ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro rack house / LS9  (Read 17656 times)

danfowler

Re: Pro rack house / LS9
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »

Mitch is correct. Better speakers will show the diff quick.
Fat sounding pre's=magic.

Given a GOOD, revealing FOH speaker system, the APB will sound great. I frequently use my H1020 with QSC 181 subs pole'ing up some KV2 audio EX-12's and it just sounds great. Actually sounds amazing. Beautiful detail in those boxes.

I've put some PS.15's on those subs and thought the EX.12's sounded better.
Those PS.15's ain't no slouch.
Sometimes I'll throw some Mackie 1232's up there for more "oomph and throw" if the crowd is thick (500 plus) and the act needs that .

The APB really shines with some good outboard thru a D&B rig......................

"I am as well" not a small console Yamaha fan. Too brittle sounding. No solid lo-mid punch. Kinda hard to get around in an LS-9 in "combat audio" situations.

I Luv Midas.
There. I said it.

I am presently addicted to a Presonus 24.4.2 and a MacBook Pro/iPad. I'm not selling my 1020 just yet nor my Midas 320. For shows in a ballroom (where running a snake to FOH sux) or they have me mixing under a theatre balcony (where
I can hear...........you guessed it, nothing)  I reach for the StudioLive.

I get some funny comments from the gallery like, "you got the internet on that thing" or "let me check my email" but the show results are quite stunningly good.
The mix is dead-on.

Now, it's not as easy as all that, easier said than done alright. The console channel has to be set up correctly and the speakers have to be tweeked out, but that's why I'm not going anywhere any time soon.

I'm too old and have been doing this way-too-long to be room compromised anymore with this new technology. I don't know how many corporate clients have come up to me and said it's never sounded better.

I just have an iPad in one hand and a CD remote in the other..........

What speaker system are you using and what do you guys play?

Later,
Dan 0;)

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »

danfowler wrote on Wed, 16 February 2011 19:38

What speaker system are you using and what do you guys play?

For me it's often either Meyer or KV2 speakers, sometimes Danley.  And yes, I like the LS9.  No sound quality complaints.

Steve Hurt

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »

You mix yourself from the stage don't you?  
If so, I'd go with the LS-9.
Sends on faders alone is enough for the decision.
The EQ (channel, monitor and FOH) takes the ball and knocks it out of the park.

The APB may be better sounding, but it's not the difference between a 1960's Tapco and a 2011 large format Midas, it's the difference between 2 good modern boards and 98% or more of the people in your audience will not be able to hear a sonic difference between the boards.

However, people will hear the difference made when you are able to notch something offensive out with the LS9's more flexible EQ, or notice that the band is really kicking, because the band is really happy with their monitor mixes that you keep updated quickly with sends on faders while you're playing.

If you've got someone mixing from FOH who can focus on the details and is out where his ears can actually hear what is happening, a slightly better sounding board might shine through.

I'd still pick the LS-9 personally.  I've been spoiled with what it can do and don't want to go backwards in functionality.

Bob Leonard

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:42 PM »

I've been attempting to stay with the new forum so I haven't kept up here. I was able to get my hands on an APB a week ago. I was honestly impressed with the overall natural sound from the board. Not that the sound is colored in some way, but the sound seemed much more full. I heard things from my SRX I've not heard before. Plus one for the APB, at least for now.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.