ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a question in regards to registering on the New Forum.  (Read 7230 times)

Elliot Thompson

I have a question in regards to registering on the New Forum.
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »

Hi.

I haven’t visited here in quite some time. I noticed there is a new forum arriving shortly in which I registered. It appears you need to be approved by some type of authorisation before participating.

My question is how long is the grace period before I receive another email?

I have a lot of patience however, I am notorious of registering to a forum and forget to check back within a certain time period to activate the account.

Best Regards,

Elliot

Tim Tyler

Re: I have a question in regards to registering on the New Forum.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »

Think 2-3 days.  Took me 3 days, 7 hrs, but I'm old.

-Tim T

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:55:04 PM »

Thank you Tim!

Enjoy the rest your Weekend.

Best Regards,
Elliot

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »

Elliot Thompson wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 15:10

Hi.
I haven’t visited here in quite some time. I noticed there is a new forum arriving shortly in which I registered. It appears you need to be approved by some type of authorisation before participating.

I have a lot of patience however, I am notorious of registering to a forum and forget to check back within a certain time period to activate the account.

it takes till a moderator or administrator checks for registrations awaiting authorization. I try to check a couple of times a day. Over the weekend I was locked out due to a broken skin that I was the only one using.

Mac

David Elsbury

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:08:39 AM »

Hi all.
Is this going to be the permanent behaviour for new user registrations for the new forum? If so, how do you anticipate the system working for new users who want to sign up and post an urgent question "right now" but must wait, and in waiting may well leave the forum and not return?

Another forum that I frequent had this discussion (because it avoids lots of spammers signing up and abusing the forums) but decided against the system that PSW seem to have decided on because of the reason I have suggested above.

Just for interest's sake Smile

Cheers
David

Doug Fowler

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »

David -

Good points, thank you.

If a method for reliably validating registrations automatically is possible, then we should look at it.

I will pass this on.

"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:49:53 PM »

David Elsbury wrote on Sun, 16 January 2011 02:08

Hi all.
Is this going to be the permanent behaviour for new user registrations for the new forum? If so, how do you anticipate the system working for new users who want to sign up and post an urgent question "right now" but must wait, and in waiting may well leave the forum and not return?

Another forum that I frequent had this discussion (because it avoids lots of spammers signing up and abusing the forums) but decided against the system that PSW seem to have decided on because of the reason I have suggested above.

Just for interest's sake Smile

Cheers
David

I don't see a wait of less than 24hrs as an issue. I check the list of registrations waiting for approval a couple of times a day. There are others also checking that list. Some of those others get an email every time there is a new registrations (hundreds/day). I have turned off the email notification because I check a couple of times a day anyway.

If there is someone out there who has to "post right now" or go elsewhere, perhaps we won't get them back. If a user's interest is that fleeting, it really won't be much of a loss.

The short wait for approval is so that a real person can make an initial decision about the validity of the registration. A very small number get refused, but there are some who do get refused. In addition we have the "Captcha" sign in for the first 2 posts by a new registration. Between these 2 methods we hope to keep these forums free from spambots and malicious attacks. I think it is a very minor inconvenience that after the first 2 posts will be invisible.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »

I'm with Mac & Doug.  If this is a deal-breaker, they aren't here for the community, they need manufacturer support or a Wiki of some kind.  The forums are neither.

Anyone with a "need it now" problem would be wise to look at all possible resources, not just here/there.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 22:18

Elliot Thompson wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 15:10

Hi.

it takes till a moderator or administrator checks for registrations awaiting authorization. I try to check a couple of times a day. Over the weekend I was locked out due to a broken skin that I was the only one using.

Mac

Thank you Mac.

I am now officially a member on the new forum.

Best Regards,

Elliot

Jason Dermer

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 07:34:12 PM »

Waiting 3 or 4 days now myself...
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.