ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping Calculations  (Read 5821 times)

Ian Coughlin

Shipping Calculations
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »

How do you figure out basic shipping [of heavy items, such as sub woofers]?  

Example:  Shipping 4 TH-115's from CA to NY?!

I googled and ended up on FedEx and im getting rates upwards of $2k!  I can't see how this could be right when the companies who manufacture these things ship 100's or 1000's.

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
Re: Shipping Calculations
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »

Freightquote.com
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Andy Zimmerman

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:08:31 PM »

It's too bad DHL pulled out of the US market - I was able to ship a pair of Peavey DTH2's to the east coast for around $60 ea.

With a package the size you are wanting to ship, at least as far as the parcel companies (FedEx, UPS, etc) are concerned, you have three areas to be worried about - weight, dimensions (length and girth) and dimensional weight. There are different levels of packages that can have vastly different shipping rates. The speakers I shipped were right on the line between Oversized 1 and 2 (IIRC). The difference was almost double the cost, due to the thickness of the cardboard box they were shipped in. Look at FedEx's shipping info and see if you can fudge the packaging for a cheaper rate. Maybe consider shipping some parts separately to fall under the 150# limit. If you go the FreightQuote route, it helps to have a dock to pick up the speakers from, and deliver to. I think it saves around $200 - $300 ea.

http://images.fedex.com/ca_english/shippingguide/preparepack age/packagingbrochure.pdf

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:25:43 PM »

I use www.freightcenter.com for my shipping. Good customer service, and good prices.

Usually, you can figure about $1/pound for freight shipping. A 200lb item will be about $200 to ship.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Ian Coughlin

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:50:22 AM »

Not bad, between between $421 and $1700 and 4-7 days for a class 92.5 and 608lb pallet...

Is there a height limit for pallets? figuring 4 on would give a height of 56"

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:08 PM »

Ian Coughlin wrote on Wed, 05 January 2011 00:50

Not bad, between between $421 and $1700 and 4-7 days for a class 92.5 and 608lb pallet...

Is there a height limit for pallets? figuring 4 on would give a height of 56"

Those prices are terrible. Use freightquote.

I just shipped a 550 pound pallet of LAB subwoofers across the country for $200 or so, with freightquote.

NEVER pay a freight company directly. Most corporate accounts are from 55 to 85% off the "street" rates; this is how freightquote and others get things so cheap.

Mike Pyle

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »

Ship them two to a pallet so they don't hang over. Box them or wrap them with cardboard and band them to the pallet. If you don't they will be scarred when you receive them. Include the weight of your pallets and packing in the shipping weight. I'm not sure about the 92.5 NMFC class, loudspeakers in cabinets usually ship class 100.

It's better to pay a little extra to ship them properly than deal with the consequences.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Ian Coughlin

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »

Silas, Thanks ill check it out later today.

Mike, thank you as well.  I had no idea what the class was and googled it which pulled up a class calculator and thats what it said.  Ill try the new specs on freightquote as Silas suggested.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »

Ian,

You need to pretend that evil gnomes are going to be trying to damage your pallet with whatever they can get, banging it around in the truck and dragging other pallets against it and scuffing it with forks.

Wrap your speakers in cardboard and tape well. Put them on the pallet and band it tightly. Then wrap it all in plastic, and under the last layer or two of plastic put a shipping label... then when it ends up in Kalamazoo you have some recourse. Put your contact info on the label, or that of the consignee.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Stavross (Sam Buck)

• http://www.thereverb.net
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Wed, 05 January 2011 15:06

Ian,

You need to pretend that evil gnomes are going to be trying to damage your pallet with whatever they can get, banging it around in the truck and dragging other pallets against it and scuffing it with forks.

Wrap your speakers in cardboard and tape well. Put them on the pallet and band it tightly. Then wrap it all in plastic, and under the last layer or two of plastic put a shipping label... then when it ends up in Kalamazoo you have some recourse. Put your contact info on the label, or that of the consignee.

Good advice but I will add two things. Use multiple shiping labels, at the very least on on each end of the pallet. Also if you can put something on top of the subs(empy box works) so it is not possible for the shipping company to stack another pallet on top of yours do that.
Wanted in three states for breaking ohm's law.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.