ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speech / voice for system tuning?  (Read 9040 times)

Eytan Gidron

speech / voice for system tuning?
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:23:08 AM »

Hi,

I am tuning a theater system next week. I would like to tune the center and front fill speakers so that they will have good voice intelligibility and I would like to use a recorded voice for this. I can record myself counting or reading a book. I am wandering whether there is some standard recording that many people use for this type of job (like everyone used the Donald Fagen Nightfly to tune music systems)?
Eytan Gidron
BETTY BAM

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
Re: speech / voice for system tuning?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »

If you're a member of SynAudCon, you can use the recording of John Royer.  I use that one a good bit to check for (practical) intelligibility.
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »

Eytan Gidron wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 09:23

Hi,

I am tuning a theater system next week. I would like to tune the center and front fill speakers so that they will have good voice intelligibility and I would like to use a recorded voice for this. I can record myself counting or reading a book. I am wandering whether there is some standard recording that many people use for this type of job (like everyone used the Donald Fagen Nightfly to tune music systems)?

I would not use any recorded material for system "tuning".

That should be done by a much more modern method-such as measuring.  The mic is not as easily "fooled" as you ear can be.

Now regarding the "checkout" and to make sure and to see how well it is really doing, that is a different story.  By all means use recorded material.

I have actually had people INSIST (but I did not do it anyway) that I tune the entire system based on THEIR voice.  OH BTW, they did not want me to make it sound natural-they wanted their voice to big and boomy with lots of detail on the top end.

OH yeah-tune the system to a single "instrument" so that it is not natural sounding.  Yeah that's gonna work well Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Eytan Gidron

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 03:51:11 PM »

Of course Ivan, you are correct. I intend to use transfer function measurement in order to adjust, gain, time and filters, I just didn't mention it. The recorded voice is just to see if I like the result of these adjustments, and to see whether there are things that need improvement.
Eytan Gidron
BETTY BAM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 16 queries.