Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer FUD Forum Archive

LA 400 + SH-50

(1/5) > >>

Helge A. Bentsen:
I currently own four Danley SH-50, but no subwoofers. I've been offered 8 Eaw LA400 for a reasonable price, but I can't try them before I buy them (distance related ).

Have anybody tried using LA400 and SH-50s together?
Opinions?

Silas Pradetto:
If that's enough sub for your needs and you have the capability to align the SH50s to the horn subs, you will be fine.

Art Welter:
Helge A. Bentsen wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 10:14
I currently own four Danley SH-50, but no subwoofers. I've been offered 8 Eaw LA400 for a reasonable price, but I can't try them before I buy them (distance related ).

Have anybody tried using LA400 and SH-50s together?
Opinions?

I have not used the two together, but:

The LA400 can get loud, but does not go very deep, it is rated +/- 3dB 45 to 250, but is already 10 dB down at 40 Hz. In a block of 8, they will go lower, but not much.

The SH 50 is also 10 dB down at 40 Hz.

Unless you are just looking for more kick, you would be more happy with subs that can provide another octave below the top cabinet.

Helge A. Bentsen:
Thank you for your replies  

I did a quick comparison between one LA400

http://eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_Product_Info/Current_Lou dspeakers/LA400/LA400_SPECS_rev1.pdf

and one SB1000

http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_Product_Info/Current _Loudspeakers/SB1000z/SB1000zR_SPECS_revB.pdf

I've rented and used four sb1000 with my sh-50s in the past, so I know how they perform together. To me it looks like the sb1000 is -3dB around 35hz and -10dB around 30hz, approx. 10 hz lower than the LA400.

I've never a/b-ed two subwoofers with a 10dB difference in -3dB-point.
How "big" an issue are those 10hz?

Tim McCulloch:
You will feel it.  You will hear it, too, but might not be able to describe what is different.  To a certain extent this is one of those "you have to hear it to understand" things.

FWIW, there is a visceral difference between the JBL 4880 and 4880A subs.  The specs show the -3 and -10db freqs of each to be within 2hz of each other, but there is a palpable difference between the way they sound/feel at the lowest half octave.  The difference might not seem obvious in the spec, but they are real.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version