ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing the compression drivers in the JBL MRX525 cabs  (Read 31699 times)

Art Welter

Re: Changing the compression drivers in the JBL MRX525 cabs
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:22:05 am »

Richard Stringer wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 08:51

I checked out the Eminence psd2002 and it's not a screw on fitting, it's a bolt fitting so it won't go into the MRX525 horn flare.

The JBL crossover is designed around the driver used.
Even though there are better thread on HF drivers available, it is doubtful you will find one that will sound right just doing a swap.

Richard Stringer

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 01:17:33 pm »

Any ideas  what my friend could do then? Replacing the diaphrams and then selling the MRX525 cabs wouldn't be an option becausse in the uk you really can't get the same price as toy can in the usa so it'd work out to be quite a loss. Is there such thing as a flange to screw adapter for the compression driver? If there is then I could probably fit a JBL 2426H compression driver.

Richard Stringer

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 06:21:28 pm »

I've been looking for a flange to screw adapter for the compression driver so that a bolt on compression driver would be able to be used in the MRX525 cabs. Would an adpter like this work guys?

http://www.terralec.co.uk/various_speaker_parts_/flange_driv er_adaptor/16652_p.html

Rik Turner

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 06:48:19 pm »

psd2002s denotes 1 3/8 thread on instead of bolt on

If they are too bright add some resistance to the circut either ceramic resistor or 8ohm Lpad (50 watt will be heavy enough)

I always likes the eminence (also used in all club series Yamaha) more than the Peavey

+1 to Paul

keep the originals in a box somewhere,might be worth more to future owner than you at the moment.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 06:53:08 pm »

Richard Stringer wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 13:17

Any ideas  what my friend could do then? Replacing the diaphrams and then selling the MRX525 cabs wouldn't be an option becausse in the uk you really can't get the same price as toy can in the usa so it'd work out to be quite a loss. Is there such thing as a flange to screw adapter for the compression driver? If there is then I could probably fit a JBL 2426H compression driver.

Just to add to what Art said, the reason that you just can't throw in any ol driver is that the freq response of the drivers would likely be different and the impedance would be different.

So any designs that were based on a particular response and impedance will now be wrong.  And the new driver might "blow" even quicker-even though it may be more powerful.

Also the coverage pattern could be very different when you just "throw" a different driver.  I have first hand experience in playing around with different drivers (same manufacturer) on horns and have VERY different effective patterns.

So the real answer is that you could really screw up the performance of the cabinet by replacing the driver.

Now this is not to say that you may not get lucky, but the odds are against it.

Many people forget that there are actual DESIGNING that goes into products (yes some more than others) but manufacturers don't just throw pieces into a box and call it a product.

Yet those people "think" they can do better (without any knowledge of how it works or what is involved) than the people who designed the product.

Yes he may end up something that does not "blow", but is it any better? Rolling Eyes   Sometimes other performance parameters are more important than just "loud". Surprised
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Richard Stringer

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 07:06:47 am »

What do you think my mate should do then Ivan? Would be a better idea to get a JBL 2426 instead :

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/caml/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=equi pment:jbl2426.pdf

Hopefully because it's made by JBL it'd be better.

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 08:31:22 am »

How about getting some 2 inch exit horns and putting them in there own box and stack them on top.  I use the 1.4 exit horn in the cabinet for in door shows, out side i use the 2'' and not the 1.4.
 The 1.4s will work, i just like the 2's outside.

index.php/fa/34753/0/

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 08:44:10 am »

Richard Stringer wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 07:06

What do you think my mate should do then Ivan? Would be a better idea to get a JBL 2426 instead :

I think he should replace the driver with the correct one, and TURN IT DOWN!

Or buy a new system or just keep spending more money on replacements.

It is NOT a matter of what is a better HF driver-but what is better in the exisiting cabinet.

Now if he wants to replace the current driver with a better one-and then pay somebody WHO IS KNOWLEDGABLE to redesign the crossover so the new driver will work with exisitng horn and woofer then that would be an option.

But chances are-he will spend more on that redesign than new cabinets would cost-if done correctly.  If done "halfway", then you will get "halfway" performance and that may be good enough for your friend.

There are limits to what any system can do-and he is wanting too much out of his system-so he needs a different system.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 08:49:22 am »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 08:44

It is NOT a matter of what is a better HF driver-but what is better in the exisiting cabinet.

Now if he wants to replace the current driver with a better one-and then pay somebody WHO IS KNOWLEDGABLE to redesign the crossover so the new driver will work with exisitng horn and woofer then that would be an option.

But chances are-he will spend more on that redesign than new cabinets would cost-if done correctly.  If done "halfway", then you will get "halfway" performance and that may be good enough for your friend.

There are limits to what any system can do-and he is wanting too much out of his system-so he needs a different system.

Instead of redesigning crossover, go stereo 3 way?

Richard Stringer

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 09:59:54 am »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 07:44

I like the way you say "buy a new system" like everyone can afford it, I know for a fact he can't afford to buy a new system so that's not even an option. You say turn it down, but thye fact is, the problem isn't that the MRX525 cabs aren't loud enough, the problem is the little 25 watt compression driver outputting enough high frequency to keep up with the dual 15" drivers in the MRX525 and also the 4 18" drivers in his subs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 17 queries.