Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting FUD Forum Archive

Clarification of terms

(1/3) > >>

Jason Lavoie:
the spec calls for "wireless conference system complete with 9 delegates, 1 chairman"

winning bidder wants to put in 10 SLX tabletop wireless mics

not to mention that the room already has 6 channels of SLX, but I would figure that the words conference, delegate, and chairman would have locked it into a proper conference system with chairman features.

what do you think?

Jason

Mac Kerr:
Jason Lavoie wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 14:10
the spec calls for "wireless conference system complete with 9 delegates, 1 chairman"

not to mention that the room already has 6 channels of SLX, but I would figure that the words conference, delegate, and chairman would have locked it into a proper conference system with chairman features.

what do you think?

Jason

I think 10 SLX wireless do not a 9 delegate 1 chairman conference system make.

Mac

Dick Rees:
Mac Kerr wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 20:13

what do you think?

Jason

I think 10 SLX wireless do not a 9 delegate 1 chairman conference system make.

Mac

Agreed.  Sort of like saying "music is just a bunch of notes" without putting the notes in order and implementing harmonic structure.  Now this

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=7 &subID=5&prodID=2832

is a conferencing system.

Ivan Beaver:

what do you think?

Jason

If the spec is that poorly written, then as long as you adhear to the spec, you have fulfilled your part.

Now if there is some other part of the spec that defines performance, you need to follow that.

I see specs all the time that really don't give any real guidance.

I really wonder who writes this stuff.

I was recently talking to a guy who was "tasked" to spec out a subwoofer system.  He did not understand what sensitivity, SPL, freq response, wattage etc meant and the relationships between them.  Yet it was his "job".  We will see what the customer ends up with.

Brad Weber:
Although it is unfortunate, I have to agree with Ivan.  In a competitive bid situation it is too often not what is a logical or best interpretation but rather what interpretation can someone argue might be made.  You can probably also bet that the person who bid the ULX solution was not going to ask for clarification if they thought their interpretation gave them some advantage.

On another forum today someone noted that they were putting together a bid for a church where the spec was to provide a "white Line Array".  Apparently nothing more than that describing the speaker system.  My audio and AV bid sets are routinely 20 to 25 drawings and 30 to 60 pages of specs, no wonder I get underbid on some projects.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version