsack wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 21:40

If Aux 1 is post EQ and pre fader than input might not be the problem but the insert jack at the main output might have oxidation or the faders.  

Except that the problem only shows up on certain channels.  A problem in the master section would affect them all.  

A quick look at the flow diagram points to the problem being in the channel fader area. (Last page)

http://www.allen-heath.com/veterans/docs/WZ16%20WZ12%20Mk2%2 0DX%20User%20Guide.pdf

I'd be surprised if this console is old enough to have dried up coupling capacitors, but that might be a problem if it was powered up continuously and in a warm environment.

These consoles are known to have problems with the faders (the ground wire makes poor contact, and the fader won't go to "off"), and maybe this is something similar since the fault seems to be intermittent on at least one channel.  I've never heard of an intermittent dried up capacitor.

GTD

Rich Grisier

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:59:36 AM »

How bout the HPF/Low cut switches?  Any of those bad?  Hadn't been mentioned so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Carey Davies

• http://www.allen-heath.com
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 03:15:21 AM »

Árni F. Sigurðsson

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 03:22:35 AM »

i will check some of those things you mentioned and report back later today.

About how i was connecting the signal

From interface output -> XLR cable into input, I also had a TRS Adapter so i could try the Line input. The interface output was at unity gain and set to +4

Then I had an XLR from the Left Main out into my interface, and direct monitoring from there and a TRS from Aux out 1 into another channel of my interface.

Rick: I tried engaging the low cut, i noticed a bit of difference in sound, sounded even thinner.

Carey: no I didn't, I will today. The metering when PFL-ing the channels seemed normal tough.

Will record samples and upload later today.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 01:41:41 AM »

Take the bottom off.

Unplug and replug all of the ribbon connectors 3 or 4 times.

See if that fixed it.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up