Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VNC?  (Read 3647 times)

Craig Hauber

• http://www.csaproductionsinc.com
VNC?
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:58:59 AM »

Anyone here know how to optimize a machine for VNC?  Running an entire large club here by iPad (sound, video switch, lighting and mechanicals (curtains, screens aerialist motors etc..)

I have a really solid network with all machines wired to a common 16-port switch.  Some have really bad lag and refresh issues while others run really snappy.  How does one optimize a bunch of XP boxes for the best VNC response?  I've reduced resolutions and color depth.  Everything is wired cat-6 but the hardware is all 10/100.  I've assigned static IP's and locked out all but my iPhone/iPad on the wireless (I have a cisco WAP mounted centrally so really good signal everywhere and I've used the scanner function in it to find a wide open channel.  I don't think wireless is the issue because a hardwired machine running the VNC viewer exhibits the same problem.

Is this a motherboard/processor thing?  Does graphics card and memory effect it?

Just wondering as this is uncharted territory for me

And do we have to re-register for the new forum?  I tried but it needs moderator approval but doubt anyone is up right now

Thanks
Craig Hauber
CSA Productions Inc.
Ventura-Santa Barbara CA
www.csaproductionsinc.com

Tim McCulloch

Re: VNC?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:36:08 AM »

I wish I had an answer for you, Craig, but I don't use VNC except for some remote log-in things.

The latency is typically caused by the encryption/decryption overhead.  I suppose some devices/software clients allocate more resources than others to this task.

I'll be lurking, though, to see what the real deal is.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Tom Reid

Re: VNC?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 12:49:07 PM »

RDP runs over 3389, and comes with XP pro.
The mac version can be found here.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client

I don't know if there's an Ipad version, but RDP is a little quicker then VNC.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 16 queries.