ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to judge the amount of blacklighting needed?  (Read 3463 times)

David R Allred

How to judge the amount of blacklighting needed?
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »

I have an event coming up that the client has requested a "rave" dance party as part of a weekend convention. This is a annual gig for me and they always have dances, but they want a change-up this time around.
250-350 high school age kids.  The room has not been determined yet, but the smallest probable room will be 41'x82'x16'.  It could be 2x that space.  They want to get by on the cheap, so bang for the buck it important.  This should not be considered an investment.  My initial thought is to use 24" or 48" tubes, but other ideas are welcome (incandescent?, CFL?).

Main question is how many "feet" of tube will I need in the given room (small) to work for their needs.  I have several 8' stands with lighting bars.  Best to set in each corner?, 2 corners OK?, ect?

Thanks,
David

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
Re: How to judge the amount of blacklighting needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:50:39 PM »

the amount necessary for coverage is determined by a lot of things;

room size
where you need lights
type of light (throw distance, beam angle, candlepower/lumens)
how bright you want it
trim height

it's really hard to determine all these factors without actually seeing the room that you're trying to light up
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

David R Allred

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »

Floor space that will be covered would be about 60'x30' max.  The height of the lamps would be about 8'.  Need enough "light" to illuminate whatever accessories / clothing people have on from an average distance of maybe 10'.  I was hoping someone had been in a club and could guestimate the number of lamps installed in that given room size.

David

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »

Are you looking to buy or rent?  I have had good luck with Wildfire blacklights.  These are top of the line units and a pair worked for me to light an entire basketball court.  Also look at UV canons from Elation and American DJ.  I have heard good things about them.  Originally I was planning on buying a pair but decided that for once a year's use I'd be better off renting the Wildfires.

David R Allred

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »

No local rentals available, but what is a typical fee?  I believe buying is the way to go, if it can be done cheaply enough.

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »

David R Allred wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 19:05

Floor space that will be covered would be about 60'x30' max.  The height of the lamps would be about 8'.  Need enough "light" to illuminate whatever accessories / clothing people have on from an average distance of maybe 10'.  I was hoping someone had been in a club and could guestimate the number of lamps installed in that given room size.

David

Eight feet isn't high enough. For Blacklight to be effective, it needs to wash more than just the heads, and from 8', that's all you're going to get in a crowd of kids. You need a sharp down angle with a couple good blacklights. Elation UV Washes are nice (I have some) and Altman UV-703s are fantastic.

I recommend a light in each corner as high as you can get them.

David R Allred

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:18:03 PM »

Thanks Silas,

I can get them to 10' probably, maybe a little higher.  

Chances are, I'll go with 48" tubes.  Does UV reflect?  In other words, will there be a benefit if I use fixtures that have white metal reflectors behind the bulb(s)?  Would lining the reflector with aluminum foil be even better?

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.