Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting FUD Forum Archive

Walk away, walk away...

(1/4) > >>

Duane Massey:
Some of you may laugh at this. A potential client contacted me about a large c/w venue being constructed looking for a quote on a sound and lighting system. I normally refer such clients to one of the companies I do sub-contract work for, but she was referred to me by one of these companies. Room is 15,000 sq ft, 30' peaked ceiling, blah, blah. Live music/DJ, local acts only, no specifics.

I threw together a package for stage and DF, nothing exciting but decent gear, and came in at around $50k + install.

She was almost insulted. They want a system for under $15k that the bands can just walk in, plug in, and play. No house engineer, no FOH mixer. And the lights should be automatic, no controller.

I called the company that referred her to me and thanked them profusely. My hourly rate for them may go up in the future...

Charlie Zureki:
Duane Massey wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 22:43
Some of you may laugh at this. A potential client contacted me about a large c/w venue being constructed looking for a quote on a sound and lighting system. I normally refer such clients to one of the companies I do sub-contract work for, but she was referred to me by one of these companies. Room is 15,000 sq ft, 30' peaked ceiling, blah, blah. Live music/DJ, local acts only, no specifics.

I threw together a package for stage and DF, nothing exciting but decent gear, and came in at around $50k + install.

She was almost insulted. They want a system for under $15k that the bands can just walk in, plug in, and play. No house engineer, no FOH mixer. And the lights should be automatic, no controller.

I called the company that referred her to me and thanked them profusely. My hourly rate for them may go up in the future...

You should send her a quote for a Karoke player, a couple of speakers on sticks and a GC light system.

Hammer

Ivan Beaver:
Duane Massey wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 23:43
. And the lights should be automatic, no controller.

Two words "The clapper".  Put a bunch of these in the par cans and call it a day.

Jason Lavoie:
Duane Massey wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 23:43
 They want a system for under $15k that the bands can just walk in, plug in, and play. No house engineer, no FOH mixer. And the lights should be automatic, no controller.

$15k/mo right? Lol

Jason

Silas Pradetto:
People just don't get it.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version