ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate of the Forums?  (Read 12571 times)

Rob Timmerman

Fate of the Forums?
« on: January 10, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »

Does anybody know exactly what the fate of these forums will be?  Are they being taken offline without any notice to those of us who have bookmarks that bypass the main PSW page?  What about new visitors who find this place via a direct link on a search engine (the direct link to these forums has a lower rank than the new forums, but is still within the top 6 on all the search engines I tried)?

When the forums get shut down, will they simply disappear?  Or will they be locked with instructions to post new material on the new forums?  Will the data (at least the current discussions and a "best of" selection) be migrated to the new forums?

Transition between platforms is rarely seamless, but in this case it seems like there has been a fair amount of FUD spread about the transition.  I'm assuming that there is a transition plan, and a solid reason for the transition, but I've seen neither so far.  Would somebody in the know mind sharing this information so we have the full story?  It might cut down on the amount of FUD being shoveled around...

And for those of you who think that entire forum archive should be transitioned, what portion of the archives do you think has really good content?  When was the last time you looked through the archives?  And what about the last 2 times these forums transitioned?  That content is pretty much gone - how many of us miss it?  

Graham Wakefield

Re: Fate of the Forums?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »

A side thought, How much would it cost simply to rent a server, maybe a linnode? to just keep these archives? Who would I contact about this with questions as I think there is a LOT of good information here in all the different forums and have learned lots from them. I think that there are plenty of people who would be willing to chip a little in a year to pay for the LAB to stay online as an archive.

Just a thought
-Graham
Graham Wakefield
New England Production Services Group
graham.wakefield@nepsg.com
603-380-6585

Steve Blaski

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »

Rob,

I hope they're still available after the "switch"; even as read-only. I think there was a discussion about the fate of these forums but it was deleted or it's hiding and I can't find it now Confused

I've spent the majority of my time on PSW just lurking and reading more than I post. I've searched threads back all the way to 2004 and still found technical information that was still relevant.

If any of the higher powers read this: please keep the 7 years of great technical discussion (both on the LAB and LAB archives) afloat. The real-world experience of these seasoned professionals is fantastic reading and learning for young guys like me.

Thanks to the contributors who've helped me learn so much. Thanks for giving back.

-Steve

Dave Sturzenbecher

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »

I have always accessed the site through bookmarks. My PSW hasn't changes in years.  All of a sudden I see people complaining and I don't know what about.

Bob Leonard

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »

There really isn't anything to complain about. PSW isn't going away and neither are the years of collected data. The data will be archived and moved to the new site currently running in parallel with this site.

What you'll see is a newer look and feel that not everyone is in love with, but one which has many small and overlooked creature features that the software currently supporting PSW does not have. You will also see a few features disappear that you may or may not have used. The new site will also be faster.

The cutover to the new site is being advertized as February, and I would imagine that if you are using a bookmark or shortcut you will be redirected to the proper site. From that point it will be quite easy to update or create new bookmarks.

I personnaly am in favor of change and am more than appreciative of the efforts the PSW staff and moderators have put into this fine site over the years.

Please keep in mind that suggestions have been solicited and the community has been listened to with every attempt to make changes as needed and if possible. Then please also keep in mind that PSW is and has been a free source of information to us all, and that a high number of posts does not imply ownership or dictorial rights to the site.

I subscribe to the water bucket theory. Should you belong to a group of people, an organization, or are employed at any level, you should consider yourself as being the same as a finger stuck in a bucket of water. You can pull out your finger and there may be a few drips, but you won't leave a hole.

Thank you PSW and moderators for the fine job you are doing now and will contnue to do in the future.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Mike Dixon

• http://www.dbaudiovideo.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »

Well put, Bob.
Mike Dixon
DB Productions
www.dbaudiovideo.com

Dave Slater

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 04:37

There really isn't anything to complain about. PSW isn't going away and neither are the years of collected data. The data will be archived and moved to the new site currently running in parallel with this site.

What you'll see is a newer look and feel that not everyone is in love with, but one which has many small and overlooked creature features that the software currently supporting PSW does not have. You will also see a few features disappear that you may or may not have used. The new site will also be faster.

The cutover to the new site is being advertized as February, and I would imagine that if you are using a bookmark or shortcut you will be redirected to the proper site. From that point it will be quite easy to update or create new bookmarks.

I personnaly am in favor of change and am more than appreciative of the efforts the PSW staff and moderators have put into this fine site over the years.

Please keep in mind that suggestions have been solicited and the community has been listened to with every attempt to make changes as needed and if possible. Then please also keep in mind that PSW is and has been a free source of information to us all, and that a high number of posts does not imply ownership or dictorial rights to the site.

I subscribe to the water bucket theory. Should you belong to a group of people, an organization, or are employed at any level, you should consider yourself as being the same as a finger stuck in a bucket of water. You can pull out your finger and there may be a few drips, but you won't leave a hole.

Thank you PSW and moderators for the fine job you are doing now and will contnue to do in the future.

+1

Adapt, Mutate, Survive

Point No.1: It's still free isn't it?

If something is free you have no right to complain about its delivery because somebody other than you is picking up the bill

Before I alienate myself from the entire board (although being on this side of the pond can sometimes feel like that anyway Rolling Eyes) I do think it would be a crying shame for the archive of this and the previous incarnation of the board to disappear through some shortsighted decision by an accountant

It's that sort of penny pinching that has got this world in the mess we have today (but that comment is straying into the world of politics and we can't have that either can we?)

Still having said that the board itself isn't going and whilst you'd have to adjust to flat view (which is what I use anyway and it isn't too much of a problem for me to wrap my head around) it's still the best place around for conversing with people of great intellect and wisdom

Which puzzles me as to why you'd all like to cut your nose off to spite your face and leave here?

Lighten up people! Life is far too fucking short!!!!

Chris Davis

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »

Dave Slater wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 18:03

Bob Leonard wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 04:37

+1

Adapt, Mutate, Survive

Point No.1: It's still free isn't it?

If something is free you have no right to complain about its delivery because somebody other than you is picking up the bill

Before I alienate myself from the entire board (although being on this side of the pond can sometimes feel like that anyway Rolling Eyes) I do think it would be a crying shame for the archive of this and the previous incarnation of the board to disappear through some shortsighted decision by an accountant

It's that sort of penny pinching that has got this world in the mess we have today (but that comment is straying into the world of politics and we can't have that either can we?)

Still having said that the board itself isn't going and whilst you'd have to adjust to flat view (which is what I use anyway and it isn't too much of a problem for me to wrap my head around) it's still the best place around for conversing with people of great intellect and wisdom

Which puzzles me as to why you'd all like to cut your nose off to spite your face and leave here?

Lighten up people! Life is far too fucking short!!!!

+1  I went through some very serious personal issues this year but came out ahead.  I may not be so lucky if there is a next time.  Life is indeed short. Wink

Dave Slater

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »

Chris Davis wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 23:11

+1  I went through some very serious personal issues this year but came out ahead.  I may not be so lucky if there is a next time.  Life is indeed short. Wink

It's not my place to enquire as to what but it's good to hear you're out the otherside

I'm 10yrs out of my own personal hell

I'm still processing the deeper learning from it but I can vouch from personal experience it does get a lot easier with time

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »

Rob Timmerman wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 21:48

Does anybody know exactly what the fate of these forums will be?  Are they being taken offline without any notice to those of us who have bookmarks that bypass the main PSW page?  What about new visitors who find this place via a direct link on a search engine (the direct link to these forums has a lower rank than the new forums, but is still within the top 6 on all the search engines I tried)?

When the forums get shut down, will they simply disappear?  Or will they be locked with instructions to post new material on the new forums?  Will the data (at least the current discussions and a "best of" selection) be migrated to the new forums?

Transition between platforms is rarely seamless, but in this case it seems like there has been a fair amount of FUD spread about the transition.  I'm assuming that there is a transition plan, and a solid reason for the transition, but I've seen neither so far.  Would somebody in the know mind sharing this information so we have the full story?  It might cut down on the amount of FUD being shoveled around...

And for those of you who think that entire forum archive should be transitioned, what portion of the archives do you think has really good content?  When was the last time you looked through the archives?  And what about the last 2 times these forums transitioned?  That content is pretty much gone - how many of us miss it?  

And since the forum owners didn't post this over on this side, here's some of the answers to the questions I posed:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,229.0.html
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.