ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus StudioLive over Midas?  (Read 37266 times)

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
Re: design swerve
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 20:06

Kristian Johnsen wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 09:36

Steve Payne wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 17:32

Michael Ace Baker wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 15:17

Howdy fellas,

Ace here....don't want to start any trouble.....just thought I'd make a few points.

First of all, what's wrong with the Prius?

Hiya Ace,
  I won't touch the rest of this discussion, other than to say: Glad the Presonus deal is working out for you.

But, really, what's wrong with a Prius!! ...

Steering, brakes, accelerator are all completely divorced of any feel for what they are doing.

In a year and a half, the sole redeeming feature of this miserable mode of transportation (it does not DESERVE to be called a car) was dribbling gas into the tank at the the gas station.  A benefit paid for dearly by every other negative attribute.

That's what's wrong with a Prius.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Cheers.

What did a 02R cost when it came out?  And how was the feature set compared to a digital mixer of today?

New tech has to start somewhere.  Hybrids/electrics will get there IMO.  And some design features in whatever car you and I buy 10 years from may be based on the failures of the Prius.

Just saying.

Steam power preceded electric power by about sixty years, and electrics preceded gas powered autos by about twenty years.Electric vehicles have been around since the 1830s, I'm not holding my breath regarding the "new tech".

By the way, one guy working out of his garage in Minneapolis in around 1992 built a hybrid using off the shelf parts from his day job at Tenant (they make electric and fuel powered cleaning equipment), and a kit VW Kharman Ghia that did better than 60 mpg, and would beat the pants off a Prius. Total costs IIRC were less than $20,000.

Meanwhile, the big three USA auto manufactures were asking for billions in government funding for "research" to achieve that same goal...

So what's your point?

Many people are surprised to hear how long electric vehicles have been around.

And cars generally gave the same mileage in 1970 as today.  The difference is that now we want bigger, safer and more comfortable which burns up (literally) the gains of the new combustion engine technology.

Compare a mobile phone of the '80 to the ones of today.  The transmitter wattage is still 2 watts (here at least), but compare the battery size and standby time.  Battery tech is improving.

Moby (Mike Diack)

Re: Presonus StudioLive over Midas?
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »

Steve Payne wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 05:32

....really, what's wrong with a Prius!!
Cheers.

Hey, it's the only car you can use as a whole house UPS
http://priups.com/
Brought to you by the bloke who invented some of pro-audio's best loved toys.

Chris Davis

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »

Moby (Mike Diack) wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 20:08

Steve Payne wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 05:32

....really, what's wrong with a Prius!!
Cheers.

Hey, it's the only car you can use as a whole house UPS
http://priups.com/
Brought to you by the bloke who invented some of pro-audio's best loved toys.

What about when the wife has the car?  Or is this just something for single guys?  Laughing I think I'll stay with our "expensive whole house generator".  It has been about ten years and no power outages beyond ten seconds. Cool

Michael Ace Baker

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2011, 03:00:06 PM »

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems.....sounds frustrating.

I've never tried to link up 2 boards together, so I'll defer to your opinion on that, but as I've already mentioned, I've had many hours of recording (26 channels at a time, 1 hour of Soundcheck and 2 hours of show), and never had a drop out. I used 2 different consoles (1 in L.A. and 1 in Europe), and the PCAudioLabs Rok Box to record. I would record straight to the computer's hard drive and then dump to an independent hard drive after the show.

I didn't have any problems with faders growing quirky and I actually like the rubber buttons.....but I guess that's a "taste" thing.

If you've just had enough with trying to get the StudioLive to work and you are fine with just using the SL as the "community talent show rig", then I guess that's that.....but perhaps you may want to consider getting the folks at PreSonus on the phone and figuring out what your recording issue is, because I had nothing but success with it.

Living the Dream.

Dick Rees

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2011, 03:23:20 PM »

Michael Ace Baker wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 14:00

I used 2 different consoles (1 in L.A. and 1 in Europe), and the PCAudioLabs Rok Box to record. I would record straight to the computer's hard drive and then dump to an independent hard drive after the show.

Which model Rok Box?

Capture or Studio One?

More info, please.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »

I've used exactly 2 SL16's and both had issues. One has a bad subgroup fader and all the faders don't track exactly right with the "locate" lights.  The other one failed to boot up properly and has locked up occasionally during use. I guess you could say I've experienced a %100 failure rate with the studiolive consoles. Thats enough for me....
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 16 queries.