ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trig? help... anyone?  (Read 13131 times)

Andy Zimmerman

Re: Trig? help... anyone?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2010, 09:07:34 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 19:12

Recording conversations that are not face to face, in-person encounters are different, as are recordings made without the knowledge (and presumably, consent) of the individuals involved.  The link to the Reporter's Freedom of the Press page highlights how these are different from recording in-person encounters.

Many law enforcement agencies record audio or audio & video of every officer encounter with the public.  In my area, the Kansas Highway Patrol and Sedgwick County Sheriff have recorders & cameras in every patrol vehicle, and the city PD is outfitting their cars gradually.  Oddly, the people who clamored for recorders are finding "their people" don't seem quite as innocent or maligned as their leaders believed.  Oops, might be drifting into verboten territory...

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps. recording encounters with L.E.O., unless it's already being done by the departments, is likely to be seen by the officer as provocative but any decent cop will just nod and go on.

Tim,
IMO, if you are going to record a LEO during a traffic stop, you darned well better cover your ass and make sure it is legal, because you may have to prove it - either to him, or in a court of law, and be prepared to deal with the consequences after that.

Copy and pasted from the aforementioned website:

"In Illinois, an eavesdropping device cannot be used to record or overhear a conversation without the consent of all parties to the conversation. 720 Ill. Compiled Stat. Ann. 5/14-1, -2. An eavesdropping device is defined as anything used to hear or record a conversation, even if the conversation is conducted in person."

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=07200 0050HArt.+14&ActID=1876&ChapAct=720%26nbsp  ;ILCS%26nbsp;5/&ChapterID=53&ChapterName=CRIMINAL+OF  FENSES&SectionID=60651&SeqStart=26600000&SeqEnd= 27800000&ActName=Criminal+Code+of+1961.'

"(b) The eavesdropping of an oral conversation or an electronic communication between any law enforcement officer, State's Attorney, Assistant State's Attorney, the Attorney General, Assistant Attorney General, or a judge, while in the performance of his or her official duties, if not authorized by this Article or proper court order, is a Class 1 felony.
(Source: P.A. 91‑357, eff. 7‑29‑99; 91‑657, eff. 1‑1‑00.)"

Interesting reading: http://reason.com/archives/2010/12/07/the-war-on-cameras

Chuck Harrigan

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2010, 10:45:01 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 09:58

Andy Zimmerman wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 08:00

drewgandy wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 23:08

btw, are there any issues with audio recording the interaction with an officer during a traffic stop?  

drew

You would have to look into the laws in your state to be certain, but in general you can't record such audio without the permission of all parties involved (ie the officer). Doing so w/o permission can lead to more problems (ie additional charges).

Nonsense. You are in a public place. You can record inside your vehicle, it is your property.  The Laws regarding recording stipulate that as long as one party knows of the recording, it is legal.

Hammer

If the device is in plain sight, then it can be surmised that all parties involved could have known about the recording.

also from a lawyer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
There is no electronic solution to a personnel problem.

-Andy Peters

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2010, 11:18:45 PM »

Chuck Harrigan wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 21:45

If the device is in plain sight, then it can be surmised that all parties involved could have known about the recording.

So I could start off by saying "Officer, my phone may or may not be recording right now."?

Quote:

"There is no electronic solution to a personnel problem.

-Andy Peters"

Have you seen Futurama?

Bob Leonard

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 10:27:48 AM »

David,
I must have 50 friends that are cops. The magistrates discount was no discount. It was the magistrate telling you that he believes you were speeding, but not going as fast as the cop says.

Knowing about the LIDAR won't help your case. Basic math skills and pictures will help your case. Get out to the site and take pictures which show how the cop could have made a mistake, measure some distances from point A to B and do some math.

And where in the Boston area did you get tagged?
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »

This is all you need to know for any 2D trig problem with a right angle:

Oscar Had A Handful Of Apples.

Sin  Opposite/Hypotenuse
Cos  Adjacent/Hypotenuse
Tan  Opposite/Adjacent

-Dennis

edit:  Sorry, I thought the OP was a geometry question.

-DW
Good music is good forever, but you can't make bad music sound good.  You can only turn it down.

David C Nickerson

The Verdict
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 12:18:04 PM »

After tons of homework, learning that LIDAR has been thrown out and is no longer admissable in NJ and OH, I thought I would be prepared to present a solid defense at yesterday's hearing before the judge and the Trooper.

I ended up not needing any of it.  

I approached another trooper in court before we went on, and asked if he could answer a few questions for me.  He was super-cool and helpful.

He basically said that they'd seen it all before, and that all of my homework would just "make me look like a fool".  After "my" trooper arrived, the two of them spoke, and I thought the worst as there was some subdued laughing back and forth between the two.  I approached "my" trooper, and asked if he'd mind stepping outside to speak with me.  I described all that I'd prepared, and acknowledged that I was confident that he'd still win, and asked if there was anything he could do to help me avoid the "points" penalty that is the big problem with getting a ticket in Massachusetts.   (over the next 6 years, I could pay a total in penalties of more than $2000, because of one speeding ticket).

He also suggested that I don't bother with all of my defense, and just tell the judge: "I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was speeding".  

I've got a little history with the Mass. State Police, so I was a bit hesitant to trust in this advice, but while standing before the judge, "my" trooper after concluding his description of my offense said: "Your Honor, I'd like to add that during the traffic stop Mr. Nickerson was very courteous and polite".

I somehow took that as a sign that I should trust and go the route he advised.  

I did, and was elated when the judge gave me word that I was "Not responsible."
 Clearly the "Courteous and Polite" was the codeword.

So, thanks to the Mass. State Police troopers who took good care of me yesterday.

And thanks to everyone here for advice in this thread.

Best,
David

Dick Rees

Re: The Verdict
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »

index.php/fa/34648/0/

Congratulations!
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Chris Hindle

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »

I have a fairly easy "rule" to remember when dealing with cops.
Be a prick, you'll get screwed.
After all, "they" are people too. Sometimes the hat may be a little small for the head, but if we can deal with prima-donna "Artists", how tough can it be to deal with someone that works for a living ?
"Ya, whatever. Just stick a '57 on it, and get off the stage"
Chris.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 08:02:55 AM »

David C Nickerson wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 11:18

(snip) I've got a little history with the Mass. State Police, so I was a bit hesitant to trust in this advice, but while standing before the judge, "my" trooper after concluding his description of my offense said: "Your Honor, I'd like to add that during the traffic stop Mr. Nickerson was very courteous and polite". (un-snip)

Best,
David

An old adage is coming to mind..."An ounce of prevention....."

It's worth a look.... Very Happy
Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.