Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Product Reviews: Sound Reinforcement FUD Forum Archive

JBL ASB6125

<< < (2/6) > >>

Grant Conklin:
Duane Massey wrote on Sun, 02 January 2011 20:51
Why does any manufacturer not include meaningful specs with their products? It's impossible to evaluate a speaker without real numbers unless you can actually demo one in a real-world environment.

I agree.  Fulcrum is making an honest effort by including "Nominal Sensitivity" (presumably the number you compare to less scrupulous manufacturers) and "Equalized Sensitivity" charts and graphs.  They also base their calculated max output on the AES rating of their speakers.

If Systune and Smaart files were available for download, one would be able to compare between manufacturers in much more meaningful ways.  

Grant

Duane Massey:
Grant, the most useful item on their specs is the graph showing response in a half-space environment. What I don't see is how they claim 102db nominal sensitivity, unless this number refers to the highest level within the stated operating range.

Response graphs are much more informative to me than all the various sensitivity mumbo-jumbo that seems to be the norm. Power handling is useful, but no one talks about the actual effects of power compression, so you rarely see max output as a measured spec, but nearly always a calculated spec.

I know, bitch, bitch, bitch. Fulcrum is certainly better than most.

Ivan Beaver:
Grant Conklin wrote on Sun, 02 January 2011 22:09
If Systune and Smaart files were available for download, one would be able to compare between manufacturers in much more meaningful ways.  

Grant

Even then, there would be other "issues" at play in "the game".  Such as drive signal-was it a voltage or referenced to a wattage-based on a rated impedance?

How far was the measurement taked from the box?

Clearly stated half or whole space.

What is the 0dB reference? The rated sensitivity or something else?

Single box of a group of boxes and back calculated and presented as single box?

It is only when the manufacturer is trying to be honest (and not getting caught up in the "numbers" game) that you can start to really compare with a degree of accuracy.

Are they trying to show what the box REALLY does or what they "wish" it would do?

Ivan Beaver:
Duane Massey wrote on Sun, 02 January 2011 21:51
Why does any manufacturer not include meaningful specs with their products? It's impossible to evaluate a speaker without real numbers unless you can actually demo one in a real-world environment.

What would be your list of meaningful specs that you would like to see?

Caleb Dick:
Frequency response and output at the level where 3dB of deviation from the norm occurs. It's the torture test Pat Brown does.

Also a frequency vs. time domain impulse taken at 4x the drive level of the above test.
Looking for max real long-term output, freq at that level, and how accurately it handles transients.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version