Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: a.b.a.  (Read 6804 times)

John Roberts {JR}

Re: piling on.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 02:51:03 PM »

Yet that observation doesn't lead me to take cheap shots. Because they don't have a credible presence here defending their honor, doesn't mean they should be underestimated.

While some products deserve scorn, their successes balance them out as a business. I actually applaud their willingness to try something different, even when those product attempts may no work for the big leaguers here.

I am more critical of the companies that don't take chances and just copy other people's winners. Note: Some of Bose's better products borrow liberally from other's technology too, but that is not a new concept among successful companies. When technology is public domain use the best of breed technology available to you.

Yes the acronyms are funny but mean spirited, IMO. I guess mean is OK in the basement. Be sure to say something kind to balance out your karma account.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Clarke LaPlante

• http://www.clarkelaplante.com
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 05:15:53 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 14:51

Yes the acronyms are funny but mean spirited, IMO. I guess mean is OK in the basement. Be sure to say something kind to balance out your karma account.

JR

Fair enough.

At least the EQ curve you have to apply will make you smile.  Well, it'll make the EQ smile, anyway. Laughing

Like I said, Better Sound Through Marketing

-C
"Friends don't let friends mix monitors."
My slice of the www.

Jon Smith

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 12:51

Yet that observation doesn't lead me to take cheap shots. Because they don't have a credible presence here defending their honor, doesn't mean they should be underestimated.

While some products deserve scorn, their successes balance them out as a business. I actually applaud their willingness to try something different, even when those product attempts may no work for the big leaguers here.

I am more critical of the companies that don't take chances and just copy other people's winners. Note: Some of Bose's better products borrow liberally from other's technology too, but that is not a new concept among successful companies. When technology is public domain use the best of breed technology available to you.

JR

JR, Maybe through their success we may be a group of Bitter Old Sound Engineers  Laughing
My only real worry is they'll solve the problem just before I release my protest song

Life is timing, Living kills you!

mark anderson

• http://www.monroecrossing.com
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 03:19:09 AM »

JR, I respect your opinion but I have to say that we spent 40 minutes waiting for our food only to eat as quickly as possible to escape the 100hz drone of a bose "subwoofer" and that entitles me to an opinion. And that opinion is that bose uses finely tuned marketing campaign to foist unworthy equipment on uneducated people. True, it could have been the install but the performance of the system was consistent with other bose systems I've heard.

"Let the products sell themselves.
F**k advertising commercial psychology,
Psychological methods to sell should be destroyed."
Thank you D. Boon.

I've heard similar systems with better drivers and the results are impressive. It's not that the tech is always bad but the implementation and component quality never equals the hype. If they actually put as much into the substance as the advertising, they might be a worthy competitor in the audio world.

Not that this is a problem exclusively owned by BOSE...
Those who willfully refuse to learn from history condemn the rest of us to repeating it.

My band: http://www.monroecrossing.com
My forum: http://www.BluegrassForum.com

Ivan Beaver

Re: piling on.-Applications
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 08:01:34 AM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 14:51

JR

I think a lot of the BOSE issues in the pro world could happen to anybody.

Over the years I have used a fair number of various BOSE products in installs.

THey have all worked well-and in some cases beyond my expectations.

However there are many situations out there in which simply the wrong product (or type of product) is used for the job.  ANd when it doen't work well-the product is blamed-NOT the guy who used the wrong tool Rolling Eyes

You hear it all the time "Well I heard a BOSE system in so and so room and it sucked".  Yeah and so would any other system of the same type in that applicaion.

Now some of the marketing would believe you to think that all you have to do to design a system is to "stick it in the room", and that is just plain wrong.  And the people who do that are not designers-they are just trying to move product.

My real issues with BOSE are not so much the product (and the applications and marketing etc-which I won't go into), but rather with their business practices in which we have been screwed.  We used to install a fair number of systems with various BOSE products (when it was the right tool for the job), but when we were screwed over one to many times-we stopped selling it.

They would like for us to continue selling their gear-but it is real hard when we do all the work and get the client sold on the product/job and then the "mother company" steps in and gives the work to a trunk slammer who is not even licensed Mad .  Well that really pisses us off.

NAH-I think I'll pass on BOSE.

And no, as tempting as it is-I will not pile on. Laughing   I would rather put the screws to the company in another way-by simply not specing or buying their products.  I give the work to other manufacturers who treat their dealers better.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 09:12:01 AM »

mark anderson wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 02:19

JR, I respect your opinion but I have to say that we spent 40 minutes waiting for our food only to eat as quickly as possible to escape the 100hz drone of a bose "subwoofer" and that entitles me to an opinion. And that opinion is that bose uses finely tuned marketing campaign to foist unworthy equipment on uneducated people. True, it could have been the install but the performance of the system was consistent with other bose systems I've heard.

I have no love for the product or the company. I hope you are also angry at the person who bought and installed the system, and the operator who made the unpleasant sounds.  If the food didn't suck, you hopefully told the proprietor that their sound was not up standard.
Quote:

"Let the products sell themselves.
F**k advertising commercial psychology,
Psychological methods to sell should be destroyed."
Thank you D. Boon.

I don't have much sympathy for consumers. They are willing participants in the game to differentiate mostly me-too products. How many punters here argue about the merits of damping factor and other technical terms they barely understand, because somebody pitched it to them.

Caveat emptor, and ignorance is it's own punishment.  

I've seen too many (IMO good) products die on the vine due to lack of effective marketing. It all has it's place in a properly functioning market.  
Quote:

I've heard similar systems with better drivers and the results are impressive. It's not that the tech is always bad but the implementation and component quality never equals the hype. If they actually put as much into the substance as the advertising, they might be a worthy competitor in the audio world.

Not that this is a problem exclusively owned by BOSE...

No doubt.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.