Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer FUD Forum Archive

danley subs to danley tops time alignment/phase align

(1/7) > >>

leon garrity:
Hello,

i have not beeen on for a while,can anyone shed light on time aligning or phase aligning the subs to the tops......

Which way do i time align the system so i dont have phasing problems ,which i think i have at the minute.....

do i ,

delay the tops to the subs??????????
or the subs to the tops?????????

also what problems do i encounter when i place one sub at either side of the stage??????

the power alley effect,would it be better to stack them all at one point....a centre stack or a right stack?

Leon

leon garrity:
The Danley is a horn loaded sub so if the horn is say 14 foot do i add a 14ft delay to the tops?

Leon

leon garrity:
Also,

which is the best way to go.reverse polarity the subs,different people different views,well it depends on this depends on that,do you or dont you??????????

i read on here that the subs need to be reversed polaritied because of the magnet in TH115?????????

No point in buying a Ferrari then it runs like a scrapped car,

I ran the SM60 on a yamaha home cinema amp and it was awsome 60 watts.
In my live situation i put a FP3400 and it seems i have to thronk the living daylights out of it just to get it up there,also people who have watched us say it sounds muffled?????????

So if i am correct if the tops are not in phase with the subs then i get rhubarb sound or in simple terms a pile of bad sounding crap.

Leon

Ivan Beaver:
leon garrity wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 08:12
Hello,

i have not beeen on for a while,can anyone shed light on time aligning or phase aligning the subs to the tops......

Which way do i time align the system so i dont have phasing problems ,which i think i have at the minute.....

do i ,

delay the tops to the subs??????????
or the subs to the tops?????????

also what problems do i encounter when i place one sub at either side of the stage??????

the power alley effect,would it be better to stack them all at one point....a centre stack or a right stack?

Leon

The only "phasing problems" you would have would be around the crossover point.

What you align to what-depends on the physical position of the cabients to each other and the particular place you want to align them to.  Every other place will be different.

Whether you place them together or seperate depends on a lot of different variables.  One solution does not fit all-despite what some people think.  Each situation has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages.  Sometimes what is an advantgage in one situation is a disadvantage in another.

Each setup/room has to be evaluated on its own.

In most cases however (there are exceptions) I would not recommend putting all the subs on one side.  Although I have done it myself and it worked great-FOR that particular situation.

Ivan Beaver:
leon garrity wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 08:13
The Danley is a horn loaded sub so if the horn is say 14 foot do i add a 14ft delay to the tops?

Leon

The length of the horn is not what is important.  But rather the phase of the differences in the signals.

As a general rule-the "delay" time for a tapped horn is somewhere between the physical length of the horn and the loudspeaker driver exit to the horn.

How much depends on what freq you are talking about-the phase.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version