ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate of the Forums?  (Read 12537 times)

Christian Tepfer

Re: Fate of the Forums?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »

Rob Timmerman wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 05:49

Rob Timmerman wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 21:48

Does anybody know exactly what the fate of these forums will be?  Are they being taken offline without any notice to those of us who have bookmarks that bypass the main PSW page?  What about new visitors who find this place via a direct link on a search engine (the direct link to these forums has a lower rank than the new forums, but is still within the top 6 on all the search engines I tried)?

When the forums get shut down, will they simply disappear?  Or will they be locked with instructions to post new material on the new forums?  Will the data (at least the current discussions and a "best of" selection) be migrated to the new forums?

Transition between platforms is rarely seamless, but in this case it seems like there has been a fair amount of FUD spread about the transition.  I'm assuming that there is a transition plan, and a solid reason for the transition, but I've seen neither so far.  Would somebody in the know mind sharing this information so we have the full story?  It might cut down on the amount of FUD being shoveled around...

And for those of you who think that entire forum archive should be transitioned, what portion of the archives do you think has really good content?  When was the last time you looked through the archives?  And what about the last 2 times these forums transitioned?  That content is pretty much gone - how many of us miss it?  

And since the forum owners didn't post this over on this side, here's some of the answers to the questions I posed:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,229.0.html

I can understand most of the content in this statement but not the time and place.

A post like this, earlier, over here would have explained some things.

And - to look forward - why not do it now, sticky, in every subforum here, to clarify things?

Dick Rees

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 22:37

I subscribe to the water bucket theory. Should you belong to a group of people, an organization, or are employed at any level, you should consider yourself as being the same as a finger stuck in a bucket of water. You can pull out your finger and there may be a few drips, but you won't leave a hole.

index.php/fa/34755/0/

Unless you're the Dutch boy at the dike....... Very Happy
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Doug Fowler

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 12:22:21 PM »

Christian -

Yes, that is being done today.

Thanks for the input.

The mods are caught in a vortex between two worlds and it's easy to forget many people are still in the dark.  We will fix that.

Thanks again....

edit: locked thread
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Done
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »

Doug Fowler wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 12:22

Christian -

Thanks for the input.

As you can see, done.

Unfortunately the announcement manager doesn't recognize carriage returns. I guess they expected announcements to be a sentence or two at most. It also doesn't recognize embedded urls, so no real link. Oh well...

Mac

Rob Timmerman

Re: Done
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 14:17

Christian -

Thanks for the input.

As you can see, done.

Unfortunately the announcement manager doesn't recognize carriage returns. I guess they expected announcements to be a sentence or two at most. It also doesn't recognize embedded urls, so no real link. Oh well...

Mac

Is it possible that the announcement manager is using HTML formatting, which ignores whitespace characters?  If that's the case, things like <br> should work.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Done
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »

Rob Timmerman wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 16:12

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 14:17

Christian -

Thanks for the input.

As you can see, done.

Mac

Is it possible that the announcement manager is using HTML formatting, which ignores whitespace characters?  If that's the case, things like <br> should work.

That may be true. Rob, can you PM me instructions on how to do that, I am not HTML smart. I would like to add carriage returns to break up lines, and make a clickable link to the new site.

Thanks

Mac

Dave Stevens

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 20:37

I personnaly am in favor of change and am more than appreciative of the efforts the PSW staff and moderators have put into this fine site over the years.

The organization that owns this site now has been disrespectful, arrogant and dismissive during this change over.  They've thrown the current mods under the bus and no one is management has the balls to come here and explain what was happening. Equating them to the previous owners and operators is an insult.  The previous owners and operators were sound people.  Much like the community.  The current owner know very little of our industry. It was poorly communicated and is being poorly implemented.  They don't understand the community and can not relate to what it means to be in this community.  It's not the owners or even the mods that make a site like this happen.  It's the participants and those the contribute the content.  

I've never been more embarrassed or disgusted about anything on the LAB in the 16 years since I started it as I have with the way EH has handled this.
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Bob Leonard

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 09:06:41 AM »

Dave Stevens wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 21:57

Bob Leonard wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 20:37

I personnaly am in favor of change and am more than appreciative of the efforts the PSW staff and moderators have put into this fine site over the years.

The organization that owns this site now has been disrespectful, arrogant and dismissive during this change over.  They've thrown the current mods under the bus and no one is management has the balls to come here and explain what was happening. Equating them to the previous owners and operators is an insult.  The previous owners and operators were sound people.  Much like the community.  The current owner know very little of our industry. It was poorly communicated and is being poorly implemented.  They don't understand the community and can not relate to what it means to be in this community.  It's not the owners or even the mods that make a site like this happen.  It's the participants and those the contribute the content.  

I've never been more embarrassed or disgusted about anything on the LAB in the 16 years since I started it as I have with the way EH has handled this.

Dave,
I fail to see how my statement can be in any way mistaken as an insult to previous owners or operators. My statement is as read, and simply put at that. I have no in-site to what happens behind the scenes and can only respond as I have to what effects me as an individual. I have received no PM's or other statement proving to me that anyone was "thrown under a bus" or shown disrespect. If by that statement you mean that you feel you should have been consulted, then that is your perception. However, if you don't hold the purse strings, why would you, I, or anyone else expect to be consulted. It's not our money, business decision or right to insist PSW do anything.

Much has been made of the change about to take place and most of what has been said sounds to me like school house sour grapes. Perhaps due to the perception that participation equates to ownership. Clearly that is not the case with this site or any other company.

Much like Leo Fender or Orville Gibson, this site, as were their companies, was sold. What happened after the sale of those companies was in no way reflective of their creativity, management style or in-site to the industry, just as what happens now is not a reflection on you or your efforts.

Disgruntled members have started their own site and with much to do about the collapse of PSW. I wish them well in their efforts. Personally I think that's pretty optimistic on their part considering the sheer number of sound professionals located throughout the world, most who will continue to visit or join this site.

Not having a vested interest in this or any other site I stand by my statement and can only suggest once again that if you stick your finger into a bucket of water and then pull it out, you won't leave a hole.

Having said all of this I'll state this will be my last post concerning this subject. It's grown old, the horse has been beaten to death, and it's time for those who feel the need to pull their fingers out of the bucket.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Dave Stevens

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »

Bob, the current owners didn't "build" anything.  They bought it and have done nothing to improve it or add to it in the meantime. In my opinion they disrespected the community by arbitrarily deciding at first to make the previous content unavailable.  Then threw the mods under the bus by implementing an incomplete plan and not sacking up enough to explain the decision.

I don't care if they consult me or not.  I chose of my own accord to step out years ago.  I did well on the initial sale and in the PSW days.  I'm not involved because I don't wish to be.  Been there, done that.  I wouldn't expect your email to tell you anything that happens on the inside.  Simply because you don't play at that level.  And you never have.  Not that it's a bad thing, but don't pretend to be in the mix because you aren't.
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Bob Leonard

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 07:05:17 AM »

Dave Stevens wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 00:14

Bob, the current owners didn't "build" anything.  They bought it and have done nothing to improve it or add to it in the meantime. In my opinion they disrespected the community by arbitrarily deciding at first to make the previous content unavailable.  Then threw the mods under the bus by implementing an incomplete plan and not sacking up enough to explain the decision.

I don't care if they consult me or not.  I chose of my own accord to step out years ago.  I did well on the initial sale and in the PSW days.  I'm not involved because I don't wish to be.  Been there, done that.  I wouldn't expect your email to tell you anything that happens on the inside.  Simply because you don't play at that level.  And you never have.  Not that it's a bad thing, but don't pretend to be in the mix because you aren't.

Not sure what "mix" you're talking about Dave but I don't pretend to be anything other than a person with absolutely no say in what happens to this site. I enjoy this site and many of the people who visit and post here. You on the other hand I have never appreciated or respected. You pretend to be self rightious, are condecending, and under the impression you are the second coming of christ. You make statements like the above yet piss and moan with every post you make on this site and others. You are far from being a god Dave. You're a person who put together a web site that worked, sold it and now feels your net worth, probably one tenth of mine, gives you the right to shit on everyone not catering to you. You proved that in your post on the other site. Get over it and grow up Dave. It's not your site, you have no say, take your ball and go home, but for christs sake will you at least stop whining until you get there.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.